caliguy77

Selective service question

5 posts in this topic

I was on F-1 Status thru my 26th birthday, and then got my CR after that. In n400 I stated that I never registered for selective service. What should I do to be prepared at the interview. any suggestions ? Does that cause issues. ? Any opinions suggestion please.

the link is good

thanks for posting

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I sent the following affidavit, signed by me.

Affidavit to explain why I did not register with Selective Service System

I, FirstName LastName, did not register with Selective Service System because I did not know that I was required to register.

I attended Nameof University when I was of age 22, 23 and 24. I was not told by anyone that I had to register for Selective Services.

I worked for Company Name Corp. when I was of age 24 and 25. They processed my work visa (H1B), but I was never informed that I needed to register for Selective Service.

I worked for Another Company Name Corp. when I was of age 25, 26 and beyond. They processed my permanent resident card (Green Card), but they never informed me that I needed to register with Selective Service.

I learned about requiring to register with Selective Service System for citizenship only in December 2009 when I was eligible for applying for citizenship and came across this requirement in Form M-476 (A Guide to Naturalization). At this time I was of age 34 and ineligible to register with Selective Service System.

Sincerely,

FirstName LastName

March 05, 2010

A#012-345-678

100 Main St.

City, ST 10010

USA

I was on F-1 Status thru my 26th birthday, and then got my CR after that. In n400 I stated that I never registered for selective service. What should I do to be prepared at the interview. any suggestions ? Does that cause issues. ? Any opinions suggestion please.

As I understand your case, since you were on F-1 status through your 26th birthday, the answer would have been "No" to question 33, assuming you did not violate your F-1 status. Since you were not required to register, you do not have to offer an explanation for not registering nor will one be asked from you. If you somehow answered "Yes" to question 33, you will have the opportunity to correct that during the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.