mike777

WIFE=CANl HUSBAND =USC, where to have children...

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Question,

I'm a USC, wifes canadian, wife will be green card holder. OK.

What if we're in Canada visiting her family, etc and my wifes about to pop out a baby and she does.

What time and money would we have to deal with on getting the baby to the US permanently. Ideally, I'd want any children we have to be USC's, and we'd naturally try to be in US during that time, but hypothetically, say we were in Canada at the time she had a child.

Would we have to deal with the entire process like I did for my wife, for the child? Plus fork out all that money again? Or because I'm a USC, is there some easy and painless process on going back and staying in US.

Keep in mind that we visit Canada for her family and our friends and that we're so close, etc.

thanks.

I-130 Received: 5-11-2009

I-130 Approved: 8-28-2009

Checklist on my DS230 and 864; Called, under review for checklist corrections (small delay) - Oct and Nov

Case Complete: 12/11/09

Received Interview Date: 1/22/10

Medial: 2/22/10: passed

Interview: 3/3/10: APPROVED! WHOO-HOOO

POE: 3/6/10: yeah!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You would need to apply for a consular report of birth abroad for your child. That, combined with a birth certificate would get the baby back to the U.S.

What is the purpose of doing this though? I mean having the baby in Canada?

Edited by trailmix

hey TM,

no purpose or intent of doing this, but say, I dunno, we're grocery shopping or something in Canada and my wife starts going into labor, and say there's no time to go back across the border to the US hospital or the US, or even say we are risking it and just visiting her family farther up north and she goes into labor.

Whats the citizenship if the child is born in Canada...US....? dual?

Checklist on my DS230 and 864; Called, under review for checklist corrections (small delay) - Oct and Nov

Timeline

Yes, the child would be dual. Assuming your wife was born in Canada the child will be dual anyway, even if born in the U.S.

I'm also assuming that you, as the U.S. citizen were physically present in the US for periods totalling five years - prior to said child being born (at least 2 after your 14th birthday)

There is also the consideration that you would have to pay for all the Canadian medical expenses incurred - unless your U.S. insurance will cover an out-of-country birth - worth checking in to.

Edited by trailmix

hey TM.

I gotcha, cool. I haven't looked into the insurance stuff for that regard yet. I just know I'm putting my wife on mine when she comes over. We'll have to research that at a later time when we do have a child.

thank though

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
...and my wifes about to pop out a baby

:lol: Sorry the mental picture is hilarious though.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

:wacko: lol

no purpose or intent of doing this, but say, I dunno, we're grocery shopping or something in Canada and my wife starts going into labor, and say there's no time to go back across the border to the US hospital or the US, or even say we are risking it and just visiting her family farther up north and she goes into labor.

"Cleanup in aisle nine! Cleanup in aisle nine!"

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

And im sure ur aware, that since she will most likely not be a resident of Canada then, she is no longer entitled to "free" health care.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I had our son in Canada (I the canadian was still living in canada). It was very easy and not really expensive to get his birth abroad papers filled out. We got his american passport and birth abroad certificate really quickly. i dont remember exactly how long it took but the info is on our page i think. You dont have to apply for his passport at the same time of his birth abroad but we figured it was easiest.

Edited by chrisNmanda

Our current timeline:

Met online Oct 2004

Met in person June 2006

Engaged Oct 2007

Son born Leap day 2008

Birth Abroad applied for in Toronto, ON Sept 9th 2009

Birth Abroad Certificate received Sept 24th 2009

I-129F submitted October 21st 2009

NOA1 received October 26th 2009

NOA2 received February 2nd 2010

NVC received February 19th 2010

left NVC February 22nd 2010

consulate received February 23rd 2010 ( wow 1 day !?!? )

Packet 3 received March 4th 2010

getting packet 3 ready.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is a website that talks about what you need and how you pass your american citizenship to your child. hope this helps. http://stpetersburg.usconsulate.gov/birth-...zen-abroad.html

Our current timeline:

Met online Oct 2004

Met in person June 2006

Engaged Oct 2007

Son born Leap day 2008

Birth Abroad applied for in Toronto, ON Sept 9th 2009

Birth Abroad Certificate received Sept 24th 2009

I-129F submitted October 21st 2009

NOA1 received October 26th 2009

NOA2 received February 2nd 2010

NVC received February 19th 2010

left NVC February 22nd 2010

consulate received February 23rd 2010 ( wow 1 day !?!? )

Packet 3 received March 4th 2010

getting packet 3 ready.....

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Mike777,

Hmm...Tough choice where to have your child....

It ultimately boils down to:

-Costs (medical insurance, medical care, other childcare expenses, etc.)

-Overall where you and your family prefer your child to be born...personal choice there...

-Where do you and your family live in/want to live in

-Which government/country would you rather deal with to declare a birth abroad and the application/rules/procedures you want to follow there....

-An odd one: Where do you see your child in the future associating more with (Canadian or American)...Visualize the birth certificate here...lol....

As a parent, yes, you can choose where your child is going to be born. And that decision is important, as that affects how a child will be thought of and brought up in the future. For example, how many times in life is someone asked.."Where are you born/place of birth?" and then to have such on certain docuements for the rest of your life because of this (lol..I've had problems with this, but that's another story...)....

Either way, since you are a USC and your wife is Canadian, your child has the possiblity of being a dual citizen of both of these countries....(note: it's not automatic, you and/or the child have to apply for such.."birth abroad" in the non-birth country), so that's not a problem there...There are benefits of dual citizenship, and if your child can have such a chance, you can consider such. For example, when they have the birth abroad, they are citizens of that country (just like they were born there) can get that other country's passport, which can be an advantage when travelling and for other purposes.

As for my son, I decided American first for him...It was an obvious choice, since at the time of his birth I was here in the USA anyways (as a US permanent resident and Canadian citizen), have family and friends here, and my medical care was covered here. Plus, I figure it was easier to deal with the Canadian government's birth abroad than the US governement birth abroad...lol...harder to deal with the US officials (lol..the USCIS left a sour taste in my mouth) than Canadian officials..

And if my son ever decided that he wanted Canadian citizenship someday (before age 28..as that is the maximum age for birth abroad for Canadians born to a Canadian parent), I'll support and help him with that then too (I didn't want to choose for him, as I didn't think it was fair for a minor to make such a decision...I'll let him decide on that on his own later on...).

Hope this helps. Good luck with your future child and whatever you decide for them there....And may you and your family make a wise decision there...;)

Ant

Question,

I'm a USC, wifes canadian, wife will be green card holder. OK.

What if we're in Canada visiting her family, etc and my wifes about to pop out a baby and she does.

What time and money would we have to deal with on getting the baby to the US permanently. Ideally, I'd want any children we have to be USC's, and we'd naturally try to be in US during that time, but hypothetically, say we were in Canada at the time she had a child.

Would we have to deal with the entire process like I did for my wife, for the child? Plus fork out all that money again? Or because I'm a USC, is there some easy and painless process on going back and staying in US.

Keep in mind that we visit Canada for her family and our friends and that we're so close, etc.

thanks.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline
And if my son ever decided that he wanted Canadian citizenship someday (before age 28..as that is the maximum age for birth abroad for Canadians born to a Canadian parent), I'll support and help him with that then too (I didn't want to choose for him, as I didn't think it was fair for a minor to make such a decision...I'll let him decide on that on his own later on...).

Just a note that the "before age 28" only applies to the second generation born outside Canada.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.