RUSSandRACHEL

Moving to the US soon but changed US address since interview?

7 posts in this topic

I had my K1 interview on January 25th and recieved my visa shorty afterwards. My leaving date for the UK will be May 31st and Russ will be coming over 1 week prior to help me move, so we'll be travelling over together with our labrador, Honey.

On all paperwork that I completed before 25th January I had given Russ' current (at the time) address as the place where I will be staying, but since then we have found a new house to rent together that will be more room for us and our dog. So, I was just wondering, should we inform the DOS that we have a new address now? Will my SS card be sent automatically to hisold address when I arrive? Or should we just list our new address on all paperwork for AOS?

You'll inform them of his address change when you file your adjustment. Nothing to worry about.

I hope you don't think you are going to automatically receive a Social Security card when you arrive. You'll need to go apply for it (after you've been in the US a couple of weeks). At that time you will inform them where to mail it.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

You'll inform them of his address change when you file your adjustment. Nothing to worry about.

Agreed. Think of AOS as starting over from scratch with a whole new process. Use your new last name, new address, etc. You will provide forms which ask for the same things you already supplied for K1 because basically they don't go back and review your K1 forms, except hopefully your Knightsbridge medical will get matched up with your new AOS application. That's been a problem the last few months. I would try to pre-empt the RFE problem by including a statement (bolded and highlighted) in the cover letter that as a K1, you are not required to have another full medical and your visa medical given on [date] should be on record in your A-file. (That's the physical file that you turn in at POE in the brown envelope and gets stored in a central location until USCIS gets the AOS application and orders your A-file to put with it.)

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

+1 to the advice that you don't need to do anything except make the new address as your current address when you file AOS (and probably put on your entry documents on the plane over). No extra steps required.

When you go through POE, try to get them to give you a copy of the medical from your packet when they open it. Just in case.....

Agreed. Think of AOS as starting over from scratch with a whole new process. Use your new last name, new address, etc. You will provide forms which ask for the same things you already supplied for K1 because basically they don't go back and review your K1 forms, except hopefully your Knightsbridge medical will get matched up with your new AOS application. That's been a problem the last few months. I would try to pre-empt the RFE problem by including a statement (bolded and highlighted) in the cover letter that as a K1, you are not required to have another full medical and your visa medical given on [date] should be on record in your A-file. (That's the physical file that you turn in at POE in the brown envelope and gets stored in a central location until USCIS gets the AOS application and orders your A-file to put with it.)

That doesn't always work either (like in our case :ranting:). Just expect an RFE like everyone else, and if you manage to get through without one, you can be pleasantly surprised! :D:innocent:

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Will my SS card be sent automatically to hisold address

You've not applied for a SSN card. So - no need to worry about the old address, yet.

When you DO apply for a SSN card - you will be giving Russ' Current Address, at the date/time of application. You must show up in person at a SSA office.

No Worries There, for Then.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! Great advice.

How long do people say to usually leave it before applying for a SSN? Three weeks? And should I anticipate problems being a K1 holder? Is there something I can print off to show them I'm entitled to apply if they've not familiar with the process?

Click on the VJ "Guides" tab. In the second column is "How to get a Social Security number." It tells about the time to wait and gives a link for the thing to print out.

The problems people have is when they are inexperienced at the SS office. Speak to a supervisor if they say you aren't eligible. Your name must be in the S.A.V.E. database exactly as written on you I-94 card that you fill out on the plane. Write it very plainly (on the plane) so the person entering it in the database won't have any problems. The SS office has to find your name as entered into the US at POE. Apply in your maiden name exactly how you wrote it on the I-94 and change the name later after your green card. Your SS number will stay the same for life no matter how many times you change your name, so use the number for bank accounts or whatever even if the card has your maiden name on it.

If you go early and they say your name isn't in the database, but they can manually verify it by sending a request to USCIS, tell them "nevermind" and go back in a few days. The manual verification slows it down a long time. That's why VJ suggests to give it 2 weeks, but sometimes it's in the database by the next day after arrival. I think we went after maybe 10 days and had the card in a week or so.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.