SuperDuper!

Anybody else heard the rumor...?

33 posts in this topic

The rumor That says the Naturalization process will soon be streamlined?: That US Citizenship can be obtained 3 years from the date of marriage to the US citizen?

Don't ask me a bunch of questions about it...I just heard something thru the grapevine of someone supposedly "in the know." Maybe it is nothing more than rumor. If the VJ hotshots here have not heard about it yet, then it just cannot be true.

:whistle:

Edited by Hopp

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt hear that yet. I knew that if someone marrys a service member they only have to wait 3 years instead of 5.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Didnt hear that yet. I knew that if someone marrys a service member they only have to wait 3 years instead of 5.

There is No Differance if you marry a "service member" or a "USC" Alien from mars....as long as you been Married to the "same" USC for 3 yrs that's all what Matters. :whistle:

And Nope.... I never heard such a thing and i Don't think i will neither....well not anytime soon.. :whistle:

I would say ..If anything they will change the 3 yr rule to 5 yr rule and maybe the 5yr rule to 7 yrs to become a USC..

Think about it...The Government will make more money by doing that way...

3 yr Rule...as it stands Today Feb 2010

Be Married to the same USC spouse for (3 yrs)

Been a P/R card holder for (3 yrs)

The rumor That says the Naturalization process will soon be streamlined?: That US Citizenship can be obtained 3 years from the date of marriage to the US citizen?

Don't ask me a bunch of questions about it...I just heard something thru the grapevine of someone supposedly "in the know." Maybe it is nothing more than rumor. If the VJ hotshots here have not heard about it yet, then it just cannot be true.

The thing is, those requirements are written into the INA (sections 316 and 319), not just some small regulation subject to the whim of anonymous regulators. It's literally an Act of Congress, and it will take another Act of Congress to change the requirements. The requirements for naturalization can't be changed by the USCIS. Both the Senate and House will have to muster the votes, and the Senate will have to avoid a fillibuster. Both houses have to reconcile and agree exactly on the terms of the change. And then the President must sign it (or veto it and have his veto overridden).

As far as I know, it's not even in a Bill that's been introduced yet, but after it's introduced, it's got to go through all of the following process before it actually would change the requirements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ

I'm not saying it's impossible. Congress frequently does pass laws. I can't predict what laws Congress will pass next. But if it happens, we'll hear about it as the proposed change goes through debate in committees. And my guess is that immigration is such a hot topic that any significant change will be part of a broader immigration reform. If that happens, it'll probably get almost as much press coverage as health care reform got, and it will be about as complex a process as it goes from suggestion into law (health care reform still hasn't passed both houses).

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

:whistle:

it's in the "welcome to the US" giude page 92 . so far no changes (i hope no changes til I'm eligible to apply)

if you came as a K1/CR, and married for 3 yrs to the same person + fulfilled the residency/physical presence requirement, you can already apply :)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

There is No Differance if you marry a "service member" or a "USC" Alien from mars....as long as you been Married to the "same" USC for 3 yrs that's all what Matters. :whistle:

But there ARE special provisions for expedited citizenship of some spouses and children of service members. See INA 319(b). If married to a service member deployed abroad, there is no continuous residence or physical presence requirement. Not even three years. Not even three days.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000082ca60aRCRD

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

One change we could all expect is yet another increase in form fee cost. Was really a drastic change in 2008 where congress approved a 100% increase or more depending on the form with a promised decrease in about 10% of the then current processing times by Emilio. But that price increase did result in a huge surge of N-400 applicants because the that fee was just about doubled.

The I-485 had the greatest increase to $1,100.00. Sorry, but just find it difficult to think optimistically when dealing with the USCIS.

Filed: Other Timeline
One change we could all expect is yet another increase in form fee cost. Was really a drastic change in 2008 where congress approved a 100% increase or more depending on the form with a promised decrease in about 10% of the then current processing times by Emilio. But that price increase did result in a huge surge of N-400 applicants because the that fee was just about doubled.

The I-485 had the greatest increase to $1,100.00. Sorry, but just find it difficult to think optimistically when dealing with the USCIS.

NickD-I agree.....The fees will keep on increasing...That is one USCIS guarantee! :thumbs:

And there is no "reasonable" justification for this increase either.... :angry:

200%+ increase...does not correlate with the standard of living increase..

Oh yeah..and the USCIS continues to have poor service quality...

For example...for my 10yr green card...I only used 5 months for it...and waited 10 months for it....Rip-off...$575!

And is my citizenship certificate worth $675...Rip-off! It looks so "amateurish" and I can't even travel with that piece of paper....

However....$Priceless$...To get rid of the USCIS asap! (best to 'lock in' the rates now...then to pay more later...) :star:

Lol..If they were any other business..They would be out-of-business by now!

I want my money back! (lol..unlikely that is going to happen though).... :crying:

And to the OP-The rules remain the same...3 yrs marriage + 3 yrs permanent resident + 3 yrs physical residency + (at least) 3yr USC spouse is a US Citizen....=US citizenship....anything less than that....unacceptable to the USCIS....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hopp - eh - if it's coming in as a rumour - maybe the magic boys and girls over at ilw.com will write up something about it, soonish ?

If it 'got in' to the Immigration Reform Bill, then maybe thats where the rumours are coming from? (thats a swag, btw).

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My first shock after months of what we went through was that conditional residency card. Did learn when caps on conventional immigration were put into effect in 1986, that 50K with a lottery, only way to come here was marriage. Fraud cases were claimed to be high, but two things were done, first, a much longer AOS processing time with far greater background checks, then the conditional card came in later. From USCIS statistics I could learn, only 140K I-751 applications were processed per year since then. Nothing even close to the 2 million applicants the INS claimed they received the first year after the lottery started. That, and a 250K buck fine and 5 years in prison for the sponsoring USC, plus the newly introduced I-864 where that citizen would be liable for up to ten years.

In our defense, with full knowledge of the penalties involved for fraud, we did apply for residence of our spouses or spoused to be. We did this because we knew we were in for a long term relationship with a person we would have never met anywhere else. But nevertheless, we were considered guilty of fraud, even after paying high fees for not only the AOS, but for the ROCs', and for USC for our beloved spouses, that is, until we proved ourselves innocent.

So why do USC applicants have to study the civics test when the USCIS doesn't even follow the laws of our US Constitution? So we are aware they are not following the laws?

But there ARE special provisions for expedited citizenship of some spouses and children of service members. See INA 319(b). If married to a service member deployed abroad, there is no continuous residence or physical presence requirement. Not even three years. Not even three days.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000082ca60aRCRD

Yep they get given breaks on the continuous residence / physical presence requirement & also the Fee..

But they would still have to be married to a usc the same as anybody else.......Dam what more breaks they want to give service people?

Not saying them people don't deserve breaks, but come on....they might as well give them Married spouses a UCS from the start and be done with it...

If they give them anymore breaks...

Yep they get given breaks on the continuous residence / physical presence requirement & also the Fee..

But they would still have to be married to a usc the same as anybody else.......Dam what more breaks they want to give service people?

Not saying them people don't deserve breaks, but come on....they might as well give them Married spouses a UCS from the start and be done with it...

As long as they have a green card (permanent residence) and their spouse is deploying. working for gov't overseas, there is no requirement to be married for 3 + years, no requirement for residency in the States or district office.

Why would you object to this when it's perfectly legal in the law? Check out section 319(b) of the INA.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

As long as they have a green card (permanent residence) and their spouse is deploying. working for gov't overseas, there is no requirement to be married for 3 + years, no requirement for residency in the States or district office.

Why would you object to this when it's perfectly legal in the law? Check out section 319(b) of the INA.

Here we go..

I Don't Object to the permanent residency requirements, or the physical presence requirement, as that Rule is just pure commen sense for a servicemen of being outside the us for long periods of time....Ive no problem with that.

What Makes a Servicemen marriage requirement any different from anybody eles's....Is there marriage bullet proof or something?..Nope..

There Marriage is No Different from anybody else....Fact...

So why should we..people who's not in the service have to jump through hoops to prove there marriage after 3/5 yrs and somebody in the service can be married 12 mths maybe and show a marriage cert and that's it, there good to go....

So might aswell skip all the B/S Immigration Forms and just give servicmen spouse's a USC from the start huh?

Just for the Record...Nope im not anti servicemen....in fact iv'e got the upmost respect for them men/women on the frontline, at the same time i just like a little more fairness, that's all...

Where is that (Fee break)? We pay just the same as everyone else. If you have ever been deployed then you would understand why the we get the break. The only "break" I got was expedited processing at the USCIS...that's it. There is a reason why a spouse of a military member is ENTITLED to HALF the retirement of the military member if they have been married for at least 10 years and get a divorce. they are in the military too and go through sacrifices just like the military member does...they just dont put their life on the line. The no fee naturalization is for the military member....yep there are people that are LPR in the military. I dont feel that is too much to ask for the government to pay for someone's naturalization if they are volunteering for service.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.