Obama 2012

In these Olympics, Canadians only paid attention to Canada.

110 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
That is a misnomer. While it is true of the primetime coverage from 7:00 p.m until 11:00 p.m., it certainly is not of the rest of the coverage. I watched most of the events on either MSNBC, CNBC, or the USA network who showed the events in their entirety. If you look at the description of the primetime coverage, it states that it is a recap of the days events. If you wanted to watch the full competition, it was available earlier in the day on a different channel.

Although I thought NBC did a poor job with their boradcasters, I don't really see anything wrong focusing on American athletes. It is a broadcast to the american public after all. I disagree that they didn't show the medal winners in events that americans didn't place in. Maybe I just happened to catch the events that did this, but they did show the american athletes, and the winning performances in a vast majority of the events.

It's like that for every Olympic Games. They ar a showcase for the host city and country. I'd have to say that it was far worse during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. I was there and everything had a gaudy american flag on it or some pretentious symbol. You virtually couldn't get any olympic merchandise without some american symbol on it. I suppose it will be the same in 2012 with London. Rather than look at this as something that is anti-american, just look at it as a celebration of the good things that Canada gives the rest of the world.

It may be that elsewhere in the US there was better coverage but here in Georgia it was virtually non-existant. There was NO Olympic coverage on NBC during the day. I checked the listings for any Olympic coverage during the day and during the full two weeks found none. The only coverage that ever came was during the prime time hours during the evening, and yes, that probably was a summary of events. NBC had its regular programming on during the day as did all of the other channels I watched. My comment was in reference to the reporter referring to NBC coverage and his inference that it would have been superior to what was covered in Canada. I have no difficulty in them focusing on US athletes as well, but the coverage they did provide showed nothing but US athletes and makes his comment about focusing too much on Canada rather ridiculous.

One other observation about NBC - they did show the closing ceremonies in its entirety and then repeated them again afterwards - except when regularly scheduled 'Cheers" came on - they interrupted the re-broadcast - went and watched their regularly scheduled shows for a while and then came back after they were finished to continue where they left off the re-broadcast of the closing ceremonies. Olympic coverage was very much secondary to other priorities here.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
It may be that elsewhere in the US there was better coverage but here in Georgia it was virtually non-existant. There was NO Olympic coverage on NBC during the day. I checked the listings for any Olympic coverage during the day and during the full two weeks found none. The only coverage that ever came was during the prime time hours during the evening, and yes, that probably was a summary of events. NBC had its regular programming on during the day as did all of the other channels I watched. My comment was in reference to the reporter referring to NBC coverage and his inference that it would have been superior to what was covered in Canada. I have no difficulty in them focusing on US athletes as well, but the coverage they did provide showed nothing but US athletes and makes his comment about focusing too much on Canada rather ridiculous.

One other observation about NBC - they did show the closing ceremonies in its entirety and then repeated them again afterwards - except when regularly scheduled 'Cheers" came on - they interrupted the re-broadcast - went and watched their regularly scheduled shows for a while and then came back after they were finished to continue where they left off the re-broadcast of the closing ceremonies. Olympic coverage was very much secondary to other priorities here.

That's not NBC then, that's the local affiliate!

Sometimes the local channels can be a bit of a ###### when it comes to following network programming....

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you missed my point. NBC did show the events in their entirety during the day hours, but on their other channels, such as MSNBC, CNBC, and USA network. If you only looked for coverage on NBC network channel, no, you're not going to find any of this during the day, or even the evening. They had much better coverage on the other "NBC" channels and weren't quite so homogenized and actually used some broadcasters that were actually knowledgeable about the sport in which they were commenting on. It was the network channel that had all the deficiencies and if that is all that you watched, then you certainly missed out.

Hmm... maybe my #######-a$$ from Georgia, which has also lived in Louisiana, and Mississippi, and Colorado, and Texas, and Michigan should have written that article? There are portions of it that I completely agree with. Of course NBC showed mostly American games, as it is after all an American TV station. Personally experiencing the "it is us against you" or "me against you" mentality was disheartening.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~
NOA1: October 29, 2009
NOA2: January 21, 2010
Interview Date: April 12, 2010 - APPROVED!
Visa Received: April 26, 2010
POE: May 11, 2010
Wedding: May 21, 2010

~AOS/EAD/AP~
Sent: June 8, 2010
Received at Chicago Lockbox: June 10, 2010
Email/text notification of NOA1: June 16, 2010
Check cashed: June 17, 2010
Case shows up on USCIS website: June 18, 2010
Hard copies of NOA1's arrive: June 18, 2010
Touch on all 3 cases: June 21, 2010
Biometrics letter: Received June 24, 2010, scheduled for July 15, successful walk-in June 30th!
Touch on AOS/EAD cases: July 1, 2010
EAD and AP approval: August 6, 2010
EAD Card Production: August 9, 2010
AP received: August 13, 2010
EAD Card received: August 16, 2010
AOS Interview: August 23, 2010 APPROVED!

~ROC~
Sent: August 7, 2012
Check cashed: August 14, 2012
NOA1: August 10, 2012
Biometrics: September 13, 2012
RFE: April 1, 2013; response mailed April 2, 2013
Approved: April 22, 2013

Green Card Production ordered: June 12, 2013 (email received)

Green Card Received: June 17, 2013

That's the thing about the Olympics though, it is about national pride, no matter what country. Everyone wants the athletes from their country to win... bring home the gold. This isn't new nor is it something that is confined to Canada. Just so happens we were the host country... so if you saw a sea of red, I personally apologize... our flag is red and white, and well white isn't even considered a colour anyways.

Hee! :)

Agreed, though. Don't try to tell me for a second that every other country was doing the campfire sing-a-long and being glad everyone was together, without caring who wins or loses. ALL countries get pumped up for their own athletes - you just noticed Canada's more because that's what was on TV (and yes, the fact that we hosted probably amplified it a bit).

And really, there's nothing wrong with that - I think it's sad that we live in a world where being proud of where you're from is a bad thing, and that applies to more than just Canada. There's a difference between being a jumped-up, "WE'RE THE BEST COUNTRY, EVAAARRRR" lunatic and having pride in your home.

I love Canada. That doesn't mean I think I'm better than people from other countries, it doesn't mean I'm anti-American, it doesn't mean I'm anti-European or anti-anything else. I loved being the US, too, and I'll like being there in the future.

Hmm... maybe my #######-a$$ from Georgia, which has also lived in Louisiana, and Mississippi, and Colorado, and Texas, and Michigan should have written that article? There are portions of it that I completely agree with. Of course NBC showed mostly American games, as it is after all an American TV station. Personally experiencing the "it is us against you" or "me against you" mentality was disheartening.

And of course Canada wore Canadian colours.

Our Journey

The Beginning

Early 2009 -- Met on WoW

September 2009 -- Fell in love

May 14 2010 - Officially engaged! smile.png

K1 Journey

September 17, 2010 - NOA1

March 14, 2011 - RFE

April 18, 2011 - NOA2

August 12, 2011 - Interview - Approved!

August 20, 2011 - POE

September 10, 2011 - Married!

AOS Journey

November 17, 2011 - AOS packet sent

November 21, 2011 - NOA1

December 14, 2011 - Case transferred

December 28, 2011 - Biometrics appt

January 18, 2012 - EAD/AP approved! Card production ordered!

January 28, 2012 - EAD/AP card in hand

July 2, 2012 - AOS approved! Card production ordered!

July 7, 2012 - GC in hand

Removal of Conitions

April 29, 2014 - Packet sent

May 6, 2014 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.