Duders

US Consulates in Canada

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hear from people here that there are only two US consulates in Canada, in Vancouver and Montreal, but on the official website it says there's one in Calgary? So I was just wondering about that, whether the website is just out-dated or if the US consulates in Vancouver and Montreal are the only ones that interview K-1 applicants.

Thank you for any replies!

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are US consulates in virtually every major Canadian city, and a US Embassy in Ottawa. All of them provide emergency services to American citizens in Canada. All of them serve as local offices of the US Department of State, and as liaisons for the US Government with the local provincial governments, local media, etc. For example if the US government wishes to discuss something with the Premier of Manitoba, the meeting will probably end up being between the Premier and the head of the Winnipeg US consulate.

But only the Vancouver and Montreal consulates have "Visa Sections" - departments that issue visas, and only the Montreal visa section issues IR-1 and CR-1 visas. That means that if you need a visa, you have to travel to the consulate whose visa section issues it.

Make sense?

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

It makes perfect sense.

I was looking through the official site and it didn't say that only two of the US consulates deal with visas, so I was just a little confused.

Thanks for your replies!

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
It makes perfect sense.

I was looking through the official site and it didn't say that only two of the US consulates deal with visas, so I was just a little confused.

Thanks for your replies!

Correction. Only two consulates deal with family based visas and all immigrant visas go through Montreal. Tourist and other non-family non-immigrant visas are issued at other US Consulate in Canada.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
There are US consulates in virtually every major Canadian city, and a US Embassy in Ottawa. All of them provide emergency services to American citizens in Canada. All of them serve as local offices of the US Department of State, and as liaisons for the US Government with the local provincial governments, local media, etc. For example if the US government wishes to discuss something with the Premier of Manitoba, the meeting will probably end up being between the Premier and the head of the Winnipeg US consulate.

But only the Vancouver and Montreal consulates have "Visa Sections" - departments that issue visas, and only the Montreal visa section issues IR-1 and CR-1 visas. That means that if you need a visa, you have to travel to the consulate whose visa section issues it.

Make sense?

thank you for being more specific, I should have written more, lol!

th_seattlegregandmecute.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It makes perfect sense.

Thanks for your replies!

Where you interview will depend on where you live in Canada, for K visas:

Manitoba and West: Vancouver

Ontario and East: Montreal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.