Together4ever

The Embassy Called Him???????????

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've been up since 3 am. Mohammed called. The Embassy called him and requested he bring $85.00 and to give his fingerprints. I only remember hearing of one other person getting this and that was Ahmed a while back. He did get his visa, but please I am a mess and I need some help and information.

They told Mohammed Washington is requesting his prints and they won't give him information on the status of his visa until after they receive his prints. As you will recall, the Embassy had just told me in an email (and I quote) "we assure the visa will be issued soon." Well, so much for their brand of "assurance".

Can anyone shed some light on WHY the Embassy is not only milking me for more money but needing his fingerprints? Yes, he has a common name but they said his checks were complete.

Also, can you give me some advise on which other thread to post this question on? I'm such a damn mess this morning after all my emotion yesterday, the phone call, the worry/confusion and no sleep... I just don't know which way to turn.

Thanks. I would also ask for not a lot of speculation. If anyone has some hard cold facts they would be much appreciated. (Be gentle, I'm really losing it here.)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jean,

I am so sorry to hear about this.

My understanding is that a name check hit can result in them requesting a full set of fingerprints. I tried to Google to find where I had read this, and this is the best I am coming up with (the terms they use can vary so it may be I am not searching on the right words):

"Many visa applicants with common names with those in the database get a "false hit": the refers to when a visa applicant's name matches a name in the datebase but is NOT actually that same person in the database, just a person with a common or very similar name. This places the case into what is called "Administrative Review". Under current rules, the Consulate is required in this circumstance to receive full clearance from FBI (via the NVC) before Consulate can issue the visa. It may require a full fingerprint check and customized investigation. Full clearance from FBI (via the NVC) in most cases can take 4 to 6 weeks, but in some cases much longer and even months."

http://www.usaimmigrationattorney.com/Secu...tiveReview.html

If you refer to the article, it lists the different checks and what they mean.

I would try to look at this positively. With a full set, they can clear up any false hits and get to the business of issuing the visa. (F)

Rebecca

I've been up since 3 am. Mohammed called. The Embassy called him and requested he bring $85.00 and to give his fingerprints. I only remember hearing of one other person getting this and that was Ahmed a while back. He did get his visa, but please I am a mess and I need some help and information.

They told Mohammed Washington is requesting his prints and they won't give him information on the status of his visa until after they receive his prints. As you will recall, the Embassy had just told me in an email (and I quote) "we assure the visa will be issued soon." Well, so much for their brand of "assurance".

Can anyone shed some light on WHY the Embassy is not only milking me for more money but needing his fingerprints? Yes, he has a common name but they said his checks were complete.

Also, can you give me some advise on which other thread to post this question on? I'm such a damn mess this morning after all my emotion yesterday, the phone call, the worry/confusion and no sleep... I just don't know which way to turn.

Thanks. I would also ask for not a lot of speculation. If anyone has some hard cold facts they would be much appreciated. (Be gentle, I'm really losing it here.)

That's what I tried to tell him, but he's inconsolable. He said he feels like a criminal and I guess I can understand his feeling. I don't dare tell him it's "review" or I fear for what it will do to him. I would presume this won't take much longer then the 6 weeks (can't even go there). To be honest, I had feared this from the beginning because of his name. Doesn't make me feel much better...

I don't mean to be a butt, however I don't think I can handle a lot of "so sorry" responses. I love you all, but I just cant handle this. If this goes for months... well no one here knows the story or what the implications of this are for us. I'm sitting at my desk trying not to cry. I just can't believe the sh*t luck.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sorry this is happening hun. Now I'm just sitting here waiting for Khallid to call me and tell me the same. Just more of the little games they must play. I keep telling myself it has to get better, right???? hang in there, we will get through this. (F)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Jean tell him to return to the embassy, pay the fee and submit the prints. He had a name hit in one of the data bases and to overcome it they must submit prints to Washington DC to clear his name. Good luck.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Yes. I'm well aware. Obviously he will be returning to give them what they ask for.

As usual, they gave him the call center number in Cairo to get his appointment and clearance to enter the embassy. As usual, they put him on hold for an hour, gave him a huge run around, and then just hung up on him saying "we can't help you." This prompted his second phone call to me at 4:30 am. I then got up and emailed the embassy explaining that yet again the call center is utterly useless and ended up costing him a wad of money and that we need their assistance to do what they require because the call center wouldn't cooperate. (This has happened on 2 other occasions... so head's up to any newbies going through Cairo.)

So, it's just Cairo sh*t as usual. But thanks for the obvious.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

D'oh. Pay em the money I suppose.

Hopefully, once he's here, inshaAllah ta'ala, your processing time for the AOS will be less because the FBI will have already checked him out 10 times.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

For clarification purposes... i was not complaining about paying. I was just frigging CONFUSED about what was happening. I was awakened at 3 am by a tearful SO who was in a panic. That's all I know. I somehow doubt AOS will go any shorter. Sorry I'm touchy as hell right now. I'm really hurting.

D'oh. Pay em the money I suppose.

Hopefully, once he's here, inshaAllah ta'ala, your processing time for the AOS will be less because the FBI will have already checked him out 10 times.

The security clearance for this part of the journey is through the DOS, totally different from during the AOS process where it lies with the DOJ and DHS. This is why after 8 months of AR for me, we are BACK on name check clearance after the AOS interview. It can happen.

Edited by lal_brandow

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi just_waiting,

As people have pointed out, yes its a name hit, etc. The only cold hard fact story I can give you is that my husband also has a common last name and was asked to come back and submit full fingerprints and $85USD after his initial interview. I was so upset, this was the first I had ever heard of fingerprints (everyone else I knew got their visa the day of the interview!).

I can only tell you that in our experience, it took exactly 4 week for the prints to come back and then another two weeks for the embassy to contact us and issue the visa.

It is embassy protocol but I completely understand that it does not make it easier.

Im a newbie here goin through Cairo I HOPE if they dont want my husnband in military here for 2 years (please pray for us)..my husbands first name is so common but not his last name...will this make a difference or do u suspect that we might also have this same 'false hit' problem when we go through the process? Just wonder THnks

Jean, wish you and your husband the best of luck

Aslamo alikom Jean,

first of all i would like to express my happiness with you and mohamed, and i can assure you from a practical prospective that inshallah Mohamd will get his visa, INSHALLAH, its just a matter of time.

me and my wife feelings were the same like you right now when the embassy called me one day in April 2006, and asked for fingerprints. although they told us before this that my adiministraive check has done.

and then i took appointment and they took my fingerprints, and after 3 weeks they clreared it. Once my prints were clreared, they put my case back in another adminsitrative checkm because they said that the first once was expired. 2 months later, i got my visa allhmdulelah, all of a sudden i got a call from my home that there is a TNT guy by the door having my passport. The embassy didn't call or the TNT , just they went to my home with the passport, and allhmdulelah i got it. So inshallah, i hope it will be the same like or less inshallah.

best luck for you and your husband and good american people (including my wife...lol)

salaam

Aslamo alikom Jean,

first of all i would like to express my happiness with you and mohamed, and i can assure you from a practical prospective that inshallah Mohamd will get his visa, INSHALLAH, its just a matter of time.

me and my wife feelings were the same like you right now when the embassy called me one day in April 2006, and asked for fingerprints. although they told us before this that my adiministraive check has done.

and then i took appointment and they took my fingerprints, and after 3 weeks they clreared it. Once my prints were clreared, they put my case back in another adminsitrative checkm because they said that the first once was expired. 2 months later, i got my visa allhmdulelah, all of a sudden i got a call from my home that there is a TNT guy by the door having my passport. The embassy didn't call or the TNT , just they went to my home with the passport, and allhmdulelah i got it. So inshallah, i hope it will be the same like or less inshallah.

best luck for you and your husband and good american people (including my wife...lol)

salaam

walaikum asalam Ahmed.

I was going to send you a private message because I knew your situation was the same, but of course I hesitated. You voiced my greatest fear... that the security checks will expire and we will have to start again. Time is a bit a problem at this point. Thank you for your information and your good wishes. It's appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.