Matt & Eliane

Filling form DS 156

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everybody

I started filling out the DS 156 form and I have few question about it.

Where it asks my marital status I'll mark divorced then it asks for my spouse's name (even if divorced or separate. Include maiden name).Does it mean I have to put my ex husband's name on it?

And another question is...since they ask for 2 copies to the interview, can I print one then make a copy of it?

Thanks in advance.

Moving thread from K1 process forum to consular forum.

But to answer your question - yes you would mark your status as divorced, but you would put 'none' for spouse - since you are not currently married.

Why not print two copies while you're at it (same difference as making a photocopy really)?

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

I guess the way I view the form is that the two questions aren't related.

The first is asking are you single, married, divorced, widowed, separated? (You are divorced.)

The second is asking you to list your spouse. As a K1 applicant, you are not married so you have no spouse to list. As leaving an answer blank is a no-no, your only real answer is 'none' (or perhaps 'none - K1 fiance visa applicant').

Your ex husband bears no relevance to your application for a visa, but as a divorced person, you want to represent your status correctly. Esp. as the rest of the documentation in this process has shown you to be divorced - so you want to stay consistent.

Remember that these forms are used in multiple situations for different kinds of visas. They have to keep them open ended enough so that anyone can answer them analogous of their current situation. You have to apply your common sense to it to know that while you are divorced, you also do not have a spouse at this time.

*edited for clarity*

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Correct. The form DS-156 is used for a lot of different visas, and as a K1 the correct answer would be NONE for the space where it says to list spouse.

If you don't want to print two forms, yes, you can print one and make a copy.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.