Obama 2012

Triple (not Dual) Citizenship?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is an interesting one and I'm sure it's come up for some...

My fiance is Canadian born, but her Dad is from England, so she has dual-citizenship in Canada and in the UK. Actually carries both passports as well.

What will happen (if anything) if she wants to become a US Citizen eventually?

Can you have citizenship in 3 countries, or will she have to give up one of them?

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Same as dual citizenship, so far as the U.S. is concerned. When you go through with U.S. Citizenship, you make a verbal oath that you will be have allegiance only to America. So in a way, you DO renounce any other citizenship. However, it's quite subjective, since Canada and most other first-world countries don't recognize that oath as an actual renunciation. Furthermore, the U.S. will not follow up (in all practical circumstances, at least) on whether or not you are still a citizen of other countries.

It basically comes down to whether or not YOU feel comfortable with swearing that oath.

I'm a citizen of Canada (where I was born and have lived all my life) and New Zealand (where my father was born...I was able to get citizenship through descent). I'm not sure whether or not I'll get U.S. Citizenship... I've got three years to decide though.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
This is an interesting one and I'm sure it's come up for some...

My fiance is Canadian born, but her Dad is from England, so she has dual-citizenship in Canada and in the UK. Actually carries both passports as well.

What will happen (if anything) if she wants to become a US Citizen eventually?

Can you have citizenship in 3 countries, or will she have to give up one of them?

Crib notes: Nothing will happen :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, perfectly valid. There are quite a few people have triple citizenship to the UK / Canada / the US.

Edited by Spoom

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Timeline

Question for the dual-citizens: did you/will you bring proof of your other citizenship to the interview? I was planning to bring my "other" passport... just not sure if it will cause more questions or not :mellow:

Question for the dual-citizens: did you/will you bring proof of your other citizenship to the interview? I was planning to bring my "other" passport... just not sure if it will cause more questions or not :mellow:

That's a VERY good question, La Souris. I don't hold a New Zealand passport and never have... I'm guessing that since you're being processed through Montreal as a Canadian immigrating to the U.S., it's not going to be an issue. Probably a good idea to bring your other passport just in case though...can't hurt to have it in with your other docs.

Now I'm wondering if I should bring my New Zealand citizenship certificate. :unsure:

Dammit, I hate thinking of all these things so close to the interview.

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Timeline
That's a VERY good question, La Souris. I don't hold a New Zealand passport and never have... I'm guessing that since you're being processed through Montreal as a Canadian immigrating to the U.S., it's not going to be an issue. Probably a good idea to bring your other passport just in case though...can't hurt to have it in with your other docs.

Now I'm wondering if I should bring my New Zealand citizenship certificate. :unsure:

Dammit, I hate thinking of all these things so close to the interview.

I didn't mean to worry you... :blush: I think I'll bring my other citizenship passport and leave it in my folder in case they ask about it. I SO do not want them to ask for something I don't have ~ I'm getting nervous :wacko:

I didn't mean to worry you... :blush: I think I'll bring my other citizenship passport and leave it in my folder in case they ask about it. I SO do not want them to ask for something I don't have ~ I'm getting nervous :wacko:

Funnily enough, I'm not nervous. I AM in the same boat of not wanting them to ask for something I don't have though. I can't bear the thought of things being delayed for several weeks because I didn't bring some silly, barely relevant document I was never asked for. *sigh* Maybe I'll bring my NZ Citizenship document just in case.

Filed: Other Timeline

I have dual citizenship due to the fact that my mom was German and my dad Swedish, and once I'm done with naturalization in a few months' time, I'll have triple citizenship. Theoretically, I could become a quadruple citizen but since I'm not Jewish, I can't conquer the quintruple barrier. The sky's the limit, as long as the countries play along. Great Britain and Canada are the easiest ones.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline
I have dual citizenship due to the fact that my mom was German and my dad Swedish, and once I'm done with naturalization in a few months' time, I'll have triple citizenship. Theoretically, I could become a quadruple citizen but since I'm not Jewish, I can't conquer the quintruple barrier. The sky's the limit, as long as the countries play along. Great Britain and Canada are the easiest ones.

Hmm Bob I would take a look into that. For Germany you need to apply for permission to hold other citizenships if you weren't born with them and the odds that they will allow more than 1 other one is fairly low from what I've heard. Its one of the dilemma's I've been facing, because I'm not quite positive I want to give up my German citizenship to get my US one. If you don't ask for the permission and take on another one they will automatically revoke your German citizenship.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline
Funnily enough, I'm not nervous. I AM in the same boat of not wanting them to ask for something I don't have though. I can't bear the thought of things being delayed for several weeks because I didn't bring some silly, barely relevant document I was never asked for. *sigh* Maybe I'll bring my NZ Citizenship document just in case.

That's totally normal, it really is. The only thing I was worried about before my interview was that I'd forget something silly. When you are confident that your relationship is solid, you start thinking about little silly things that can cause you trouble. I brought pretty much everything under the sun. I had a huge binder filled with random documents of things I was worried that may come up. I was adopted as a kid and had all my adoption documentation with me, why would they need it? No idea, but I had it! :lol: At the end of the day I brought everything I could think of, because it made me more confident that I was prepared.

I went to school with a guy who was a Canadian/American/UK citizen and he was in the process of trying to obtain Scottish citizenship. He would always joke that he likes to "collect citizenship's" like they're baseball cards or something. But, if you can do it, then I guess there isn't a reason not too.

Filed: Other Timeline
Hmm Bob I would take a look into that. For Germany you need to apply for permission to hold other citizenships if you weren't born with them and the odds that they will allow more than 1 other one is fairly low from what I've heard. Its one of the dilemma's I've been facing, because I'm not quite positive I want to give up my German citizenship to get my US one. If you don't ask for the permission and take on another one they will automatically revoke your German citizenship.

What you are referring to is the Beibehaltungsbescheinigung. The only way to get is by bullshitting the German Government by claiming you want to apply for a job that requires US citizenship due to security clearance, among other things. Learn all there is to know about it by joining the Yahoo group ZweiPaesse.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I went to school with a guy who was a Canadian/American/UK citizen and he was in the process of trying to obtain Scottish citizenship. He would always joke that he likes to "collect citizenship's" like they're baseball cards or something. But, if you can do it, then I guess there isn't a reason not too.

Meh...I don't like the idea of "collecting" citizenships, really. Both of mine have very good reasoning behind them...as would my U.S. one if I go for it. I was born and raised in Canada, so that's a no-brainer. But culturally I've always had a very close kinship to New Zealand. That blood runs deep in me, I guess. It's kind of funny -- last week I was watching a speed-skating event with my parents, and a Kiwi was paired up with a Canuck. Despite ourselves, ALL THREE of us were rooting for the Kiwi! :P

If I decide to get U.S. Citizenship, I'll take it very seriously, to the point that I would take up arms to defend America if the need arose. But I'm also aware that others place a different value on citizenship, and I suppose that's fine too. We all have our reasons.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Scotland is part of the UK.. and you would get a UK passport.. maybe he meant Ireland? Because Ireland has their own passport. I'm Scottish by parentage and yet I get a UK passport not some special "scottish" one.

To answer the OP, like many others I have dual already. here is a website that lists what countries accept or don't accept dual (and triple etc) http://www.800citizen.com/dualCitizenship.htm

In regards to the interview, I didn't need to show my UK passport as I was applying as an Australian so that's the one they were interested in. In fact, they were quite irritated when I asked if they wanted to see it ... but I think that was because I was wasting their time or distracting them or something like that.

Timeline
What you are referring to is the Beibehaltungsbescheinigung. The only way to get is by bullshitting the German Government by claiming you want to apply for a job that requires US citizenship due to security clearance, among other things. Learn all there is to know about it by joining the Yahoo group ZweiPaesse.

oh thank you! I will take a look at it. I was hoping there would be a way for me to keep it but I couldnt find anything on how to do it.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.