garnet80

Vancouver interview question (K1)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I have been reading over the reviews of the Vancouver interviews. Most of the questions that seem to always be asked are easy, no problem.

The one that trips us up, is, how much does your fiance make? I make like $7k a year. I make minimum wage, raise freeze at my retail company, and my hours are whatever they feel like giving me that week. (I'm looking for something else.) This is why we have a co-sponsor (she makes something like 6-8k over the requirement)... but that sounds REALLY bad. Does anyone have experience with this? How can he answer this so it isn't like, omg, how are you going to live until you begin work?

My mother and I share a house, we each pay our own bills, but help each other as needed. My fiance moving in, it wont be a problem.

It just seems like if he says "Around seven thousand a year" ... ouch.

Also, I work retail. My mom works retail. Likely, my fiance will be working some form of retail once legally able to work. Is this looked down upon?

We are waiting for his packet 4 letter any day now, so we are trying to prepare for the interview.

Thank you for any assistance!

2011.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't have a co-sponsor but never in my interview did they ask how much my fiance made.... they asked what he did and that was it.

I was also interviewed in Montreal so I don't know how much help this is. If you have a co-sponsor I don't think you'll have problems.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

My USC now-wife was unemployed through the whole process. When they asked me what she made I said she was between jobs right now. The IO expressed some concern about how I would get health insurance with an unemployed USC spouse, but as the co sponsor (my now mother in law)'s I-134 showed her to be well above the poverty thresholds, it wasn't a problem for approval.

The IO's overriding concern is whether your fiance meets the legal requirement "not likely [in the estimation of the IO] to become a public charge." Work in retail is still work, and shouldn't be a problem, especially if he already has work experience in the field.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

I was interview in montreal too -

I was asked what job I would look for when I got to the USA. I took this as a trick question bcus K-1 cant have a job here when they get here lol..

I told him " When I get EAD or green card FIRST. I will then look for retail or a profesional assistants job with my degree. " The interviewer smiled and he said good good.

(I really do think it was a trick question!)

I dont see why retail would be a problem.. its the most common job for anyone to take and I would guess most people doing visas would get a retail job first.. its very hard to get high position jobs right off the bat in a country you never worked in before.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.