RabRiz

Upgrading from F2A to spouse of US citizen

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am confused. My wife's I130 was approved last year in june of 2009 based on F2A petition since I was a permanent resident at that time. The case was transfered to NVC where it sat for three months since no visa number was available. Then they asked for IV fee and AOS fee in October of 2009. I paid the fees online and the status on the website said "PAID". Then they had a Next step section help on that webpage that said the following:

Help Topic: Next Steps

If the current payment status is anything other than PAID, sign in to this case again in 2-3 business days to check for an updated status. Once the Payment Status is PAID you must print out the Document Cover Sheet and attach it to the documents sent to NVC. You should then go to the NVC web page for further directions.

Help Topic: Paid Transactions

For each payment with a Payment Status of PAID, print a copy of the Document Cover Sheet (one for the paid AOS fee and one for the paid IV application processing fees(s)). The Document Cover Sheet will provide you with a correct address to which you must return your documents now that you have paid your fees. Failure to use the Document Cover Sheet will result in a delay in processing.

Next Steps

If the current payment status is not PAID, sign in to this case again in 2-3 business days to check for an updated status. Once the Payment Status is PAID you must print out the Document Cover Sheet and attach it to the documents sent to NVC. You should then go to the NVC web page for further directions.

Paid Transactions

For each payment with a Payment Status of PAID, print a copy of the Document Cover Sheet (one for the paid AOS fee and one for the paid IV application processing fees(s)). The Document Cover Sheet will provide you with a correct address to which you must return your documents now that you have paid your fees. Failure to use the Document Cover Sheet will result in a delay in processing.

I also from time to time called the NVC automated number and they had this message "The packet of information which was generated on October xx and which will be sent in next few weeks, follow the instructions..." since the visa number was not available for F2A category yet.

But I recently became the US citizen and have sent a letter to upgrade the case last week. Today I called the NVC and talked to the live person and the lady told me that they have been waiting for me to send them the required documents since October after I paid the fees.

I am confused whether I should have completed the documents and sent it to them or should I wait for the packet of instructions that the NVC automated system is asking to do?? I did print the cover sheets with the bar code for both fees I paid online since they became available for me to download after the status changed to PAID online.

Please clarify if you can?

Thanks.

USCIS Journey:

05-12-06 - Petition Sent for spouse of a green card holder (F2A)

05-18-06 - NOA1

06-24-09 - I-130 Approved (PD not current but sent to NVC (PD- May 04 2006)and Case Transferred to NVC

10-22-09 - Applied for US Citizen

02-25-10 - Became US Citizen.

NVC Journey:

07-07-09 - Entered into NVC , case number assigned

07-15-09 - Letter received from NVC saying Case number assigned.

10-19-09 - AOS Fee and IV Fee Bill received

10-28-09 - Paid AOS Bill and - Paid IV Bill

10-29-09 - IV and AOS packet generated

02-25-10 - Request sent to upgrade case to Spouse of a US Citizen(IR1) from Spouse of LPR(F2A)

03-29-10 - Case upgraded to IR1 from F2A

04-13-10 - AOS and DS-230 package Delivered

04-19-10 - NVC received Package(or entered into system)

04-28-10 - RFE Generated; April 30th 2010 - Email received about RFE

05-04-10 - RFE response Mailed; May 5th 2010 - RFE accepted by NVC; May 11th 2010 - RFE Entered into NVC system

05-19-10- SIGN IN FAILED (Case Complete)

05-25-10- Operator and NVC Email confirmed Interview date

07-29-10 - Iinterview @ 8:00 am APPROVED

07-31-10 - Visa In Hand.

08-08-10 - POE

Print the forms (I864, and DS230)online get the required documentation and get them sent to NVC.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yes you should have sent the AOS and DS-230 packets out in October. Usually if your I-130 priority date is within 1 year of your visa becoming currrent then NVC will contact the petitioner to complete the initial stages of the NVC process. However the interview will be scheduled only once your visa becomes current.

If you have all the documents ready for the AOS and DS-230 packets you can send them in now with the cover sheet while you wait for your case to be upgraded to IR-1 status. It usually takes 2-3weeks for the case to be upgraded.

02-09-2007 : Marriage

I-130 Stage (Filed while I was on Green card)

California Service Center

06-11-2007 : I-130 Sent

08-04-2009 : I-130 Approved

NVC Stage

09-04-2009 : NVC Received

09-08-2009 : NVC case# assigned (Waiting game begins to Upgrade my case to IR-1)

01-22-2010 : Became U.S. citizen (Sent request to upgrade petition from F2A to IR-1 catagory)

02-17-2010 : Case finally upgraded to IR-1

03-20-2010 : Case complete

04-12-2010 : Receiced interview notice.

Chennai Consulate Stage

05-01-2010: Medical

05-04-2010: Interview Approved!!!!!!

05-21-2010: POE at San Francisco

06-21-2010: Received GC in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.