SuperDuper!

Anybody else heard the rumor...?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't see how they would work the '3 years of marriage' vs '3 years of permanent residency if married to US citizen'. They would have to rewrite a lot of legislation and you would have people eligible for citizenship who didn't have permanent residency yet, or get permanent residency and immediately turn around and apply for citizenship. I just don't see it happening any time soon - especially with all of the clamour about preventing marriage fraud. They would have to remove the protection currently set in place to identify/prevent marriage fraud (ie conditional green cards, etc). I know that working through the green card process after arriving as a K-1, I wasn't able to file for citizenship until I had been married almost 5 years due to the processing delays all the way along the way. If I could have filed for citizenship after 3 years of marriage I would not have had to file to remove conditions on my green card - which took 12 months to process after the green card itself took 22 months to process - and the 2 year wait in between. Yep - a lot of laws would have to be rewritten to make that possible.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

"My spouse is deceased.

I am a child who entered as a conditional permanent resident and I am unable to be included in a joint petition to remove the conditional basis of are alien's permanent residence (Form1-751) filed by my parent(s).

I am a conditional resident spouse who entered a marriage in good faith, and during the marriage I was battered by or was the subject of extreme cruelty by my U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse or parent.

I entered into the marriage in good faith but the marriage was terminated through divorce/annulment.

My conditional residence is based on my marriage to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, but I am unable to file a joint petition and I request a waiver because: The termination of my status and removal from the United States would result in an extreme hardship."

From the I-751 just about cover every reason for a marriage to dissolve during the conditional period. Giving me the opinion the conditional residency period is a bad joke, an extra expense, and certainly was a very stressful time period due to the extreme delays in processing. Plus having to carry that one year extension paper along. Not exactly a small plastic card and easily lost or destroyed.

My wife could have slowly poisoned me, push me off a cliff and said it was an accident, just say our marriage didn't work out, or claimed I ignored her that is considered abuse, or claimed going back to her home country would be a hardship. Certainly couldn't argue the last reason, cost a small fortune to bring her here.

After that long year wondering if we could stay together during our AOS after sending tons of evidence, was a shock to be hit with the conditional residency. But this gave us exactly 21 months of freedom that we knew was secure. The only problem we had was trying to renew her foreign passport so she and I could visit her family. What in the hell do you want a passport from us for since you are living in the USA? Then the stress started all over again, checking the mail box every day for the ten year card. That lasted over 14 months, and had a hell of a time trying to get her drivers' license renewed, what in the hell is a one year extension?

Can anyone explain the logic behind the I-751? Hell, if I tapped my wife on her butt, could have claimed physical abuse, checked off that box on the I-751 and still stayed here. If that was her intention.

And then as the sponsoring USC, during the I-751 and N-400, I was treated by the USCIS as a complete outsider, hey, wait a minute, you are talking about MT family, and I am the one responsible for that I-864 and supporting them!

And all the evidence we submitted, not only had my wife's name on it, but my name as well, felt I should have a say to explain this evidence, I had no say at all.

In my opinion, really a very screwed up system and again, we have idiots running this country. I feel some intelligent changes are in order, if our people can elect government officials with brains. Go more by looks and personality, and may the best BSer win.

Timeline

You would also think, since the USCIS claims an applicant would be a better citizen if married to a USC, they would also want to meet that USC during the interview. But that is also a major problem, idiots running the USCIS do not think!

Can add another point to this, in dealing with ombudsman, my congressman, and my senator, they only wanted my wife's signature for release of information, even though all that "private" information had my name on it as well. I certainly questioned this, again, couldn't get a straight answer, it's just done that way.

Why is it done this way, are we all dumb stupid sheep? Don't we have the right to question our government?

Filed: Other Timeline

I am eligible to for expedited citizenship 4 months from now. Yet I still think it doesn't matter whether I can become a USC this year or 2 years from now. Everything up to the 10-year GC is often stressful, but as a LPR without restraints, life returns to normal. The naturalization is just the final perk, but in real life, it's really not a big issue anymore. Think about it: what disadvantages do you really have in your day-in, day-out life as a LPR versus a USC? None, would be my answer . . .

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline
I am eligible to for expedited citizenship 4 months from now. Yet I still think it doesn't matter whether I can become a USC this year or 2 years from now. Everything up to the 10-year GC is often stressful, but as a LPR without restraints, life returns to normal. The naturalization is just the final perk, but in real life, it's really not a big issue anymore. Think about it: what disadvantages do you really have in your day-in, day-out life as a LPR versus a USC? None, would be my answer . . .

Can say the same thing about a court ordered separation with your spouse or the final divorce. With certain freedoms given by the separation, not really free until you get that final divorce. Oh, and they even held me liable for my ex's debts during our separation, even though the court ordered separation said I was not liable. Had a another hidden state statue that covered that.

But if even with my wife's USC, still not free from the obligation to maintain her home country passport, just makes you wonder. Maybe it's easier to pay off two witnesses that will state in a court of law that your spouse was born here. Where you were born makes all the difference. Love it when illegals come here to have babies, they are automatically USC's.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Here we go..

I Don't Object to the permanent residency requirements, or the physical presence requirement, as that Rule is just pure commen sense for a servicemen of being outside the us for long periods of time....Ive no problem with that.

What Makes a Servicemen marriage requirement any different from anybody eles's....Is there marriage bullet proof or something?..Nope..

There Marriage is No Different from anybody else....Fact...

So why should we..people who's not in the service have to jump through hoops to prove there marriage after 3/5 yrs and somebody in the service can be married 12 mths maybe and show a marriage cert and that's it, there good to go....

So might aswell skip all the B/S Immigration Forms and just give servicmen spouse's a USC from the start huh?

Just for the Record...Nope im not anti servicemen....in fact iv'e got the upmost respect for them men/women on the frontline, at the same time i just like a little more fairness, that's all...

Hi Nigel, I'd also like to add that a service member stands a higher than normal chance of dying or becoming disabled than the non-service member, like us, and by speeding up citizenship for their spouses this alleviates a huge headache down the road if something unfortunate happens.

As a former service member I can see both sides to what you are saying and am not questioning your logic nor disagreeing, just trying to add another reason for the exemptions. As you say, "Why not give the spouses citizenship from the start?" (to paraphrase)....Of course then we'd probably have all kinds of trouble from the self-seeking individuals looking to take advantage of the system...

I-129F

03-01-06 Sent

03-03-06 NOA1

04-14-06 NOA2

04-18-06 NVC Received

04-20-06 NVC Left

04-25-06 Consulate Received

06-02-06 Interview Date

06-09-06 Visa Received

06-30-06 US Entry JFK

07-04-06 Married

We got married in Ukraine (Religious service on 27 June 2006 so her family/friends could attend, then a civil service on July 4….How patriotic!!!!!)

I-485

08-31-06 Date Filed :

09-07-06 NOA Date :

09-19-06 Transfered to CSC on

09-22-06 Recieved at CSC on

09-26-06 Bio Appt

11-01-06 E-mail stating RFE being sent

11-04-06 Received RFE via snail-mail

11-13-06 Sent RFE to CSC

11-16-06 CSC Received RFE (9)

11-27-06 E-mail stating AOS was approved on 11-24-06

11-29-06 Production Ordered

11-29-06 to Present - Never Recieved the darn card

I-751

10-01-08 Filed to VSC

10-03-08 NOA1

07-15-09 10 year "Green Card" arrived (actually got the card this time)

N-400

11-27-09 Filed to Lewisville, TX lockbox

12-04-09 Rejected because I'm an idiot and overlooked a signature block

12-05-09 Resubmitted with wife's signature

12-14-09 Accepted

01-14-10 Bio appt

02-04-10 NOA Interview appt scheduled for 03-09-10

03-09-10 Approved

03-10-10 Oath Ceremony....Hurray!!!

Hi Nigel, I'd also like to add that a service member stands a higher than normal chance of dying or becoming disabled than the non-service member, like us, and by speeding up citizenship for their spouses this alleviates a huge headache down the road if something unfortunate happens.

As a former service member I can see both sides to what you are saying and am not questioning your logic nor disagreeing, just trying to add another reason for the exemptions. As you say, "Why not give the spouses citizenship from the start?" (to paraphrase)....Of course then we'd probably have all kinds of trouble from the self-seeking individuals looking to take advantage of the system...

Hi,

Yep the other stuff i agree with, but people in the service should prove there 3 yrs just like anybody else....

It Just sort of opens the doors to say to men & women around the world....hay link up with somebody from the us service as the uscis will give you a much easy ride towards USC....

Again....I have'nt a problem with all the rest of the breaks you guys are given..and why not? you guys derserve it, as for what you give your country...

But you must agree being married 3 yr rule should be for all.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi,

Yep the other stuff i agree with, but people in the service should prove there 3 yrs just like anybody else....

It Just sort of opens the doors to say to men & women around the world....hay link up with somebody from the us service as the uscis will give you a much easy ride towards USC....

Again....I have'nt a problem with all the rest of the breaks you guys are given..and why not? you guys derserve it, as for what you give your country...

But you must agree being married 3 yr rule should be for all.....

Completely agree. I have seen some very unfortunate incidents with guys/gals in uniform meeting someone who ultimately breaks their heart just to become a USC. Of course there's always two sides to a story but, it happens quite frequently. 3 years should be the rule for all...

Edited by Cupidoll

I-129F

03-01-06 Sent

03-03-06 NOA1

04-14-06 NOA2

04-18-06 NVC Received

04-20-06 NVC Left

04-25-06 Consulate Received

06-02-06 Interview Date

06-09-06 Visa Received

06-30-06 US Entry JFK

07-04-06 Married

We got married in Ukraine (Religious service on 27 June 2006 so her family/friends could attend, then a civil service on July 4….How patriotic!!!!!)

I-485

08-31-06 Date Filed :

09-07-06 NOA Date :

09-19-06 Transfered to CSC on

09-22-06 Recieved at CSC on

09-26-06 Bio Appt

11-01-06 E-mail stating RFE being sent

11-04-06 Received RFE via snail-mail

11-13-06 Sent RFE to CSC

11-16-06 CSC Received RFE (9)

11-27-06 E-mail stating AOS was approved on 11-24-06

11-29-06 Production Ordered

11-29-06 to Present - Never Recieved the darn card

I-751

10-01-08 Filed to VSC

10-03-08 NOA1

07-15-09 10 year "Green Card" arrived (actually got the card this time)

N-400

11-27-09 Filed to Lewisville, TX lockbox

12-04-09 Rejected because I'm an idiot and overlooked a signature block

12-05-09 Resubmitted with wife's signature

12-14-09 Accepted

01-14-10 Bio appt

02-04-10 NOA Interview appt scheduled for 03-09-10

03-09-10 Approved

03-10-10 Oath Ceremony....Hurray!!!

Timeline
Completely agree. I have seen some very unfortunate incidents with guys/gals in uniform meeting someone who ultimately breaks their heart just to become a USC. Of course there's always two sides to a story but, it happens quite frequently. 3 years should be the rule for all...

Yeah, but if the USCIS finds fraud in the intention or the application, it's goodbye to that immigrant.

Yeah, but if the USCIS finds fraud in the intention or the application, it's goodbye to that immigrant.

Yep, but that be the same for anybody i guess....

I would like to see the divorce stats for people in the service, as being deployed abroad several months a yr "Must" put a lot of stress & presure on this married couple....proberly more so than any other USC...

Edited by nigel

There is more advantages of becoming a USC than Not....There is a Lot of jobs out there, where you have to be a USC..more than people think..

What about Travel...? you got this LPR straped around you, like a Tag from Prison....

Well if you want to be a LPR for the next 10/20 yrs....and it don't effect you..well good luck...

I would rather not have the USCIS watching and waiting, if i make a ####### up somewhere in my life....then deport my #### for something stubid 10/20 yrs down the line..

As if your a USC......None of that could happen......and that's the peice of mind & "FREEDOM" i Love..

Edited by nigel

I would think there isn't much of a difference especially if you have interest in working for the federal government and such. Also, if your "original" citizenship is one that isn't required to have visas in several countries, then by all means, it's okay to remain an LPR.

One of my reasons for considering naturalization in the future is ease and convenience in traveling. USC's have the freedom to travel to certain countries visa free =D

That being said, I'm DEFINITELY opting for dual citizenship for myself and our future children.

25 January 2010: Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, EAD and AP - sent via UPS overnight delivery to Chicago Lockbox

26 January 2010: Received by receptionist CHIBA at 8:30 AM/Received date on NOA

02 February 2010: Checked cashed/Notice date

05 February 2010: Received NOA's for I-130,I-485,I-131,I-130

13 February 2010: Received ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics.

17 February 2010: Date of RFE for Federal Tax 1040/Received Text & Email confirmation

19 February 2010: Received RFE in mail

22 February 2010: Mailed Response to RFE via USPS Express mail

24 February 2010: Package delivered and received at Lee's Summit office

26 February 2010: Biometrics DONE/RFE Received-case processing resumed

17 March 2010: Email approval notifications - EAD & AP.

22 March 2010: Received AP by mail. Received interview schedule notice for 22 April.

22 April 2010: Greencard Approved :)

Removal of Conditions

24 January 2012: Sent I-751 petition via USPS Overnight

25 January 2012: Delivered at CSC, Receipt Date NOA1

27 January 2012: Checked cashed

30 January 2012: Received NOA in mail.

06 February 2012: Received Biometrics notice (dated 03 Feb)

02 March 2012: Biometrics appointment.

Good Call....

But Remember once you Divorce the uscis for good as a new usc, then your married to the IRS for life...nomatter where you live, you must file taxes for the rest of your life..

Welcome to becoming a USC ...Don't Forget to pay your taxes to Uncle Scam.... :crying:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

anyone find hard data to validate the rumour ? :D

Happy Monday !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

anyone find hard data to validate the rumour ? :D

Happy Monday !

Don't waste your time on Rumours.... :whistle:

Im sure it be in the media today if there was any weight in such a thing...

IMHO....If they would change such law, i would think they would make it harder not easyer....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.