inksmear

Bringing my stuff across the border

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should be able to bring along everything you want with you, however you might wanna make a list of what is in each box etc. for the POE. I'm not 100% sure about the "new" gifts etc you are going to receive, so you might want to ask in the Canada forum. Someone there may know more of that part.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

You are allowed to bring all of your belongings with you. You have one year to do so with no import fee. You need to record everything you pack box by box so if they ask you at the border crossing what you have then you can show them the list.

I brought everything with me when I came across, including the items I received from my shower before I left Canada. By everything I mean furniture, clothes, kitchen items, knick knacks and etc. So get packing lol.

This is on the assumption that you aren't bringing guns or contraband item, as I think you may have to declare things like that differently.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Timeline

You might want to take a look at this link:

Moving to the US: New Resident

Technically, according to the CBP:

You may import furniture, dishes, linens, libraries, artwork and similar household furnishings for your personal use free of duty. To be eligible for duty-free exemption, the articles must have either been available for your use or used in a household where you were a resident for one year. The year of use does not need to be continuous, nor does it need to be the year immediately before the date of importation.

So, bringing new items that you have never used across may not be the best idea. I'm not sure how readily they enforce this rule, as they often don't even bother to look at the items you are bringing in, but just be aware that you may be caught in a situation where you'll need to pay duty on the shower gifts.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

IF ALL GOES WELL APRIL 22 AT INTERVIEW IN MONTREAL

MY CHILDREN AND I WILL BE MOVING ASAP

AFTER GETTING XPRESS POST BACK

WE WILL BE DRIVING A HUGE UHUAL WITH ALL OUR BELONGINGS

ANYONE EVER DID THIS ON HERE

IS THERE A HUGE PROBLEM AT BORDER

IM CROSSING AT PEMBINA NORTH DAKOTA

I MIGHT CALL BORDER TO SEE HOW I SHOULD PACK AND LIST ITEMS

OPEN TO ANY INFO

From the age of 16, I've received household items, etc to store away whenever a birthday, Christmas, etc came around. I was concerned about this when I moved, so I opened all of those items and repacked them in boxes so they weren't "new".

They did open up several of my moving containers to ensure that what I had written down as being in there actually was.

Something you may want to consider if you're that concerned.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: Other Timeline

I was concerned about this when I moved, so I opened all of those items and repacked them in boxes so they weren't "new".

Something you may want to consider if you're that concerned.

Lol..I do the same thing too...It's all "used" this way.... :whistle:

Hey, I think...Even if I used it once, it is still "used" in some way or other, right?...;)

For example, use each of your gifts...then figure out what to bring/keep, leave behind, throw out, donate, re-gift, etc....

Oh, and re-packing and re-packaging helps reduce the clutter and figure out exactly what you need to bring or not bring...

Clean up before you move...it definitely helps with the packing there!

After all, who needs all those new bulky boxes and new packages to be brought across?

And who really needs 20 toasters (lol..just kidding..)..One is enough....

Hope this helps. Good luck to the OP with your journey too.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Timeline

OPEN TO ANY INFO

You might want to read these links in the pinned topic at the top of the Canada Forum:

Moving = CBP FAQ's

Moving Your Belongings

iagree.gif

Timeline

And a minor correction - you are allowed to bring personal items across without duty for up to 10 years, not just one year.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

OPEN TO ANY INFO

I did bring a UHaul and was no problem. I did have each box labeled with a box number and the contents and I had a copy of that list with me when I went inside to activate my visa. It was not a problem at all, but it can't hurt to call the crossing you are going through to find out what will speed it up for you. You should ask them what time they suggest so you are not stuck at a busy time.

And a minor correction - you are allowed to bring personal items across without duty for up to 10 years, not just one year.

Really that is good to know.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read on VJ that you'll be able to bring everything you own, but I would hold off on large purchases like TVs, computers, etc. If you come across the border with something of high value that looks brand new, you could be forced to pay duty.

Take a look around - I'm sure there's lots of people giving advice about moving across the border.

Summer 1997 - met for the first time :)

04/2010 - reunited

12/18/09 - engaged

01/14/10 - I-129F mailed to CSC

01/19/10 - I-129F NOA1

02/22/10 - I-129F NOA2

03/01/10 - NVC sent along to Montreal embassy

03/09/10 - Embassy mailed packet 3

03/10/10 - Called NVC, spoke to an operator, received case number, verification of delivery to MTL

03/11/10 - Packet 3 Received from MTL embassy

03/19/10 - Packet 3 Mailed in

04/12/10 - Medical in Toronto

04/12/10 - Packet 3 Logged

04/23/10 - Packet 4 Received

06/11/10 - Interview Date! - Passed!

06/18/10 - Receive visa

07/14/10 - Enter USA

07/30/10 - Wedding Day

Filed: Other Timeline

I've read on VJ that you'll be able to bring everything you own, but I would hold off on large purchases like TVs, computers, etc. If you come across the border with something of high value that looks brand new, you could be forced to pay duty.

Take a look around - I'm sure there's lots of people giving advice about moving across the border.

"Used" electronics are allowed..;)

Lol..we used to travel back and forth with a used laptop and used tv....(but that's another story..)..no problem...

However, we did get pulled over for a used christmas tree, used lawn chairs, and used sports equipment...(another story..)

It depends on the border guard really.....So be prepared for anything! And have all your paperwork and/or moving lists prepared!

The bottom line: You are allowed to bring over any "personal belongings", up to 10 years (as Kathryn mentioned)

Just make sure that when you are moving, make a general list of your items, be positive, and tell the truth when asked...

Hope this helps..

Good luck with your moving too.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

the way the dollar is right now i'd wait, and buy new stuff in the usa, you could save up to 20% or more as CDN retailers probably wont adjust prices and we'll have the same thing happen that did in 2008 when our dollar soared.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.