FrankBooth

Naturalization obstacles if out of country alot?

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

It's been a while since I've been here. My mother, came to US in 1975. She lived here more or less continuously until the 90's. Then she started having longer and longer stays out if the country, none over a year, but many over 6 months.

I've read in some places that you must live with uninterrupted absences or at least very short absences from the US for at least 5 years. Is this actually the case?

Anyone had any experience with this sort of situation and can any sort of waiver be gotten? My mom would like to get her citizenship now and not have to wait 5 years.

Thanks for any advice!

--FB

Timeline:

09 Mar 2004 -- Mailed I129F Petition

10 Mar 2004 -- Petition Rec'd in Vermont SC

15 Mar 2004 -- Check Clears

17 Mar 2004 -- Rec'd first NOA

21 Apr 2004 -- Approved ONLINE!

26 Apr 2004 -- Rec'd NOA #2 by mail

27 Apr 2004 -- NVC receives Petition

30 Apr 2004 -- NVC Mails Petition to Embassy!

05 May 2004-- Embassy receives Petition

18 May 2004-- Packet 3 received

21 May 2004-- Medical Appointment and Vax

26 May 2004-- Applied for visa (got PIN to call Embassy)

28 May 2004-- Received Medical Results, called for interview date--They said interview date would be sent by mail within a Month.

01 Jun 2004 -- Wrote and sent letter to Embassy requesting interview within certain date range. Hope it works! --Did not work :(

22 Jul 2004-- Fiancee receives interview letter. Date is set to 08 September 2004. That's 6 months almost to the day of sending 129f!

08 Sep 2004-- K1 Embassy Interview is successful!!!

12 Sep 2004-- POE at JFK, no problems, temp work permit issued!

13 Sep 2004-- Applied for SS card.

23 Sep 2004-- Receive SS card

06 Nov 2004-- Married!

AOS/EAD

10 Feb 2005--Overnighted AOS/EAD package to Chicago center

06 Mar 2005--Rec's AOs/EAD NOA (must make Bio appt.)

08 Mar 2005--Biometrics Appt set for Apr 17

17 Apr 2005--Was fingerprinted and pictures were taken, took less than an hour. EAD will arrive within 90 days.

19 Apr 2005--Online Approval of EAD, says it will arrive as soon as card is ready--whatever that means...

25 Apr 2005--Online notice that AOS process is now continuing due to Biometrics being complete

To be cont'd.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A Guide to Naturalization (Form M-476)

Worth a read.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is the link to the Guide to Naturalization: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000b92ca60aRCRD

Your mother has to meet physical presence and continual residency requirements. They allow her to be outside of the US no more than a certain number of months during the qualifying 5 year time period and with no visits outside of the US lasting more than 6 months in the same 5 years. Every time she has a visit outside of the US for more than 6 months she re-sets the continual presence clock back to zero. So, go back to her last trip of longer than 6 months duration and start your timing from her return to the US. That will give you an idea of how long she needs to be in the US to qualify for citizenship. The Guide contains a chart near the end that breaks down the exact requirements in detail so you should be able to calculate when she qualifies. From now on, she needs to make sure she is not outside of the US for more than 6 months - she can have trips of shorter duration - and then see how many months she needs to be in the US to meet the physical presence requirement. It may be less than 5 years depending on when her last 6 month plus trip took place.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Here is the link to the Guide to Naturalization: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000b92ca60aRCRD

Your mother has to meet physical presence and continual residency requirements. They allow her to be outside of the US no more than a certain number of months during the qualifying 5 year time period and with no visits outside of the US lasting more than 6 months in the same 5 years. Every time she has a visit outside of the US for more than 6 months she re-sets the continual presence clock back to zero. So, go back to her last trip of longer than 6 months duration and start your timing from her return to the US. That will give you an idea of how long she needs to be in the US to qualify for citizenship. The Guide contains a chart near the end that breaks down the exact requirements in detail so you should be able to calculate when she qualifies. From now on, she needs to make sure she is not outside of the US for more than 6 months - she can have trips of shorter duration - and then see how many months she needs to be in the US to meet the physical presence requirement. It may be less than 5 years depending on when her last 6 month plus trip took place.

Nope...

6 mths but less than 1 yr...."Disrupts" continual requirements....."stops the clock"

Outside more than 12 mths ...."Re-sets the clock" (Clock goes back to zero)

Outside for more than 12 mths, even with a re-entry I-131 .....Re-Sets 4yrs 1 day....5 yr Rule....30mths of the last 5 yrs must be physical in the us.

Outside for more than 6mths but less than 1 yr ......."Disrupts" continual residency requirements ...Under the 3yr rule & 5 yr Rule..18mths of physical presence must be required under the 3 yr rule...

Now...just because she was outside the us for more than 6 mths but less than 1 yr......If she can prove that she kept a us residency "Home", payed and filed IRS taxes, maintain us bank accounts, ect... this "may" help her out if she where to file now...

Bottom line is..she must show that she didn't intend to abandon her LPR Stauts at anytime over the last 5 yrs....

Filed: Other Timeline

That's the very first time I saw Superwoman make a mistake. She is a human being, yeayyyyyy!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Nope...

6 mths but less than 1 yr...."Disrupts" continual requirements....."stops the clock"

Actually, the law says that a period of 6 months to one year outside of the US will break the continuous residence for the purpose of naturalization unless the applicant can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the attorney general that it did not break the period of continuous residence. Naturalization normally requires five years of continuous residence (three years for many VJ'ers who are married to a US Citizen, but I assume that doesn't apply to this thread), and this period cannot be broken.

The M-476 phrases the requirement as "5 years as a Permanent Resident without leaving the United States for trips of 6 months or longer." See M-476 page 18, top row of the table. It's not just that a trip of 6 months or longer stops the clock for awhile, but that it means you have to start the five year period over. But the M-476 doesn't tell the whole story about the possibility of providing proof to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that a trip of six months or more didn't actually break continuous residency.

INA 316( b ) Absence from the United States of more than six months but less than one year during the period for which continuous residence is required for admission to citizenship, immediately preceding the date of filing the application for naturalization, or during the period between the date of filing the application and the date of any hearing under section 336(a) , shall break the continuity of such residence, unless the applicant shall establish to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that he did not in fact abandon his residence in the United States during such period.

8 CFR 316.5( c ) Disruption of continuity of residence—(1) Absence from the United States—(i) For continuous periods of between six (6) months and one (1) year. Absences from the United States for continuous periods of between six (6) months and one (1) year during the periods for which continuous residence is required under §316.2 (a)(3) and (a)(6) shall disrupt the continuity of such residence for purposes of this part unless the applicant can establish otherwise to the satisfaction of the Service. This finding remains valid even if the applicant did not apply for or otherwise request a nonresident classification for tax purposes, did not document an abandonment of lawful permanent resident status, and is still considered a lawful permanent resident under immigration laws. The types of documentation which may establish that the applicant did not disrupt the continuity of his or her residence in the United States during an extended absence include, but are not limited to, evidence that during the absence:

(A) The applicant did not terminate his or her employment in the United States;

(B) The applicant's immediate family remained in the United States;

© The applicant retained full access to his or her United States abode; or

(D) The applicant did not obtain employment while abroad.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

If the OP has been a LPR since the 1975, there is a good chance that she may can establish strong ties to the us such as..

(A) The applicant did not terminate his or her employment in the United States;

(B) The applicant's immediate family remained in the United States;

© The applicant retained full access to his or her United States abode; or

(D) The applicant did not obtain employment while abroad.

Filed: Other Timeline

I should have known it. Superwoman doesn't make mistakes . . .

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
:guides:

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

I should have known it. Superwoman doesn't make mistakes . . .

Nope Just Bob....

There is still a difference in the word "Disrupt" and "break" even though the immigration laws put them 2 words in the same context...

I've myself has spoken to several lawyers and 2 of them have'nt a clue.....and one lawyer i spoke to who is special in this department (Abandonment issues) he also said that yes..the wording is mixed up but there is a difference..

Again...outside for 6mths but less than a year..."May Disrupt" notice the word "May" given you the chance to prove continuity of residence which if so

then the O.P given that she has been a LPR since 1975 may show strong ties to the us..

Now if she is outside the us for more than 12mths.....yep..game over ...re-sets the clock to the start...unless the O.P has filed a re-entry permit I-131

then it be 4yrs and 1 day Rule.....for the 5 yr rule..

3yr rule...with a re-entry permit filed will be 2 yrs and 1 day...

Nope Just Bob....

There is still a difference in the word "Disrupt" and "break" even though the immigration laws put them 2 words in the same context...

I'm curious. What is the difference between "Disrupt" and "break" in the context of continuous residence for naturalization purposes?

Note that the law uses both "disrupt" and "break" to describe what happens to your continuity of residence when you're out of the country for a period of 6 months to one year, assuming you can't prove that you maintained continuity during your absence.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The general thing with absences is that anything over 6 months it will be up to the person to prove to the IO that they did not a) break continuous residency and b) they maintained US residency. This means the trip outside the US has to have a resonable purpose (like taking care of a sick relative etc).

They will check if the person did many trips back to back with short times back in the US which will break the residency, they will check if the person maintained a home and bills etc in the US while they were away, they will check if the person was working outside of the US.

Anything under 6 months away it will be the IO that will have to prove that someone has broken continous residency or broken US residency period.

Just by reading the initial post, many trips in the past 5 years out of the US will surely be denied. If it's many trips outside the the US with only a few weeks or months back in the US before another long trip repeatedly, there's a chance they may even revoke the Green Card status which they have the right to do.

Main thing is it's not always the duration of the time that is the issue with these cases, it's the nature of the these trips they are interested in. Many people have actually been ok with taking a trip over 6 months before, others have been denied for under 6 months. It all depends on the strength of the evidence. Your mother will need a lot of hard core evidence to prove that she was not breaking continous residency and prove that she has not abandoned her Green Card either with these trips...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.