dougmsfiancee

Importing your guns when you move?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i've notified by pm two of vj's resident gun experts about this topic, they should be here soon.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Fireamrs are subject to certain restrictions: Here is information from a general information leaflet about moving your belongings to the US put out by the US Customs and Border Service:

Firearms and Ammunition

Firearms and ammunition are subject to restrictions and import permits. The importation of fully automatic weapons, semi-automatic assault-type weapons, and nonsporting firearms and ammunition is prohibited. Generally, firearms and ammunition acquired abroad may be imported, but only under permit. For complete information, write to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Department of the Treasury, Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch, Washington, DC 20226. That agency will furnish permit applications and answer inquiries about the Gun Control Act of 1968, and import provisions of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsro...#46;/moving.doc

Here is a link to a really useful site with a lot of information on importing firearms: http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/opm/guns.htm

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

agreed that importing guns while immigrating is not the same as importing household goods. ATFE has an importation form that can be completed by an individual for their personal collection, but it is wise to involve a liscensed firearms dealer in your destination area in the process. the mechanism of importation is covered in the FEIGB (firearms and explosives identification guide book.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importa...k--complete.pdf

in short, you should, but are not required to, establish residency before importing. you may not bring in anything full auto or non-sporting. ATFE identifies full auto differently than canada does, so certain guns that are considered semi-auto in canada are considered full auto in USA. this is because the modifications made from full auto to semi-auto in canada do not meet ATF's "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" rule.

non-sporting covers a category of modern military types such as semi-auto ak-47, vz58, mg42, etc that are assembled with more than 10 non-USA manufactured parts (from a list of qualifying parts). this can be tricky for someone not in the know (including many FFL dealers).

read the text yourself, but from page 8:

firearms or ammunition may be imported into the United States: if the firearms or ammunition are of a type generally recognized as particularly

suitable for or readily adaptable to "sporting purposes";

Surplus military firearms and other non-sporting firearms qualifying as "curios or

relics" may be imported.

Handguns being imported into the United States must also be recognized as particularly

suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes...

p11:

The importation of firearms, firearm frames and receivers, firearm barrels, and

ammunition is subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, the GCA and the

implementing regulations in 27 CFR, Part 478. (this also includes parts such as receivers, barrels)

In order to engage in the business of importing firearms or ammunition for resale, you

must obtain a Federal Firearms License (FFL) as an importer. (but you're not doing this as a business)

An approved import permit on ATF Form 6, Application and Permit for Importation of

Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War, is required to import these articles into the

United States and allows the importation of the articles listed on the form. A permit is

valid for one year from its approved date.

A Federally licensed firearms dealer, pawnbroker or manufacturer, other than a

manufacturer of ammunition only (Type 06 FFL) may obtain a permit to occasionally

import a firearm for the FFL’s personal use, or for the personal use of a customer (the

customer’s name, address and purpose of importation should be shown in the item

entitled 'Specific Purpose of Importation' on the Form 6 Part I), without becoming

licensed and registered as an importer.

An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting ammunition (excluding

armor-piercing, tracer, or incendiary ammunition) and firearm parts (other than frames,

receivers, firearm barrels, or barreled actions) without engaging the services of an FFL,

provided the items are for personal use and not for resale. Generally, ATF cannot issue a

permit authorizing the importation of firearms barrels for nonsporting or surplus military

firearms.

see form 4590 on page 14 for handgun considerations. some small handguns are unimportable due to size restrictions, which are often overcome by changing grip panels. some handguns are unimportable due to lack of manual safety.

then there is the list of restricted countries of manufacture, noted on page 15.

the forms you need are on page 21, with some instructions.

p36

A foreign national. An alien entering the U.S. to establish residency may obtain an approved

ATF F 6 (Part I) import permit, prior to the date U.S. residency is established (90 days after his

or her date of arrival in the U.S.) to import sporting firearms, sporting ammunition, and certain

implements of war (e.g., firearm component parts). The items approved for importation must

accompany the alien or be contained in his or her shipment of personal effects. 18 U.S.C. 922

(d)(3).

as you can see, it can get complicated, so i would recommend you engage the services of a competent type 1 or 2 FFl in your destination state.

if you are moving to pennsylvania, that would be me.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Does anyone know anything about the procedure to bring your guns with you when you finally move to the US

Such a hassle to deal with ATF.

I just sold mine before leaving Canada and purchased new ones in the US.

There is a good selection and reasonable prices.

12-14-2009 I-129F Petition sent

12-21-2009 Petition received CSC

12-24-2009 NOA1

12-28-2009 "touched"

12-30-2009 Check cashed

04-20-2010 NOA2 approved!

04-24-2010 NOA2 received hard copy

04-26-2010 NVC received petition

04-28-2010 NVC sent case to Montreal consulate?

05-07-2010 Montreal transferred case to Vancouver consulate!

05-18-2010 Vancouver received case and sent out Packet 3

05-21-2010 Received Packet 3 letter from Vancouver consulate

05-25-2010 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver consulate

05-31-2010 Received Packet 4 Vancouver consulate interview letter

06-09-2010 Medical exam appointment

06-23-2010 Vancouver consulate interview

08-24-2010 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP

08-31-2010 NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

09-30-2010 Appointment for Biometrics

12-06-2010 AOS Appointment in Sacramento

12-10-2010 AOS Approved!

12-20-2010 Recieved Green Card

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I took my 2 rifles with me when I crossed. You do need the required paperwork though. I had no hassle what so ever with ATF I dealt with a Ms. Richardson and she was very nice and very co-operative.

The 2 rifles I took were of great sentimental value and are 2 great hunting rifles. I would have been heart broken to leave them behind.

I sent in my paperwork on Nov. and had my release and Import approval back in Jan.

They do request the application being submitted 60 days before the intended importation.

The address is:

Director

Bureau of Achohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives

244 Needy Road

Martinsburg, wv 25405

Attention: Firearma and Explosives Import Branch

You need to fill out the form:

Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms Ammunition and Implements of War

ATF Form6- Part1 (5330.3A)

When bringing them into the US you must have :

ATF Form 6A(5330.3C) Release and Receipt of Imported Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War.

You present this filled out form with the Import Permit # on it to US Customs. They check it against the model, serial# and Manufacturer of gun

Make sure you have it all as it appears on the gun. When I took my Tikka across I had written in Tikka on the release form but the gun although being a Tikka is made by Sako and that was what was on the barrel. It took some explaining to do about the difference in names.

If going by plane you'll need the paperwork to show it's okay to take em on. It cost em and extra $50 to put them on the plane. I would make it very visible that it's a fragile package. I took mine in a 2 rifle case and everything arrived as it had left.

If you have further questions or need help in filling the forms don't hesitate to ask me

Allie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Importing my firearm from Ontario to the US was a breeze! The easiest part of the process!

You have to fill out Form 6 for Permanent Import. I had it in my hands in 4 weeks(they recommend you file it 60 days before you go, but they weren't busy at that time).

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
agreed that importing guns while immigrating is not the same as importing household goods. ATFE has an importation form that can be completed by an individual for their personal collection, but it is wise to involve a liscensed firearms dealer in your destination area in the process. the mechanism of importation is covered in the FEIGB (firearms and explosives identification guide book.

in short, you should, but are not required to, establish residency before importing. you may not bring in anything full auto or non-sporting. ATFE identifies full auto differently than canada does, so certain guns that are considered semi-auto in canada are considered full auto in USA. this is because the modifications made from full auto to semi-auto in canada do not meet ATF's "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" rule.

non-sporting covers a category of modern military types such as semi-auto ak-47, vz58, mg42, etc that are assembled with more than 10 non-USA manufactured parts (from a list of qualifying parts). this can be tricky for someone not in the know (including many FFL dealers).

firearms or ammunition may be imported into the United States: if the firearms or ammunition are of a type generally recognized as particularly

Surplus military firearms and other non-sporting firearms qualifying as "curios or

relics" may be imported.

Handguns being imported into the United States must also be recognized as particularly

p11:

ammunition is subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, the GCA and the

implementing regulations in 27 CFR, Part 478. (this also includes parts such as receivers, barrels)

In order to engage in the business of importing firearms or ammunition for resale, you

must obtain a Federal Firearms License (FFL) as an importer. (but you're not doing this as a business)

An approved import permit on ATF Form 6, Application and Permit for Importation of

Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War, is required to import these articles into the

United States and allows the importation of the articles listed on the form. A permit is

manufacturer of ammunition only (Type 06 FFL) may obtain a permit to occasionally

import a firearm for the FFL’s personal use, or for the personal use of a customer (the

entitled 'Specific Purpose of Importation' on the Form 6 Part I), without becoming

An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting ammunition (excluding

armor-piercing, tracer, or incendiary ammunition) and firearm parts (other than frames,

receivers, firearm barrels, or barreled actions) without engaging the services of an FFL,

provided the items are for personal use and not for resale. Generally, ATF cannot issue a

permit authorizing the importation of firearms barrels for nonsporting or surplus military

firearms.

see form 4590 on page 14 for handgun considerations. some small handguns are unimportable due to size restrictions, which are often overcome by changing grip panels. some handguns are unimportable due to lack of manual safety.

then there is the list of restricted countries of manufacture, noted on page 15.

p36

A foreign national. An alien entering the U.S. to establish residency may obtain an approved

ATF F 6 (Part I) import permit, prior to the date U.S. residency is established (90 days after his

or her date of arrival in the U.S.) to import sporting firearms, sporting ammunition, and certain

implements of war (e.g., firearm component parts). The items approved for importation must

accompany the alien or be contained in his or her shipment of personal effects. 18 U.S.C. 922

(d)(3).

as you can see, it can get complicated, so i would recommend you engage the services of a competent type 1 or 2 FFl in your destination state.

I just read all this and it is not as complicated as all these clauses appear If you do everything correctly on the form you in no way require the services of a licensed firearm dealer/importer.

Just fill out the application. If there are problems on your application an ATF Agent will call you informing about any errors you made while applying and help you correct those errors. As I stated in a previous post they are very helpful and easy to deal with.

I know this because I had 2 calls from them to verify exactly what I meant on the application.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i'm glad we have more gun toting canadians! :dance::dance::dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Does anyone know anything about the procedure to bring your guns with you when you finally move to the US

Yes. You will need to use the services of an importer. Basically you will send your guns, via UPS or Fedex to a licensed US importer, for a fee of course. The importer may, or may not, also be a firearms dealer. When the guns arrive, if the importer is also a dealer, you would pick up (actually "buy") your own guns back from the dealer and he will complete the necessary paperwork. You need to be a legal permanent resident to "buy" firearms in the USA, so they will hold them while you get your green card.

There may be another process in which you can bring your firearms which you personally own. I would contact the local (in the area you plan to move) ofice of the Bearueu of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

When I lived overseas, I purchased firearms and the foreign dealers sent them to a friend who has an importer and dealers license. When I came back I picked them up from him, actually "bought them" in the USA. Until then the transaction is between exporter/importer.

We here in the US can ship firearms ourselves by UPS or Fedex. Your country may require using an exporter in your country. I do not know the rules for individual countries and let the dealers where I purchased firearms handle that. Czech Republic was by far my favorite place in the world to buy guns. Guns comparable to English "Best" quality double shotguns at prices like domestic Rugers. Incredible. I suppose that will go away once they are absorbed in the EU.

relics" may be imported.

p11:

firearms.

p36

(d)(3).

There you go, thank you shooter

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

licensed and registered as an importer.<<<<<<<<

This is how I handled foreign puchases.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes. You will need to use the services of an importer. Basically you will send your guns, via UPS or Fedex to a licensed US importer, for a fee of course. The importer may, or may not, also be a firearms dealer. When the guns arrive, if the importer is also a dealer, you would pick up (actually "buy") your own guns back from the dealer and he will complete the necessary paperwork. You need to be a legal permanent resident to "buy" firearms in the USA, so they will hold them while you get your green card.

I did not use the services of an importer to bring my firearms over. After filling out the required Form 6 for permanent import, I moved it over the day I moved myself to the US.

It says so on the ATF's web site (#8 on the instruction sheet).

Canadians do not need need an export permit.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.