jaaaaamas

Change of Address

13 posts in this topic

My husband and I are sending out our change of address forms tomorrow. He'll be doing the AR-11 and I'll be doing the I-865.

I know this had to be done within 10 days of moving, but we're actually on day 13 today. Will this be a problem, do you think? They'll know because we filed for a change of address at the post office the day before we left. I have been so busy since we have moved, and honestly, all this immigration stuff slipped my mind until now.

Also, we are moving AGAIN in a few weeks to a month. This address was just a temporary place, as we're staying with my sisters. But I know since we filed for a change of address at the post office, it means USCIS counts this as a new address. Also I recently took out loans using this address as well. So I guess I just have to send out ANOTHER form again in a month's time?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

To be safe, yes, I would send them a change of address now, and then again when you move in a few weeks.

Luckily, the forms aren't too big of a deal to fill out.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

To be safe, yes, I would send them a change of address now, and then again when you move in a few weeks.

Luckily, the forms aren't too big of a deal to fill out.

Thanks Raymaga! Yeah the forms really were easy to fill out. I was shocked.

My only concern right now is it asks on my husband's form for the name of his employer. Since moving here to Washington, we've both yet to find new jobs. We don't want to start looking until we move into our more permanent home, which will be an hour or so away from where we are now.

Does anyone think that's going to cause any trouble?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

We were a little late in sending the AR-11 and the I-865 repectively. I think I missed the deadline for the first one by a few days, I sent the second one on time, though.

That said, I have not received any confirmation on any of those from USCIS. I will call them this week to see what address they have on file, and if it is the incorrect one, then to get it updated.

"Wild"

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and I don't give legal advice.

01/29/2011 - Expressed interest through www.shaadi.com

01/30/2011 - Interest accepted. :)

05/23/2011 - Got married in New Delhi, India

07/16/2011 - I-130 filed.

07/18/2011 - I-130 delivered at the Chicago Lockbox.

07/19/2011 - NOA-1.

07/21/2011 - USCIS text notification of acceptance of the I-130.

07/22/2011 - Check for $420 cashed.

08/04/2011 - Touched.

02/03/2012 - Received I-130 approval notification via text and email. Website updated as well.

02/08/2012 - Received NOA-2 hard copy.

02/17/2012 - NVC generated case #.

02/17/2012 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated.

02/22/2012 - AOS fee bill paid online.

02/23/2012 - DS-3032 emailed.

02/23/2012 - AOS fee bill cleared, IVR updated.

02/24/2012 - Received 'We have received your DS-3032 email from NVC.'

02/25/2012 - AOS Packet mailed.

02/27/2012 - IV Fee Bill generated.

02/28/2012 - 'Item missing in AOS Packet'. NVC mails out letter.

03/01/2012 - IV Fee Bill Paid (Status 'IN PROCESS')

We were a little late in sending the AR-11 and the I-865 repectively. I think I missed the deadline for the first one by a few days, I sent the second one on time, though.

That said, I have not received any confirmation on any of those from USCIS. I will call them this week to see what address they have on file, and if it is the incorrect one, then to get it updated.

Yeah I would give them a call. I received a confirmation letter within a week stating the address was updated, from the new service center where I sent the I-865 to. I never got one for the AR-11, but I did receive a confirmation from the post office that it was delivered safely. I think I remember reading on here that you don't get a letter back for the AR-11. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, anyone..

Either way, I am moving AGAIN in about 3 days so will have to do this all over again for the second time in less than a month. I am sure they love us over at USCIS by now ;)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There is a place on AR-11 to indicate that this is a temporary move. I do not think that CIS coordinates with USPS to see when your 'official' move date was--this address reporting is in lieu of the in-person visit PRs had to make once per year. It's an honor system thing--a few days late is not going to be a top priority for them.

Again, the AR-11 does NOT change your mailing address.

Changing your mailing address via a new form (your I-751) does NOT comply with the rule about reporting your address.

They go to/happen in two, unrelated places. Filing AR-11 will not confuse anyone or cause USCIS to love you any more or less. :)

You are required to file AR-11, and your Sponsor is required to file I-865. Relevant laws are cited in the links below.

To successfully change address, from the Dept of Overkill:

-file AR-11 as required by law. This does not change your *mailing* address, but it informs USCIS where you might have been, at one time. Just do it, it's the law

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm

How Do I Report a Change of Address to the USCIS?

AR-11 does not generally generate a NOA receipt. Send by trackable mail.

-Copy of AR-11 to any LOCAL or district office where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-copy of AR-11 to any Service Center where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-Phone call to 1-800 MisInformation line with the request: please change my mailing address

-file I-865 for USC Sponsor as required by law. You *may* get a NOA for this one and it *might* change the Sponsor's mailing address. Or not.

-file Change of Address and Mail Forwarding with the USPS. Your USCIS mail *might* get forwarded to your new addy. Or returned to USCIS, you never know. Unfortunate side effect: the PO sells your new address to bulk mailers and you are now back on every junk mailing list under the sun.

http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls

30 days later

-Follow up phone call to 1-800 to see if address change is captured.

-Cross fingers and keep an eye on processing times and when you expect to be contacted. Don't let it go for ages and then say 'dude, where's my case?'.©

jaaaaaaaamas (couldn't count how many :) ), if you could avoid chaning your *mailing* address for the temporary move, that would be best if you are expecting mail from CIS. Since you're not, there is not much to it, really.

wild, if you did not do anything to change the *mailing* address, expect CIS to have your old mailing address on file when you call.

AR-11 and I-865 do NOT change the mailing addresses. These forms do not typically generate receipts.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 2 weeks later...
I sent in a change of address a few months after moving... I didn't have any problems :no:

I am freaking out.... i received my two year conditional residence card in Sep of 04 and i have already sent in my form I-751. Just waiting for the NOA.... Throughout the past two years, we moved three times. Twice within WA where my husband was stationed and the last move occured when we moved to NJ. I sent in the AR-11 for myself but i didn't know that he had to sent in an I-864(i think that's the form) as well. I talked to a lawyer and he said that the best thing to do would be to just send it in now with an explanation and most likely we are going to have to pay a fine between 250 to 5000. Has anyone ever had to pay a fine before??? Any suggestions on what i should do??? Thanx!!!!

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Hey

Just to let you know..... I moved a year ago and did not report my address untill 6 months after when I wanted to send in my 751 and everything is fine. They don't really care as long as you let them know.......

You should keep your address up to date if you have a pending application though....

Sanaz

Hey

Just to let you know..... I moved a year ago and did not report my address untill 6 months after when I wanted to send in my 751 and everything is fine. They don't really care as long as you let them know.......

You should keep your address up to date if you have a pending application though....

Sanaz

Thanx Sanaz. After reading the form, the change of address needs to be reported within 30days. For effective date of change, should i put march coz that was our last move? Wouldn't they then instantly know that we are late in reporting? Did you include a cover letter? When i sent out my I-751, i used my current address so i think i should be fine...

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

oh pebbles---try to not worry. While your lawyer is technically correct, I wonder what she would say if you asked how many cases she knows of where a fine has been levied?

There's a "willful' clause in there. You were not willful, just not knowing.

The form is I-865 for sponsors, and please, please remember that AR-11 does NOT change your mailing address (did I say that already? :P )

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

oh pebbles---try to not worry. While your lawyer is technically correct, I wonder what she would say if you asked how many cases she knows of where a fine has been levied?

There's a "willful' clause in there. You were not willful, just not knowing.

The form is I-865 for sponsors, and please, please remember that AR-11 does NOT change your mailing address (did I say that already? :P )

hi meauxna! Just want to say thank you first and foremost coz when i was getting my I-751 together, i was reading through all the posts on this forum and some of your all posts definitely helped me along the way!!! I think the best thing for me to do with regards to the I-864 is to just send it in with a letter of explanation and we'll see what happens...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.