NBtoPitt

Education vs Employment

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My dad has been a university teacher for over 40 years, and every year he has students that are in their 50s, 60s, or even 70s, at the graduate level and the bachelor level.

What Ive noticed in students that go back to school after being on the job market is that they are not there just to get credits and a piece of paper, but to learn, and expect a lot from the teachers. They are not there to waste their time and are very motivated.

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hihi!

I completed my bachelor's and master's in molecular biology and all the years Ive spent in school, I thought I would be a scientist. The last year of my grad school, I realized I really hated what I was doing. I wanted something more than running after the next experiment, competing for grants, proving myself over and over and over again. So I evaluated what I did in university and grad school and realized that all 5 years Ive spent in school, I taught on the side (in HS during university and as a TA for second year students in grad school) and absolutely loved it. I even think that it was the highlight of my graduate school years :P

So I decided to find a teaching job and have been teaching as a part time Bio/Chem teacher at a local college since receiving my EAD. I was lucky because I completed my master's which allows me to teach at colleges. At the same time, I also attended this college when I was in school in the US and made enough connections to get me the job.

Teaching doesnt pay though :P I only work part time and teach a couple of labs and a lecture and make very, very, very little! The preparation for those few hours I get paid for is endless though. I probably spend 4-5 hours preparing for a class! However, I know that banking as many teaching hours, regardless of the little pay and the part time positions, will make me more marketable in the future. Full time positions are hard to come by, whether it is at middle school, high school or college. In most states, you need a teaching certification to teach at public schools. You need at least a master's to teach at local community colleges and a PhD to teach at university (unless you are a lecturer, but those positions are very few). Teaching at private schools is a little more lenient but now a days they also require at least a 4 year degree in your "subject" and maybe a masters. At some point, I am looking to get certified, but for now I plan to continue teaching at college and maybe apply at private schools.

And I didnt realize this until I became a teacher, but teaching is hard work. The emotional toll on top of the physical work can be challenging at times. I find myself getting really invested in the topics I teach and get frustrated if the students appear so bored from listening to me! However, it is a really rewarding career... and a very stable one too! Once you get hired full time, you basically teach until you retire! Or change jobs. Or screw up, BADLY.

Finally, dont worry about going back to school as an older student. I have a lot of students that are changing careers and going back to school to get the necessary degrees for their career change. I find that they are the best to work with. They are there to learn, they are really mature, they care more, they think more, and they really want their money's worth! Its not surprising to see older students in class.

If you have questions about teaching, let me know ok!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if I can add much to this thread, but here are my thoughts about this anyways..

There is no wrong or right direction in life.

Just because a person pursues a certain educational/career path at one point in their life, it doesn't mean that they have to continue with that path...

So it's ok to say that at one point something seems perfect, yet at another moment find flaws in such...

Things change, circumstances change...

It's ok to change paths and make other decisions.....

Life is a learning lesson....

You take the skills from one part, and transfer it to another part...

You learn more along the way..

You meet new people along the way....

For what you learned before and the connections you have formed before cannot be taken away from you....

The important thing though is that you are happy with what you do in life, whatever that may be!

And if you are happy...Then life is worth living...:)

So go ahead, take the plunge! Discover a new educational and/or career path! Enjoy and be happy with life!

Ant

P.S. I never did finish my college/university degree....(lol..but that's another story...)....

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You know ANT...you're such a positive person, I love that you can pick-up the positive slant on things.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I did my degree in Classical Studies then went on to a diploma in Museum Technology. I loved both fields. I thought about being an archaeologist for a while but then realized I could work with artifacts in the Museum field so didn't pursue my Masters but got the technical information I needed instead. I worked for 25 years in the Museum field and the work - paid and volunteer - that I have done here (which has been minimal) has been in historical interpretation.

I burned out from the Administrivia, though, and did a 180 degree shift - I went to work as the assistant to a Member of Parliament basically running his Constituency Office and representing him in local events as well as problem solving and acting as liaison between constituents and the federal government. I absolutely loved that job - it was the best one I have ever had and the best boss I have ever had. The only direct training I had for this position, though, was growing up in a politically active household.

What I realized very early on is that I got my degree in order to obtain an education - not a job - and it is the skills I learned and developed in getting that education that I have used in every job I've ever had. The information may not always be transferable, but the skills definitely are, so regardless in what area you have your degree, I am very sure it is standing you - and will stand you - in good stead in ways you may not even realize.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.