Maga

Mortgage denied because temporary residency expires?!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello, everyone!

I'm in the process of removing conditions on my residence based on marrige to us citizen. We had filed petition with my husband and now have a year extention. The actual card expires in April the 8th of 2010.

We are buying our 1st home and our mortgage can not be approvedbecause lender says " my status is unclear". Does anyone know if it's even lawful and what can we use to argue with them?

Thank you for any info!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would argue it. Your status is not unclear. You are a permanent resident extended for another year.

Might want to check with an immigration lawyer if you want the mortgage.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Hello, everyone!

I'm in the process of removing conditions on my residence based on marrige to us citizen. We had filed petition with my husband and now have a year extention. The actual card expires in April the 8th of 2010.

We are buying our 1st home and our mortgage can not be approvedbecause lender says " my status is unclear". Does anyone know if it's even lawful and what can we use to argue with them?

Thank you for any info!

They should treat you as a Lawful Permanent Resident unless they can prove otherwise. I am sure there are people on this forum that are more knowledgeable than me on this subject but my guess is that they don't really have the right to discriminate against you like that.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

I am in a similar situation..(well kinda..lol) my daughter is applying to college and they say her status is unclear..but once I explained to them she will have a one year extention letter before her new card arrives they seemed fine..You need to fight it! you CLEARLY have been extended..go to the bank with your documents if that fails..lawyer up!

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Perhaps from the lender's perspective, they are looking at a long-term loan and the LPR status that expires in less than 1-year. I'd be willing to bet that a majority of removing-conditions are probably approved but (as we all know) not guaranteed. For all they know, the status could be rejected. I don't think it is a judgment of your status on their part.

I'd still argue the point but they have the money so they get to ask the questions and a person's legal status to be in the US (or not) is not (from what I know) a protected class so there doesn't seem to be any discrimination.

Filed: Timeline

I would think even with the extension letter, the status remains unclear. It says right on the letter that the extension permits the alien to work and remain in the country for one year, unless a determination is made otherwise. The alien is still in limbo as far as the lender is concerned, especially if the LPR's income is needed to qualify for the loan.

It's discrimination pure and simple.

You are a legal permanent resident.

Did they give you a denial letter? If they did, I would tell my loan officer that if he doesn't run the denial past his legal counsel, that you will.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would apeal that dessition ,

we bought our first home last year in may

when we aplied for the mortgage my GC was still valide for another 10 month,

they didnt even question my status

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It's discrimination pure and simple.

You are a legal permanent resident.

Did they give you a denial letter? If they did, I would tell my loan officer that if he doesn't run the denial past his legal counsel, that you will.

You are kidding right? There is NOTHING discriminatory about a bank not willing to lend money to an individual who's long-term legal status is not certain, regardless of the 1 year LPR extension. Lending is all about mitigating risk and while I'm sure the OP is a great person and their case will be approved, as a lender it would be a NON-DISCRIMINATORY red flag until the her 10 yr GC is approved (less risk). This risk can be reduced of course via many ways (i.e. large downpayment, USC income/credit (LPR income not factored due to status uncertainty), co-signers, etc).

Certainly shop around if the bank denies the loan, but don't call it discrimination because its not. Its common sense really.

Edited by elguevon

Application For Naturalization (N-400)

01/10/2013 - Packet Sent to Phoenix Lockbox

01/16/2013 - NOA & Check Cashed

02/06/2013 - Biometrics Appt

04/16/2013 - Interview - Approval Recommendation!

04/23/2013 - Placed in the Oath Ceremony Queue

05/16/2013 - Received letter showing Oath Ceremony date

06/12/2013 - Oath Ceremony

06/12/2013 - U.S. Citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

The only way I can see this being a reason for denying your loan is if your income (assuming you work) is detrimental to whether or not you get the loan. Llike say without your pay your husband has a high debt to income ratio. If that were the case, but your pay balances it out, they might refuse the loan. Aside from that, whether you live in this country or not should have no bearing on the loan. Last time I checked, home owners were able to own homes in various countries...

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Other Timeline

Your status is that of a Lawful Permanent Resident.

Which means squat. Lenders lend to whom they want to lend to. If they only want to lend to US citizens, or skinny people, or rich people, that's their business. By law they can't say certain things to you that would be discriminatory, but you can't force them to give you hundreds of thousands of dollars of their money.

What you want to do is find another lender, or wait a few weeks until you have your 10-year Green Card and then find another lender.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello, everyone!

Thank you for any info!

In some cases using the immigrants name on a loan will cause the interest rate to be higher because they have no credit history nor source of income in the USA.

The loan could be taken in the USCs name & the immigrant put on the deed later by using a quit claim document.

This is what we did. There were no problems with the mortgage company.

Forget arguing & find a different mortgage company.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

Definitely time to find another lender

Apr 6 , 02 Wedding

Nov 11 , 06 AOS pkg sent in

Nov 26 , 06 USCIS recieves pkg

Dec 7, 06 NOA recieved for I-130 , I-765 , I-485

Dec 7 , 06 AR-II sent moving

Dec 11 , 06 Fingerprint NOA

Dec 15 , 06 Biometrics DONE

Dec 27 , 06 Interview date set for AOS 02/14

Jan 9 , 07 I-765 , I-485 , I-130 touched

Jan 13 ,07 I-765 , I-130 touched

Jan 15 , 07 touched again

Feb 02,07 I-485 , I-130 touched

Feb 12,07 I-765 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

Feb 14,07 AOS Interview successfully completed however namecheck has not come back bummer !!!!!!!

April 26 ,07 Greencard arrives TG

April 26, 2010 Here we go again !!!!! Will file N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.