shoshoandhamada

islamic marriage and recognized

110 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
This has been discussed several times over the last 4 years. Why go another round? Briefly, the requirements within all 4 madhabs are simple:

1. Offer

2. Acceptance

3. Two sane, male muslim witnesses

4. Publication

In all but the hanafi madhab, the woman should have a wali representing here. The man offers mahr, the woman can accept or refuse it.

Nah, I think I'll just continue to enjoy my fake marriage with my husband who clearly has no respect for me :luv:

We're all happy for you, Rahma.

Is that all you think there is to a valid marriage? Why did the great imams waste their time with all the rest, I wonder.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Debate and discussion are healthy exercises when there is disagreement. But, trying to discredit the messanger's character or credibility without offering a substangive rebuttal is childish. We know that those among us who had a fake marriage then did a K1 don't like hearing that it's wrong, but it would be more beneficial to all if you added to the exchange with more than "Dont listen to her". Take apart my points. Show us how the schools of thought aren't important. Give me something to respond to other than criticism lacking support.

The rebuttal is that people should seek scholars of repute. If you had the knowledge you claim to have, I would think you too would be referring people to legitimate reputable sources rather than seeking it from you on an immigration forum.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Awww, this is just like the old days. I'm getting all nostalgic and teary-eyed. *Sniff* :luv:

I know :dance::dance::dance: ...where is Charles' Muslim Olympics logo when you need it??? :thumbs:

Timeline
The rebuttal is that people should seek scholars of repute. If you had the knowledge you claim to have, I would think you too would be referring people to legitimate reputable sources rather than seeking it from you on an immigration forum.

If you believe that to be the best course, follow it. Nothing I have said cannot be researched for yourself. Complaining about me doesn't accomplish that.

Timeline
I know :dance::dance::dance: ...where is Charles' Muslim Olympics logo when you need it??? :thumbs:

Olympics require competition between folks with skills. I'm still waiting for someone with skills to add something new to the exchange. I won't be bullied into silence, so, is there more coming, or is this it?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I want the smily with that is eating the popcorn watching!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Olympics require competition between folks with skills. I'm still waiting for someone with skills to add something new to the exchange. I won't be bullied into silence, so, is there more coming, or is this it?

Is that the kind of banter your PhD in Islamic Law taught you? Nice. Classy and beautiful example of civilized, peaceful, respectful communication among Muslim sisters.

Timeline
Ok, it's clear what's happening. A diversion is building to avoid the topic and discuss and disparage me, instead. That's very telling about the level of knowledge about Islam here.

A diversion is your long post above that does not back and in fact contradicts your claim that people who marry by nikah alone are fornicators. Beyond knowing the name of the person they are taking rulings from and their background, Muslims usually do care about the character and manners of the people they are taking from, so in that regard, there is validity to the points being made.

Timeline
A diversion is your long post above that does not back and in fact contradicts your claim that people who marry by nikah alone are fornicators. Beyond knowing the name of the person they are taking rulings from and their background, Muslims usually do care about the character and manners of the people they are taking from, so in that regard, there is validity to the points being made.

You don't have to take it. Disprove it, if you disagree. I'm not really the issue; my words are.

Timeline
You don't have to take it. Disprove it, if you disagree. I'm not really the issue; my words are.

Zahra has said it perfectly

The burden of proof is on you to make your argument. I do not claim to be a religious or legal scholar of any kind; I simply rely on the work of those who came before me. The requirements of a valid nikah are well known and understood, and if you want to add another requirement, it is on you to prove that this is in fact a requirement. Because I have no reason to trust your ijtihad on this or any other issue, you need to cite more reliable sources with solid credentials (as was already mentioned, a PhD in Islamic law in itself does not provide religious authority). So why don’t you share your sources with us.

For years now you have made this claim yet failed to prove it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I want the smily with that is eating the popcorn watching!

Glad to oblige. :pop:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

Saying that Im wrong and proving that I'm wrong are two different things. I've been courteous enough to state a case, but no one has the cojones to dispute it with facts. There are people here who agree with me and people who don't. I would take all this denial and catterwalling more seriously if it wasn't coming from women who are defending their own fake marriages. The dumbing down of Muslims and the poverty of scholarship has been slow and insidious, with sad consequences.

I asked for the courtesy of a civil exchange of ideas, but there is one up to it, some seeing this as entertainment. I did what some only give lip service to and studied and learned. I take comfort in the efforts Ive shared. At least I have done that much, which is more than can be honestly said of my critics.

I have a budget meeting to attend. Checking back later, I hope to discover that there is one among you who is willing to stand apart from the pack and think independently.

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Why would anyone want to engage in a discussion with you when you insist on deriding their marriages?

Also, Squeaky caterwauls. I do not. She's been caterwauling quite a bit lately, missing her daddy, my fake husband AbuS.

100_2385.jpg

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.