Tim and Erin

What are the chances I can stay that long?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So here's the plan. We'll be filing shortly for K-1. I want to visit Tim in the U.S. for most of the summer. Longest I've stayed in the past is one month.

Now I figured once we have the NOA1 in hand, I'd at least have proof that we're going about this the legal way. And I am pretty sure I can get an extended leave from work, as my boss has been very accommodating in the past. I've always had a letter from my boss with me whenever I've crossed the border, stating a back to work date. I've never been asked for it, however, and I've never offered it.

Has anyone here been in the same situation where they wanted an extended visit like this? Were you denied and told you had to shorten the visit? Just curious to hear from others, especially if they were at the NOA1 stage.

I know I'm not stressing unnecessarily about this, because EVERYTHING about this whole process is nervewracking, despite people telling us to "relax." :P

(Nite, all) (F)

Timeline

hey, We have applied for the K-1 and have gotten our NOA2 in Feb. I left canada on Feb. 27th at midnight and plan on staying till march 27th. the boarder asked if we had return tickets, which we handed her, then she asked the usual questions, asked if we had proof of my K-1 process (had our NOA2 notice on my lap) we said yes and she said ok good you will need that and then she checked in the trunk of the car and the back seat, at which point our son woke up and she tried talking to him and said how cute he is. she closed the door and said to have a nice visit we were free to go :). Keep in mind tho when she asked when the last time i was in the U.S. I answered over a year ago, so i think that and the return ticket helped get us through without a problem

Our current timeline:

Met online Oct 2004

Met in person June 2006

Engaged Oct 2007

Son born Leap day 2008

Birth Abroad applied for in Toronto, ON Sept 9th 2009

Birth Abroad Certificate received Sept 24th 2009

I-129F submitted October 21st 2009

NOA1 received October 26th 2009

NOA2 received February 2nd 2010

NVC received February 19th 2010

left NVC February 22nd 2010

consulate received February 23rd 2010 ( wow 1 day !?!? )

Packet 3 received March 4th 2010

getting packet 3 ready.....

I think you should be fine, if you're not staying longer than 6 months, have return information and your ties. The longest I stayed before was a month too though. Since you've got your K-1 information, and you've already gone for a month and returned, I personally don't see it being a problem.

Relax. :P lol

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

I've stayed 3 months before.

Just bring alot of evidence that you're going to return and you should be good to go.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey!

I have stayed over the summer too last year to be with my husband. It was actually still pretty flooded in manitoba and ND at the time so there was an added 3-4 hrs detour; but I told my husband I would rather have him drive me across the border to see if we can go than to take the bus and be stuck in the middle of no where. It was pretty crazy the border looked like a mini island at the time!

I had ties that I was in school and that I was coming back; at the time I did not have any return tickets but I told them I was planning on visiting my mother in quebec in august before I resumed school. At this time we had not even thought about doing the visa process and the border guy even asked us our plans. We said we were going to wait til I was finished my degree or that he might come stay in canada instead and that we were still undecided. The border guards were pretty nice and told us that we should start on it asap and that it would take a lot longer than we thought it would if we decided to go that route. I also had a letter from my landlord stating that I was coming back for school and I had all my belongings in her home. I also showed that I was still registered in school; at that time I wasnt registered for courses though cause that was months ahead. We did get searched obviously and they questioned us while searching the car and then told us to wait in a room(waited for about 30 mins).

I went at the end of april til the beginning of august and we were just very upfront and honest to the border and answered all the questions they asked us. Looking back they could have easily turned us away, and we were expecting they might too. When they let us through though I was very happy and I had the best summer of my life with my husband!

I admit im very nervous about this summer since I want to do the same thing as last year, but now we are on the visa process so I'm not sure what they will do. On top of that they are projecting there might be another flood since the south got so much rain and snow. I'm hoping though that even if there is some flooding that I would be able to cross the border when the time comes. If it closes that would really suck and I would be sad, but I suppose I shouldnt worry too much about it!

I would suggest you bring as much ties as possible and just hope for the best, as what im going to do in a month as well ;)

GL to you and I hope you end up having a good summer!

Married: 12/18/08

Sent I-130: 01/30/10

NOA1: 02/05/10

Touch: 02/09/10

NOA2: 03/24/10

A letter from you boss is the best evidence in my opinion to bring to cross the border. Giving your expected return date is good evidence. Having your NOA1, or 2 as well. I'm sure you'll be okay. Don't bring any household goods with you though!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Having a copy of your petition/visa application also helps along with the NOAs - it shows you have started the proper process and invested money in the process so are likely to continue with the proper process. This, of course, is in addition to your other evidence. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

i stayed for 2 weeks at xmas and again in february for a month. i'm unemployed but i had utility bills in my name, my lease, proof my rent was paid, and my entire petition packagewith both noas and i even brought the 2nd time my p3.

i just kinda didn't let the guy talk lol. i stated what my intent was which was staying a month in february, said we already filed a petition and were approved, showed him all my docs b4 he could ask, and said i was just waiting for my interview date, and he just looked at everyting in 2ndary and said. "you sure your comming back" to which i was like yes..not going to miss my interview, and he said ok have fun and gave me all my stuff back.

i'm so used to 2ndary now it's a joke. in and out unless there is a line. lol

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

You have good ties to Canada, so I can't see why you would have a probably.

Good luck and have fun!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I agree with the others, you seem to have pretty strong ties to Canada so I wouldn't think you would have a problem. The NOA1 and letter from your boss would be great. If you're flying, make sure you have a return ticket- one ways seem to cause some red flags. Other than that, I think you have a pretty solid case.

I visited my husband about 5 times during our K-1 process and it was never an issue at all. I had never seen the inside secondary until I crossed with my visa! Some aren't so lucky, but there are many people who cross regularly and never have a problem.

I visited my husband about 5 times during our K-1 process and it was never an issue at all. I had never seen the inside secondary until I crossed with my visa! Some aren't so lucky, but there are many people who cross regularly and never have a problem.

Lol My wife and I get called in there so much now I'm thinking of bringing a plant and a quality piece of artwork for the wall to, you know, make it more homey in there :thumbs:

Edited by bowflex

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline
Lol My wife and I get called in there so much now I'm thinking of bringing a plant and a quality piece of artwork for the wall to, you know, make it more homey in there :thumbs:

:lol:

I think that would really help it out!

It's so cold and intimidating, they could use some area rugs and lounge chairs too.

Timeline

I'm a bit nervous about this myself because I plan to move about 90 minutes from my boyfriend's place once the visa gets rolling. I'll be self-employed and living with my mom, so I really won't have any ties other than NOAs. However, I signed up for a Nexus pass and I should have that in my hands by the time I move near the border. I'd say I'll probably be seeing a lot of secondary, too!

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

JlovesA,

i woudln't worry about it. i did the same thing. i moved from montreal to windsor which was an easier way for me and david to see each other. we saved $$$ on air fair hotels etc. and it was only a 5 hour drive from Chicago. the border is so used to seeing us they keep askign when are we going to get the visa lol.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Thanks everybody for making me feel more confident for my next border crossing.

I DO know what it's like in secondary, and it's no party. Do they train those guards to never crack a smile or what??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.