dutchmatt

Why Canada Sucks....

84 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well come move to Maine and we'll see how awesome the pro-America chants are. I have no health insurance, I work in a doctors office with 3 employees (including myself). My husband has medicare, I'm not eligible nor can I afford to pay $900/month for health insurance for me only. I'd gladly pay my gst/pst/income tax or whatever to know I can get treated and not worry about the bill. I don't drink so I don't care about the price of budlight. A head of lettuce here is a dollar more than Canada, infact everything here costs more probably w/ the exception of booze and cigarettes. To rent a POS apartment is $800+/month plus your utilities. In Canada, my 1000 sq ft apartment had 2 bedrooms, included all utilities and central air, had a swimming pool was nice quiet and I paid $750/month. My main fear here is getting sick..what am I going to do? I have no idea. I like the States but sometimes I wish my husband immigrated to Canada instead.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A few more reasons my husband is now extremely happy to be in the US:

His old storage unit cost him about $100 per month + 15% tax

His new storage unit is costing him about $60 per month + 6% tax

Car insurance:

In Canada for his 2004 Mazda cost him $156 a month for basic coverage

In PA, same coverage on my policy (with my discounts) his coverage will cost us $229 for 6 months or about $40 a month.

:dance:

Yep, he's a happy camper!

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I actually find highways here to be rather easy to navigate. Because instead of missing your exit, taking the next one and then trying to find a way to turn around.... every exit goes to a frontage road which will have a U-turn that runs underneath the main highway.

Not only that, but the U-turns (Texas turnarounds as they're called here) are extremely fast. You get to skip two sets of lights because it bypasses them.

500px-Texas_turnaround.svg.png

In actuality, the main highway will be above everything.

City streets have U-turns absolutely everywhere too. None of this driving around the block stuff.

That's rather nifty - in Virginia they do the good old fashioned You-eee (u turn)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

In Michigan they have what people here call "Michigan Left Turn". Certain intersections you can't make a left turn, so you have to turn right on the street you want, then go around a curve to get on the street in the other direction.

Picure:

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline
In Michigan they have what people here call "Michigan Left Turn". Certain intersections you can't make a left turn, so you have to turn right on the street you want, then go around a curve to get on the street in the other direction.

Picure:

Sounds like the New Jersey jughandle interesections: Instead of turning left, you keep straight, then take a loop off the right of the road to get around to the right direction. I haven't been to Jersey myself to experience one, but I hear they can get a little crazy...

figure6.gif

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Timeline

Salt Lake City is pretty normal: only weirdnesses here are single point urban exchanges:

300px-Spui-schematic.svg.png

And continuous flow intersections, which are quite interesting:

oVI3Ledw7mc

There are also collector-distributor roads on the interstate in a couple of places:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collector/distributor_road

But those are bog-standard by comparison.

[i know Tom Cruise was making fun of interstate highway traffic engineering in Mission Impossible III, but everything he said about it mockingly sounded really cool to me :)]

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline
There are also collector-distributor roads on the interstate in a couple of places:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collector/distributor_road

Oh, I know collector systems... I've driven Kings Highway 401 in Toronto. :lol:

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Timeline

This is apparently the worst intersection in the US, and if you look at the satellite view, you'll see why:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=k&z=19

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I live off a 12 lane ROAD... not a highway, a ROAD. I cross it every morning when I walk to the train station.

I even jaywalk on it now too, like a true NYer.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
and if you look at the satellite view, you'll see why:

Maybe I'm thick, but I don't see it... :unsure:

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

Timeline

Ooohhh, real-life Frogger! :)

Or better yet, Activision's "Freeway" for the Atari 2600! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeway_(video_game)

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

You people are making me soooooooooo glad I live in a small city that does not have intersections like that!

Or: Why big scary intersections suck.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Timeline

State Farm Insurance said in 2001 that this one was the most dangerous one it saw in the US... yikes. :wow:

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

Timeline
Maybe I'm thick, but I don't see it... :unsure:

Big ugly uncontrolled area in the middle, the main road is curved, there's a building right at one of the corners killing the sightlines from one of the entrances, and you just get the general feeling that cars could roll through that patch of ground from just about anywhere.

With the increasing urban sprawl of Chicago, apparently it's fairly high traffic too, apparently.

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.