sus

Yardies a home and a farrin, Part 24!

4,635 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning Yardies:

Happy St. Patrick's Day...

Today Im feeling melacholy, not sad, but today is my late mother's birthday. She would have been 66. She died from a rare form of liver cancer and she also suffered from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) I know her "Irish" eyes are smiling down on us though.blush.gif

Thank you for all the love and support about my dad. He is a fighter and he will keep fighting. Not to mention he is about to have surgery AGAIN on his wrists for Carpel tunnel this makes surgery #17blink.gif He also is about to have his knee replaced AGAIN. blink.gif He was only supposed to have it in for 12 years, he has had his in for 15 years. He takes a lickin and keeps on tickin'!!!

I am in a pissed off mood today mad.gif

I burned my finger this morning! mad.gif

I NEED a Vacay now!!!!

oh good mroning all! wink.gif

Good morning, I hope your day and mood improves :)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Any plans for St. Patrick's Day?

I'm leaving here at 2 to go do a little partying in Dogtown and then corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight. Cannot wait.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

The Application Process:

:: For K1 Visa Holders ::

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do

not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA

offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior

to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your

record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the

USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These

documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)

your valid I-94

another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware

that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not

you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Awwwww MrsTee. (F)(L)

Just know ur mom is in a better place. I am praying for ur dad too! (F)(L)

Thanks for the encouragement.

There is alot going on with me I will share prolly later. Nothing too serious, but cant let it get outta control :(

Edited by 1luv

I LOVE MY RAMPING SHOP!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Awwwww MrsTee. (F)(L)

Just know ur mom is in a better place. I am praying for ur dad too! (F)(L)

Diito... MrsTee we are here for you honey bun. (L)(F)

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Timeline

MrsTee I hope you feel better, think happy memories of her!

I wouldn't stop until I found what I was looking for.

Here's the link to the guides on a k-1 visa on uscis's website: http://travel.state.....html#Immigrant

Under "How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card

After your fiancé(e) has been admitted into the United States, he/she can apply for a social security number card by visiting one of the Social Security offices in your local area. To learn about how-to-apply, visit the website for the Social Security Administration." click on the link and that page can be printed and taken to the SSA office.

This is the link to get to the SSA website:http://ssa-custhelp....php?p_faqid=576

and from there, click Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens and that can be printed as well because it is more specific

MrsTee just saw your post, it's more informative than mine but where did you find it so I can print it? Thanks

Edited by kjenkins86

K-1

09/17/09 Mailed I-129F

09/21/09 NOA1

12/04/09 NOA2!!!!

12/07/09 NVC Received Case

12/10/09 NVC Sent Case to Consulate

12/15/09 Consulate Recieved Case

12/21/09 Packet 3 Sent Out

2/12/10 Interview @ 8:30

APPROVED!!!!

2/26/10 POE @ JFK

Still haven't recieved visa yet: I was lucky enough to get my money back because the flight canceled.

3/2/10 Visa ready for pick up

3/3/10 visa picked up

3/3/10 POE @ JFK

5/1/10 Wedding

AOS

7/19/10 Mailed AOS Package

7/21/10 Package Received

7/27/10 Check Cashed

7/30/10 Recieved NOA

8/13/10 Case transfered to CSC!

8/18/10 Received biometrics letter

8/26/2010 Biometrics appt

9/13/2010 EAD and AP approved

9/18/2010 AP recieved

9/23/2010 EAD recieved

10/1/2010 Greencard Approved

10/09/2010 Greencard Recieved, DONE with USCIS until August 2012

Timeline

good morning!!!!

its wednesday so much closer to friday YAYYYY

as far as SS goes :innocent: you are so right, like any other bureaucratic agency, ALOT of ppl don't know what they are talking about and instead of saying that or FULLY explaining the whole process if they do know, then they just blow you off wanting to get to the next person or the next issue..i like to explain, cuz i don't like when ppl tell me "well last time i was told"

immigration is SUPPOSED to have the information for an immigrant available for ssa to verify within the 2 week timeframe,95% of the time thats exactly what happens BUT sometimes that doesn't happen.. i have processed cards myself when immigration did not give us verification on a person for 6 weeks, most commonly its when the name is off on our records vs theirs, but honestly it could be anything.

all the worker does is plug the info in a computer.. the process from there is done on its on. the computer gives us the status and to be honest we don't know what alot of it means unless original apps are what you do all day, ( which most offices dont, unless u have a high immigrant neighborhood, i may have 3 per day vs 50 replacements a day) you never have the time to study what the feedback is and why, . either immigration has verified it or they haven't yet UNFORTUNATELY.. timeframes are TOTAL estimates.. ppl may say 6 weeks, they may say 30 days.. its all based on that offices experience..

to be safe.. my ofc normally ALWAYS says 2 weeks for replacement cards (altho it usually takes 5-7 days) and 6-8 weeks for a original ss card because it can vary on WHEN immigration's records are updated to our records..better to estimate longer than shorter and have ppl calling us saying they didn't get something...

like anything.. when you are not getting a good answer, i agree with tee that you should speak w/ another worker or sup, but i just wanted to give a lil bit of background on why those crazy workers sound so confused.. :thumbs:

The Application Process:

:: For K1 Visa Holders ::

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do

not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA

offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior

to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your

record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the

USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These

documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)

your valid I-94

another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware

that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not

you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

i meant to put thumbs up on ur post mrstee LOL

i don't even know what kjenkins question was, but this is a good rundown of how its done!!

Timeline

Any plans for St. Patrick's Day?

I'm leaving here at 2 to go do a little partying in Dogtown and then corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight. Cannot wait.

no plans for me YET... think i wanna go dancing tonight.. gotta figure out how imma break it to roger that i will be having fun while he is at work :whistle::rofl:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Mrstee, I am sorry you are feeling melencholy.. I am no stranger to that feeling.

I cannot imagine the feeling of losing my mom, I would be devastated. I only wish for you happy thoughts today.

Call your dad.. can you visit him? Maybe just visit him if you can.

I am with Ells about feeling uncomfortable... I have a hard time w/ sick people as well.

My mom's boyfriend of 15 years passed away when I was 20 of lung cancer. He was only in the hospitol for a week before he died. I could not go to visit. I think now maybe I could but at 20 I was too afraid to cry. Now I cry all the time and just say "f it"... LOL

Thats me! I am a cryer! LOL

Have a green beer, or a shamrock shake and some smiles today. :)

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Timeline

good morning!!!!

its wednesday so much closer to friday YAYYYY

as far as SS goes :innocent: you are so right, like any other bureaucratic agency, ALOT of ppl don't know what they are talking about and instead of saying that or FULLY explaining the whole process if they do know, then they just blow you off wanting to get to the next person or the next issue..i like to explain, cuz i don't like when ppl tell me "well last time i was told"

immigration is SUPPOSED to have the information for an immigrant available for ssa to verify within the 2 week timeframe,95% of the time thats exactly what happens BUT sometimes that doesn't happen.. i have processed cards myself when immigration did not give us verification on a person for 6 weeks, most commonly its when the name is off on our records vs theirs, but honestly it could be anything.

all the worker does is plug the info in a computer.. the process from there is done on its on. the computer gives us the status and to be honest we don't know what alot of it means unless original apps are what you do all day, ( which most offices dont, unless u have a high immigrant neighborhood, i may have 3 per day vs 50 replacements a day) you never have the time to study what the feedback is and why, . either immigration has verified it or they haven't yet UNFORTUNATELY.. timeframes are TOTAL estimates.. ppl may say 6 weeks, they may say 30 days.. its all based on that offices experience..

to be safe.. my ofc normally ALWAYS says 2 weeks for replacement cards (altho it usually takes 5-7 days) and 6-8 weeks for a original ss card because it can vary on WHEN immigration's records are updated to our records..better to estimate longer than shorter and have ppl calling us saying they didn't get something...

like anything.. when you are not getting a good answer, i agree with tee that you should speak w/ another worker or sup, but i just wanted to give a lil bit of background on why those crazy workers sound so confused.. :thumbs:

i meant to put thumbs up on ur post mrstee LOL

i don't even know what kjenkins question was, but this is a good rundown of how its done!!

Ok thanks Quana.

I just found his work permit stamp on his i-94 form but as I was reading on a few websites, I didn't understand if this can be used to work or not. Some said yes, for 90 days and some said it's no longer used to work. So what's the deal with this stamp?

So far I know that JFK airport (NY) gives it but CAN it be used to work? I don't even wanna call immigration because that's pointless...

K-1

09/17/09 Mailed I-129F

09/21/09 NOA1

12/04/09 NOA2!!!!

APPROVED!!!!

2/26/10 POE @ JFK

Still haven't recieved visa yet: I was lucky enough to get my money back because the flight canceled.

3/3/10 visa picked up

3/3/10 POE @ JFK

5/1/10 Wedding

AOS

7/21/10 Package Received

7/27/10 Check Cashed

7/30/10 Recieved NOA

9/18/2010 AP recieved

9/23/2010 EAD recieved

Timeline

Good morning Yardies:

Today Im feeling melacholy, not sad, but today is my late mother's birthday. She would have been 66. She died from a rare form of liver cancer and she also suffered from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) I know her "Irish" eyes are smiling down on us though.blush.gif

Thank you for all the love and support about my dad. He is a fighter and he will keep fighting. Not to mention he is about to have surgery AGAIN on his wrists for Carpel tunnel this makes surgery #17blink.gif He also is about to have his knee replaced AGAIN. blink.gif He was only supposed to have it in for 12 years, he has had his in for 15 years. He takes a lickin and keeps on tickin'!!!

Good morning, I hope your day and mood improves :)

stay encouraged mrs tee.. glad ur dad is showing his body who's boss!!

ive been hearing bout that carpal tunnel surgery, and how its not very reliable??? 17 surgeries MAN.. my wrist has a lil tinge of pain every once and a while, i have an ergonomic keyboard, but still..uggh i would hate to have to worry bout surgery anytime soon.. :unsure:

Timeline

Hi Bunz, when are you coming?

K-1

09/17/09 Mailed I-129F

09/21/09 NOA1

12/04/09 NOA2!!!!

APPROVED!!!!

2/26/10 POE @ JFK

3/3/10 visa picked up

3/3/10 POE @ JFK

5/1/10 Wedding

AOS

7/21/10 Package Received

7/27/10 Check Cashed

7/30/10 Recieved NOA

9/18/2010 AP recieved

9/23/2010 EAD recieved

Timeline

I didn't do anything. You should've said this statement a little earlier in the day!

I didn't know a little earlier in the day.

AOS

9/25/09 -Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765

9/27/09 - Received by Chicago Lock Box

10/2/09 - Date on NAO1's

10/5/09 - Received NAO1's in the mail

10/5/09- Check cashed

10/11/09 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail

10/29/09- Biometrics appointment

10/14/09 - Walked in for Biometrics appointment

10/15/09 - Touch I-485/I-765

10/16/09 - I-485 transferred to CSC

11/6/09 - EAD approved

11/9/09 - Advance Parole approved

11/23/09- Received EAD/AP

12/2/09 - Email Card Production Ordered!!!!

12/9/09 - Card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hey yardies

mrstee (F)

I864 delivered November 2nd.....nvc logged it on November 5th

DS230 delivered November 6th.....nvc logged it on November 12th

Welcome to US Letter May 19th

Card production ordered May 25th

739444001253587733-final.gif

upherebl.gif

Good morning Yardies:

Morning Tee! Sorry for your mood today...I can definitely understand that. Your Mother sounds like from the way you talk about her on the board that she was amazing! May her memories live on!

Also praying for your dad! (F)

Hugs to you my sista! :luv:

Removal of Conditions Journey

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/02/2012-Packaged arrived at Vermont Service Center-Signed by D. Renaud

04/05/2012- check cashed

04/07/2012- Recvd NOA in mail dated 04/03/2012

05/14/12-Biometrics Appointment- Completed

12/31/12-Production of card ordered text/email

mjnrabxt.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.