PalestineMyHeart

Palestinian Refugees from Iraq Arriving in U.S.

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
An estimated 19,000 Palestinians, out of an initial population of 34,000, fled Iraq since the American invasion in 2003. Of these refugees, approximately 2500 have been stranded, under very harsh conditions, some for more than five years, in three camps, Al-Tanaf, Al-Waleed and Al-Hol. These camps are located in the middle of the desert far from any population centers. Al-Tanaf camp is located in no-man's land on the borders between Iraq and Syria. Al-Waleed is located on the Iraqi side of the border with Syria, and Al-Hol is located in Syria in the Hasaka region. The camp residents fled from Baghdad due to harassment, threats of deportation, abuse by the media, arbitrary detention, torture and murder by organized death squads. They thus became refugees again, originally as a result of the Zionist theft and colonial occupation of Palestine beginning in 1948. Some became refugees also when they were expelled from Kuwait in 1991 by the US-backed Kuwaiti government. Now, after years of waiting, many of the refugees stranded in the camps on the borders of Iraq are being relocated largely to Europe and the US, which continues to occupy Iraq to this day.

http://www.al-awda.org/alert-sd_refuge.html

120 of these families have arrived in the U.S. so far - the latest 3 just this week. They are being resettled in a number of locations around the country, including California, Texas, Arizona, New York, Georgia, and Alaska.

Most of these refugees are families with young children, and they arrive here with very little besides their clothing. If anyone would like to help them in their resettlement here in the U.S., it's easy to do. Al-Awda's Refugee Support Committee has set up a "wish list" on amazon.com with basic household items that are urgently needed:

WISH LIST

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

welcome back wom.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What was wrong with taking a bus to Jordan?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

perhaps do a google search as to why that's not feasible before throwing it out there.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

Lack of buses?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Lack of buses?

:no:

please take into consideration that this topic is a very sensitive subject within the mena forum. off the cuff remarks about it are not appreciated by mena members.

which may explain why i suddenly showed up here.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

They can't. In case you are actually interested in knowing why, the full story is here:

Nowhere to Flee

Palestinian Refugees of Iraq

Safe But Still Vulnerable

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
120 of these families have arrived in the U.S. so far - the latest 3 just this week. They are being resettled in a number of locations around the country, including California, Texas, Arizona, New York, Georgia, and Alaska.

Most of these refugees are families with young children, and they arrive here with very little besides their clothing. If anyone would like to help them in their resettlement here in the U.S., it's easy to do. Al-Awda's Refugee Support Committee has set up a "wish list" on amazon.com with basic household items that are urgently needed:

WISH LIST

I never knew this was out there and I really wish I had known before. I looked through the wish list and I see mostly 1 of 10 being donated or sometimes 6 or 20. What they are asking for are simply basic necessities and for God's sake they deserve them.

I think it would be great for all VJ members to step up here and contribute, not just MENA members. We're all dealing in some way with immigration here and the ####### it puts us through. Now imagine you're a refugee with young kids in a foreign land you have no control over. The majority of us rely on computers to get us through immigration. I know I would not have made it through this if I couldn't at least see my husband while we were waiting. These people don't even have that and are probably scared out of their minds. They've left the refugee camp for a better life, we have to help give that to them. It's only the right thing to do, no matter what side of the aisle you vote on.

Edited by New Beginnings

Timeline

one post removed that insulted a poster. please stay on the topic and don't throw gas on the fire with insults.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

I am quite aware of the history.

There was a similar issue in Germany with the children of Turkish Guest Workers.

The Germans eventually did the right thing, and that did not involves sending them to other countries.

Give them Iraqi paperwork, problem solved.

Timeline
I am quite aware of the history.

There was a similar issue in Germany with the children of Turkish Guest Workers.

The Germans eventually did the right thing, and that did not involves sending them to other countries.

Give them Iraqi paperwork, problem solved.

If you think the solution is as simple as that, perhaps you should contact the U.N. High Commission for Refugees or perhaps the U.S. State Department. They, along with many other international organizations and governmental agencies who have in-depth knowledge of this particular situation, have all agreed that it would be best to resettle these refugees in other countries. But perhaps they might be willing to reverse their decisions based on your input.

Meanwhile, this thread is about the efforts to help the families who have already been accepted by the United States for resettlement. Thanks to all who have recognized the urgent need and who have stepped forward to offer assistance and donations!

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.