irishgirl73

Anyone ever filed a (I-601) waiver in Dublin?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As some of you know my man will be going back to the embassy in a few weeks to finish up with his interview. He is waiting for court transcripts because of two convictions(for being drunk in a public place). We found out that one case was dismissed all-together, leaving just one conviction for drunk & disordely. I have decided to prepare a waiver-JUST IN CASE.............although I am hoping that he will not be asked to file one. It is unclear whether he will need it but with the way our luck has been-I want to have it anyway.

I have been on immigrate2us and have seen some good letters, but I am finding it very difficult to prove hardship. Am I on the right track here-or way off?

1. My career-I work in fashion and although I did not go to college-I have a position that normally requires a degree-I would find it very difficult to earn the same salary in Ireland with no degree.

2. Health-I have general anxiety disorder(thanks USCIS) & most recently a broken collarbone that may require surgery.

3. Family-I am extremely close with my family-don't want to leave them(obviously I would elaborate). I take care of my elderly grandmother-she recently fell & broke her hip(I have been taking her to therapy).

4. Debt-I have a lot of it & wouldn't be able to pay it off if I lived in Ireland.

I need help guys-I really don't know how to prove hardship.

Any thoughts?????????????? :huh:

Edited by irishgirl73

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Timeline

I feel that way too but....................some say he will need one because it is more than one conviction.

we have had the worst luck throughout this nightmare so I figure better to be safe than sorry. I read that if the crimes do not equal a punishment totaling five years he won't need one-but you never know. I am a little relieved that the one was thrown out, so he has one remaining & he paid a 200 euro fine(being drunk on St. Patrick's Day-how ironic). To a person at the embassy they will still see it as "multiple convictions".

I still think I should write one to be safe

Edited by irishgirl73

Hi Irish,

Not sure you will need this but if it makes you feel better to be prepared then good luck.

I have some suggestions but I'm at work and really can't do very much right now. I will try to do a quick summary of what I can think of.

Your waiver if needed will go through London. London told my fiance that they like for you to write your own letter and not used an attorney. You both will have to write a letter. The way we done ours is the USC's letter should be more detailed with lots of supporting documents and signed dr's letters and so on. His can be more relaxed and almost a copy of yours. Lots of proof of rehabilitation and regret for what ever crime it was. Might even put a description of exactly what happened. Anything you can think of that would prove rehabilitation.

Think I would list your grandmothers situation first. Seems to be the strongest. Get signed statements from a dr for her condition, treatment and rehabilitation. What do you do for her and how often. Lots of details and reason you are the one responsible to do this for her. What would happen if you were not there to provide this care/ assistance.

Compare your salary vs working in Ireland. Do you have insurance coverage, retirement, anything you can think of.

Dr letters about your anxiety. Signed statement from him and what the results would be if you did not continue to receive treatment. Worst case possible. supporting documentation from internet. google your condition........... Statement from dr about your surgery, treatment, rehabilitation. Compare Ireland medical care to US. try to google that also.

Wow sorry this is a mess was trying to hurry. :lol:

Much luck,

Vicky , Baileyj

Edited by Baileyj96

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

Timeline

Thanks ;)

I am going to write some things today................as for HIS letter-he will have to explain that he got a little too drunk on St. Patrick's Day but has calmed down(not really-he is Irish :P ).

Anyway-thanks for the response I appreciate it. I am confused-why would the waiver go through London?

Colleen

Have a look here

http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/ivwaiver.html

http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/forms/i601_status-web.pdf (list of waivers filed and how many are waiting. )

The London Sub-office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has jurisdiction for adjudicating I-601 applications submitted to the Immigrant Visa Section at U.S. Embassies in the following countries: (1) United Kingdom; (2) Republic of Ireland; (3) Iceland; (4) Sweden; (5) Norway; (6) Denmark; and (7) Finland.

Vicky

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Ok I think you are very wise to prepare a waiver as your man has more than 1 conviction you say both being related to alcohol,why I say this is because I have several convictions and knew that I was going to need a waiver so as you will have a few spare hours is it not better to put the time to use preparing a waiver,hey if you dont need it then nothing lost but if you do well,forewarned is forearmed,please dont think that Im saying you WILL need a waiver just saying be one step ahead,

Hoo theer marra waat sek fettle?

wow a message from Ktmman without any sarcasm!!

I guess hell must have frozen over while I was gone! :D

Irishgirl, take Bailey's advice and try and concentrate on the HEALTH issues as much as possible, even stretch the truth a little if you can! Health issues are considered as priority in USCIS (along with kids etc.), other issues such as job prospects etc. come much further down the list...

:thumbs:

Timeline
wow a message from Ktmman without any sarcasm!!

I guess hell must have frozen over while I was gone! :D

Irishgirl, take Bailey's advice and try and concentrate on the HEALTH issues as much as possible, even stretch the truth a little if you can! Health issues are considered as priority in USCIS (along with kids etc.), other issues such as job prospects etc. come much further down the list...

:thumbs:

Thanks Paul ;)

I will have to focus on the health issues because I am going to have a VERY hard time proving hardship( I have family in Dublin, the economy is doing really well, ).

As for the health isuues-it is going to be gastrointestinal problems, stress and my shoulder( and my grandmother's health). I am still praying that he won't need one but..........I want to be prepared.

On a side note-does anyone know if Ireland has something similar to the K-1? I know Mary got one in London, but I have tried to research Ireland & didn't see much.

Hi Colleen

I have spoken with a very experienced member of this site re waivers as it is possible that we will also need one ;) anyway I did a letter as if it was Alan writing it, laying out just why he went off the rails at 16 -19 and how he has rehabilitated and she said it was brilliant, (this will be sent with our next set of forms, so prior to our interview, ) after all my hubby's last offence was 28 years ago and he is now 52 !!

Point is, apparently London DO like to see one not only from the petitioner but also the beneficiary. I sincerely hope you will not need one for what was after all just "one too many" and who has not done that. ( I know I have, many times :lol: )

I hope things go well when he returns to the embassy Colleen, will keep my fingers crossed for you both :thumbs:

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Timeline
Hi Colleen

I have spoken with a very experienced member of this site re waivers as it is possible that we will also need one ;) anyway I did a letter as if it was Alan writing it, laying out just why he went off the rails at 16 -19 and how he has rehabilitated and she said it was brilliant, (this will be sent with our next set of forms, so prior to our interview, ) after all my hubby's last offence was 28 years ago and he is now 52 !!

Point is, apparently London DO like to see one not only from the petitioner but also the beneficiary. I sincerely hope you will not need one for what was after all just "one too many" and who has not done that. ( I know I have, many times :lol: )

I hope things go well when he returns to the embassy Colleen, will keep my fingers crossed for you both :thumbs:

Thanks Munchkins ;)

I have been trying to write something all day-I have to be honest, I am having a really hard time. I know Gav will need to write a letter(that is also going to be difficult as well-the arrest was just 3 years ago-a bunch of his mates also got arrested on Paddy's Day-in my opinion, not a big deal but I don't work for the US gov't). I am going to think about it all tonight & get back to writing tomorrow. I have a few medical things(nothing major) but I am going to have a really difficult time proving hardship................I have no children and Dublin is doing so well economically at the moment.

Anyway-lots of luck to you...............keep me posted

Colleen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On a side note-does anyone know if Ireland has something similar to the K-1? I know Mary got one in London, but I have tried to research Ireland & didn't see much.

I just tried as well... kinda makes me wonder if a fiancee visa is not necessary to go there and marry. You could check with the embassy if you want to know all your options. I found this info:

If you are living in the USA the Irish Embassy contact details are

Address: 2234 Massachusetts Ave. N.W. Washington D.C. 20008-2849

Telephone: +1 202 462 3939

Fax: +1 202 232 5993

Email: embirlus@aol.com

Maybe you would like to email them just to get some ideas.

Hopefully you won't need a waiver though.

Have you thought about living there? Would you like to?

btw... I didn't get my UK fiancee visa IN London. I wish I could have.. I wish I could have married him there before coming back here to sell my house. I was required to return to the USA and file from here. I had to apply at the British embassy in Chicago. I was able to do that by mail however.. no interview was required. It took six days. I sent them all the same info that we had included in our I-129 application plus everything we took to the interview.. and more. It was quick but it was still alot of work. The fact that we had already gathered everything together helped alot. Just had to tailor it to their requirements.

mary

Edited by mary&tom

Tom (London)   Mary (Michigan)

Sept. 2003 - meet online, become friends

May 2004 - we have grown close

Nov. 2004 - Tom books a flight to Michigan for Jan. 2005

Jan. 17, 2005 - first meeting at the Detroit Airport, 16 days together!

Feb. 2. 2005 - Tom returns to London. We start investigating our options

April 7, 2005 - Tom arrives for another visit.

April 8, 2005 - engaged.

April 26, 2005 - K1 sent to Nebrasksa. Tom flies back to London :(

May 6, 2005 - NOA1

June 14, 2005 - Tom returns to the USA:)

July 5, 2005 - Tom goes back to London :(

July 25, 2005 - NOA2 email- waited 3 months

Aug. 22, 2005 - Tom receives Packet 3

Sept. 6, 2005 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

Oct. 20, 2005 - medical in London -booked 7 weeks earlier!

Nov. 9, 2005 - email embassy - have we have been forgotten?

Nov. 15, 2005 - Mary flies to London (Brixton) for 12 weeks

Nov. 18, 2005 - embassy replies to email, date assigned

Nov. 22, 2005 - Packet 4 received

Nov. 25, 2005 - interview in London - DENIED :(

Nov. 30, 2005 - mailed waiver

Feb. 6, 2006 - still waiting for decision. Mary extends stay from Feb. 7 to March 21

March 3, 2006 - WAIVER DENIED :(

March 2006 - Mary extends UK stay again. We rent a house near London (Gravesend) and move.

May 10th - Mary returns to USA - torn apart again

June 27, 2006 - Mary receives UK fiance visa

July 31,2006 - Mary sells house in USA

Sept. 1, 2006 - Mary moves to UK

Oct. 9, 2006 - wedding

Timeline

I just tried as well... kinda makes me wonder if a fiancee visa is not necessary to go there and marry. You could check with the embassy if you want to know all your options. I found this info:

If you are living in the USA the Irish Embassy contact details are

Address: 2234 Massachusetts Ave. N.W. Washington D.C. 20008-2849

Telephone: +1 202 462 3939

Fax: +1 202 232 5993

Email: embirlus@aol.com

Maybe you would like to email them just to get some ideas.

Hopefully you won't need a waiver though.

Have you thought about living there? Would you like to?

btw... I didn't get my UK fiancee visa IN London. I wish I could have.. I wish I could have married him there before coming back here to sell my house. I was required to return to the USA and file from here. I had to apply at the British embassy in Chicago. I was able to do that by mail however.. no interview was required. It took six days. I sent them all the same info that we had included in our I-129 application plus everything we took to the interview.. and more. It was quick but it was still alot of work. The fact that we had already gathered everything together helped alot. Just had to tailor it to their requirements.

mary

Thanks Mary!

I knew I read you got the fiance visa-just wasn't sure how you went about it. I was online all day researching-I am an idiot, I have called the Irish Embassy a few times about dual citizenship-I should have known to call them :wacko: Thanks for that info-you are the best.

I would live there! He wants to be here for now so I guess we will see how things go. I am lucky in a way because I can file for dual citizenship. My grandparents are from Dublin, so that entitles me to it. My Mom was born in London(technically I am a british citizen by birth, but I want to get my Irish citizenship). It figures that my Grandmother was on holiday in London when my Mom was born!!! If she weren't-I'd have my Irish Citizenship already.

I really really really hope he doesn't need the I-601-I am having the hardest time writing it. As I said-I guess I should be prepared. God forbid they give a visa to someone who was drinking too much Paddy's Day in Ireland(I shouldn't joke about it). Anyway-thanks again Mary.

Hope your move is going well(packing is a nightmare).

Colleen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not think you will need a waiver either, would have thought that is this was so they would automatically send out a waiver for all male Irish applicants.

But you have to remember that the waiver process is basically a game, you can find something nasty somewhere about every aspect of Irish life/society etc on some US Government web site.

I remember the first post I saw on waivers, it was for somewhere I had just come back from holiday to, great place. The letter made it look like Fallujah, but it was all cited from US government sources.

The funny thing was that the poster was from Detroit, which from what I can gather most people would be glad to get out of.

Couple of things to get you going:

Health system, must be stories of delays

The Troubles, safety.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.