Yilun

Need Help - USCIS Approved to NVC - What Next?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Korea DPR
Timeline

Hello all,

I applied for both the I-130 and I129F in conjunction for my wife in Korea. Both were approved at the same time by USCIS and is not en route to the NVC processing center.

I believe the next step is for the NVC to forward our paperwork to the proper U.S. Consulate in Korea near her residence is this correct?

After that, what's the next steps that we should expect? I keep hearing about these "packets 3" and "packets 4" but not sure what people are referring to. Once the U.S. Consulate receives the paperwork from the NVC, will they contact my wife to schedule the interview?

If anyone can detail out the exact steps and process after this stage, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hello all,

I applied for both the I-130 and I129F in conjunction for my wife in Korea. Both were approved at the same time by USCIS and is not en route to the NVC processing center.

I believe the next step is for the NVC to forward our paperwork to the proper U.S. Consulate in Korea near her residence is this correct?

After that, what's the next steps that we should expect? I keep hearing about these "packets 3" and "packets 4" but not sure what people are referring to. Once the U.S. Consulate receives the paperwork from the NVC, will they contact my wife to schedule the interview?

If anyone can detail out the exact steps and process after this stage, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Hello Alan and welcome to VJ,

First you need to be very careful with your typing and wording...both here and when filing your paperwork with the USCIS, etc. One small word can change the meaning of everything. Example: You said that "is not enroute to the NVC Processing Center." I read your posting and thought...Their petition was approved but it was NOT sent to the NVC because that is what you wrote. However, reading it a second time I realized that you must have meant to use NOW instead of NOT. You could have avoided any confusion by elimininating that word and simply said: "is enroute to the NVC Processing Center."

Yes, you are correct...the NVC sends your approved petition to the consulate where your wife will eventually have her interview for the VISA.

The consulate in Korea will send your wife a "Packet 3" with specific instructions on what to do and what will be needed to have them set an interview appointment with her. They will NOT contact your wife to set up the interview. The responsibility will be upon your wife to complete their request for information and that she has all the necessary paperwork. In many cases she can notify them by FAXing an OF-169 Form with whatever else is requested...copy of her Passport, Biographic Data, etc. THEN, and only THEN will the Embassy send a letter to your wife with an appointment date and time.

Finally, many countries do not use a "Packet 4" any longer. Check the specific information in this forum as to whether or not Korea uses it. I cannot answer anything about "Packet 4" for you.

Regards,

Franc

PS I was not trying to call you down about your usage of words in your posting but I have seen many people get confused and upset when the correct words are not used. For example: Some people write "I filed a VISA application for my fiance/wife..." The correct terminology is NOT "application"...it is a "PETITION." Everyone on here will try to help you....try to help us too. Do you have a timeline filled out on VJ?

12.31.2009 I-129F Visa Petition rec'd at CSC

01.04.2010 I-797 NOA Receipt Notice WAC1006xxxxxx

03.02.2010 Request for Evidence: CSC wanted copy of previous divorce decree. Arrived @ CSC 03.12.1010

03.16.2010 I-797 NOA-2 Approved and sent from California Service Center 71 Days from NOA-1

03.16.2010 USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center.

03.23.2010 NVC sent file to U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica! SNJ2010XXXXXX

03.26.2010 Received NVC letter (hard copy) dated March 24, 2010 in the mail.

03.27.2010 File arrived @ U.S. Embassy.

04.07.2010 Embassy called for Elsie to come and get Packet #3. She will pick up April 13th.

04.08.2010 Embassy e-mailed Packet #3 to me today.

04.15.2010 Interview scheduled for 30 April 2010

04.30.2010 Visas approved...pick up everything on 5/4/2010 @ 3pm.

05.05.2010 Traveling together to the USA...POE Denver, Colorado

07.28.2010 Married today...end to a long journey with more to come!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi Yilun,

I am glad to see your post because I am at the same step as you. I received the letter stating that the packet will be sent to my fiance in China. Now just waiting and nicely reminding her to check her mailbox since mail is not often delivered to "mailboxes" in China.

Also, I was just curious and do not mean any harm. I see your profile that it lists DPRK (north Korea) as your fiance's country. That is the first time I've seen a fiance from DPRK on this website. Have you been there before? What was the process for a US citizen to visit there? It is not one of the countries on the top of my list to visit but I really would like to visit sometime in the future. At least before any regime changes.

thanks and keep me updated, good luck.

--------------------------

05/2006 First met in Beijing, China

06/21/2006 Officially together

06/21/2006 to present-day continuously dated while working and living in Beijing, China

10/2006 My mom and aunt finally meet her

03/2007 My parents come to Beijing to meet her

05/2008 Our vacation to Shanghai

10/2008 Our vacation to Thailand. Sawadikaaaa

02/2009 Visit her family for Chinese New Year

10/2009 Our vacation to Malaysia and Macau. Ney ho ma?

05/2009 Began living together in Beijing, China

01/30/2010 Mailed I-129f certified mail to California Service Center

02/02/2010 NOA1

02/03/2010 Touched

03/05/2010 NOA2 APPROVED Emailed me, then checked USCIS website. I can't believe it was so fast!

03/26/2010 Received 'Packet 3' in China.

04/02/2010 Sent 'Packet 3' to Guangzhou consulate.

04/21/2010 Received email that interview will be June 8th!

??? Packet 4 received.

06/08/2010 Interview - Pink Slip!

07/26/2010 Arrived in the US

08/02/2010 Married at City Hall

09/21/2010 AOS sent out

12/17/2010 AOS interview but USCIS cancelled via letter

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If both the petitions were approved after FEBRUARY 1, 2010, the K-3 is dead to you.

Get ready for NVC. You're going the CR-1 route.

Hop on over to the March 2010 NVC thread, ya?

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello Alan and welcome to VJ,

First you need to be very careful with your typing and wording...both here and when filing your paperwork with the USCIS, etc. One small word can change the meaning of everything. Example: You said that "is not enroute to the NVC Processing Center." I read your posting and thought...Their petition was approved but it was NOT sent to the NVC because that is what you wrote. However, reading it a second time I realized that you must have meant to use NOW instead of NOT. You could have avoided any confusion by elimininating that word and simply said: "is enroute to the NVC Processing Center."

Yes, you are correct...the NVC sends your approved petition to the consulate where your wife will eventually have her interview for the VISA.

The consulate in Korea will send your wife a "Packet 3" with specific instructions on what to do and what will be needed to have them set an interview appointment with her. They will NOT contact your wife to set up the interview. The responsibility will be upon your wife to complete their request for information and that she has all the necessary paperwork. In many cases she can notify them by FAXing an OF-169 Form with whatever else is requested...copy of her Passport, Biographic Data, etc. THEN, and only THEN will the Embassy send a letter to your wife with an appointment date and time.

Finally, many countries do not use a "Packet 4" any longer. Check the specific information in this forum as to whether or not Korea uses it. I cannot answer anything about "Packet 4" for you.

Regards,

Franc

PS I was not trying to call you down about your usage of words in your posting but I have seen many people get confused and upset when the correct words are not used. For example: Some people write "I filed a VISA application for my fiance/wife..." The correct terminology is NOT "application"...it is a "PETITION." Everyone on here will try to help you....try to help us too. Do you have a timeline filled out on VJ?

Taking care with typing is critical but even more critical is correct information. This is not a K1 case. The OP thinks it's a K3 case but he's in for a rude awakening. NVC will administratively close his I-129F petition. Before the I-130 case file is forwarded to a Consulate, he'll be sending three packages of papers and paying two fees. THEN NVC will set an interview appointment and forward the case file.

The OP needs to study the CR1 guide and NVC shortcuts to be ready for this next phase of the CR1 immigrant spouse visa process.

K3 is extinct.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.