austin49

Divorce, need to serve papers in Russia

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

My wife moved back to Russia and we are getting a divorce. My question is, how to serve papers? I have her address and we are still friendly, but sending the papers via mail is not good enough for the courts.

How can I overcome the logistics of this without physically going there, or paying a large chunk of money to a service in Russia that may not even do the work?

Does anyone have experience with this?

If your still friends have her serve you with papers.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

If your still friends have her serve you with papers.

I guess I do not understand. Our marriage took place in the USA. What would filing in Russia do? Does it really work that way? Considering the bueracracy in Russia, I would like to hear if anyone has experience with this.

Thanks for the advice though, it may work.

she doesn't need to be served. She needs to sign and get it notorized by the U.S embassy. Or just sign a waiver and get it notorized by the U.S embassy. Your lawyer should have told you that. Purpose of serving papers is getting her recogniizing the divorce process. It dosent't have to be done third party. You need to serve her if she refuse to sign it her own. Notorizing will make it offical so in case if she change her heart and claims that it wasn't her, U.S embassy seal (notory) will cover that.

September 5th 2007 Married in the U.S

October 15th 2007 documents were recieved

Nov 25th 2007 biometrics

Dec 17 2007 work authorization

Feb 26 2008 interview and approval

25 Nov 2009 I-751

27 Nov 2009 NOA

11 Dec 2009 Biometrics (early bio)

31 Dec 2009 touch (web site indicates last update)

Thanks Candelari, I am trying to do this without a lawyer. Everything is very strait forward except for getting the 'reciept' for her acknowledging the papers.

By the way, it is actually against how Russia interprets the Hague convention to serve someone papers. It has to be done through the courts in Russia, and there actually has to be a pending case to get them to do it. It is not as simple and strait forward as it seems.

The embassy option may work, thank you for the advice. However, it is another logistics problem :)

Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks Candelari, I am trying to do this without a lawyer. Everything is very strait forward except for getting the 'reciept' for her acknowledging the papers.

By the way, it is actually against how Russia interprets the Hague convention to serve someone papers. It has to be done through the courts in Russia, and there actually has to be a pending case to get them to do it. It is not as simple and strait forward as it seems.

The embassy option may work, thank you for the advice. However, it is another logistics problem :)

Anyway, thanks again.

Oh Got it.... Serving it quite difficult then. She just needs to sign the acknowledment or the waiver.

When I filed for child support and custody of my son that was my lawyer's advice. If you can get your ex' signature from him then you will save money by not saving the papers.

same with another friend of mine, she filed divorce last year and instead of serving him, she asked him to sign a waiver and get it notorize (she did it w/o lawyer too)

the only complication is to get it notorize which embassy seems the best options:)

good luck!

September 5th 2007 Married in the U.S

October 15th 2007 documents were recieved

Nov 25th 2007 biometrics

Dec 17 2007 work authorization

Feb 26 2008 interview and approval

25 Nov 2009 I-751

27 Nov 2009 NOA

11 Dec 2009 Biometrics (early bio)

31 Dec 2009 touch (web site indicates last update)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits to Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus Regional forum as a more likely location to get the necessary information

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Depending on your state you can accomplish service by publication in your local newspaper when the person to be served cannot be located in your local jurisdiction:

Service by publication--When the whereabouts of a defendant are unknown, or personal service within the state is impossible, a court may allow the defendant to be served with notice of the lawsuit by publishing the notice in a newspaper of general circulation. As a general matter, this type of service is only allowed in cases involving property and status (personal relationships affected by the law). Thus divorces and certain adoptions (status) and partition suits (property) may be allowed to proceed after service by publication. But issues such as child custody and support cannot be decided until and unless personal service occurs.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/s034.htm

Yeah, what Satellite said. (Welcome back, dude! Good to see you!)

When we were "browsing" the divorce stuff here in Cincinnati there was something to the effect of "public notice" and then if there's no response by a certain time then you're automatically qualified to get divorced without her acknowledgement. It seems the court understands that if there's no contact from the other party's side within a certain time period then the marriage probably isn't all that serious anyway and they'll grant you a divorce.

I wanna say here in Ohio it's only something like six months. Basically, if she were to go back home and not come back for at least six months, a divorce would be possible just on one side.

If you're doing this all by yourself (without an attorney) it probably wouldn't hurt to try that angle instead of trying the "traditional" route.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 6 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2010 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.