MtlMama

Waiting NINE WEEKS now (DCF Montreal, requested further proof domicile)

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wanted to say/vent that we have now been waiting over NINE weeks for visa approval/response.

We also emailed them over a week and a half ago requesting news and NO RESPONSE (they say they will reply to you WITHIN two weeks).

<BIG SIGH> I actually feel like this whole process has affected my mental and physical health, no kidding. What a nightmare.

K

DCF Timeline (approximate):

submitted I-130 May 2009

received approval June 2009

submitted DS-230 and checklist July 2009

interview Nov 4, 2009 (IR-1, 221g refusal, domicile)

submitted additional domicile proof December 15, 2009

Received IR-1 Visa Approval: February 26, 2010

Sidelined: emergency surgery!

Anticipated POE date: May 19, 2010

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I would just keep emailing them every few days! Ensure u have ur case # in the subject line. As well the USA citizen could contact his congress person. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I would just keep emailing them every few days! Ensure u have ur case # in the subject line. As well the USA citizen could contact his congress person. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

I was holding off on the senator/congress person thing, in case it gets dire. The auto-response email says NOT to send multiple emails as it will further delay the process. ??

submitted I-130 May 2009

Timeline

There was another that did contact their congress person, and that still took some time to get a response

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
There was another that did contact their congress person, and that still took some time to get a response

Yes, that was jonesg111, his thread on it is here (they are still waiting):

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=239053&hl=

If it were me, I would have already contacted my Senator. What more can they ask for now? As Flames said, the squeaky wheel etc. At least if Montreal comes back asking you for more vague information your senator's office will already be familiar with what is going on.

Good luck

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Yes, that was jonesg111, his thread on it is here (they are still waiting):

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=239053&hl=

If it were me, I would have already contacted my Senator. What more can they ask for now? As Flames said, the squeaky wheel etc. At least if Montreal comes back asking you for more vague information your senator's office will already be familiar with what is going on.

Good luck

Wasn't there a poster in your thread re: domicile that waited 13 WEEKS? They got the visa approval, finally. My husband (applicant) is the one holding off on further action. He's worried that they will be influenced (negatively) by our "hounding them" and refuse us again.

I think we're going to need all the luck we can muster. In the meantime, I have surrendered my CDN driver's license (to get my US license), accepted a US job offer, gave notice re: our apartment lease and notice at work, have daycare waiting, doctor waiting, etc. and STILL nothing. My husband keeps waiting for a request to travel for business (disastrous, as his passport is at the consulate). Things are getting mighty uncomfortable around here...

Edited by MtlMama

submitted I-130 May 2009

Timeline
Wasn't there a poster in your thread re: domicile that waited 13 WEEKS? They got the visa approval, finally. My husband (applicant) is the one holding off on further action. He's worried that they will be influenced (negatively) by our "hounding them" and refuse us again.

I think we're going to need all the luck we can muster. In the meantime, I have surrendered my CDN driver's license, accepted a US job offer, gave notice re: our apartment lease and notice at work, and STILL nothing. My husband keeps waiting for a request to travel for business (disastrous, as his passport is at the consulate). Things are getting mighty uncomfortable around here...

Well that should make them happy then. Short of actually separating your family, i'm sure the fact that you have given up your accomodation and quit your job will work in your favour.

I know that sounds a bit cynical (a bit??) but I mean really. It is within their guidelines to treat these cases with common sense and yet they choose not to. I think that speaks volumes about the general attitude that some of the COs in Montreal have.

All that aside, one would hope that given the demands they put on people at the very LEAST they could do the right thing and review the additional information sent in a timely manner instead of making people wait MONTHS.

It's completely unacceptable and even if you decide not to contact your senator before approval I would encourage you to contact them afterwards to lodge a complaint because until people start to make a ruckus the Montreal consulate will continue to treat Canadians like....second rate persons.

/rant

Timeline
Well that should make them happy then. Short of actually separating your family, i'm sure the fact that you have given up your accomodation and quit your job will work in your favour.

I know that sounds a bit cynical (a bit??) but I mean really. It is within their guidelines to treat these cases with common sense and yet they choose not to. I think that speaks volumes about the general attitude that some of the COs in Montreal have.

All that aside, one would hope that given the demands they put on people at the very LEAST they could do the right thing and review the additional information sent in a timely manner instead of making people wait MONTHS.

It's completely unacceptable and even if you decide not to contact your senator before approval I would encourage you to contact them afterwards to lodge a complaint because until people start to make a ruckus the Montreal consulate will continue to treat Canadians like....second rate persons.

/rant

Just a note (as others are using this a resource), notices given were:

-not renewing our lease that expires in June. The letter stated that we are moving upon husband's visa approval. I had my landlord sign it. We couldn't break the lease, as it's our responsibility. We'll just have to either find someone to transfer the lease to or pay for the place until it's filled or the lease expires.

-notified work that I was looking for employment and plan to move upon husband's visa approval. A letter from my employer stated that. I subsequently interviewed and received a job offer.

Still, I think we provided ample proof. I thought the hold-up was due to volume/staff shortage but now I am starting to wonder if they are just shelving the paperwork and using up the time we are allowed to provide proof. It seems like a lot of effort to delay a USC's return with family. Time that could be spent going after those who enter illegally and clearly violate immigration law.

K

Edited by MtlMama

submitted I-130 May 2009

Filed: Timeline
Just wanted to say/vent that we have now been waiting over NINE weeks for visa approval/response.

We also emailed them over a week and a half ago requesting news and NO RESPONSE (they say they will reply to you WITHIN two weeks).

<BIG SIGH> I actually feel like this whole process has affected my mental and physical health, no kidding. What a nightmare.

K

Hello Mamma,

We also had our interview Nov4 and were declined because my wife's 2008 Tax return was not provided nor requested, faxed it next day. We contacted the Senators office end of December and 1 day later the Montreal Consulate called to request my passport. They have had it since Jan. 4, 2010. We again contacted the Senators office, sent 2 emails to the Consulate with no response. It has been 6 weeks Monday waiting for Passport to arrive with Visa. Our I-130 application was made in November 2007. We had planned a nice Valentine's vacation getaway however with no Passport we could not go. I also need to travel overseas on business.

We understand how you feel.

Timeline

/rant

How about the way they are treating their own USCs? <sigh> My family goes directly back to 17th century, colonial Maryland and I'm being treated worse than a boat refugee from Cuba!!

Edited by MtlMama

submitted I-130 May 2009

Timeline
How about the way they are treating their own USCs? <sigh> My family goes directly back to 17th century, colonial Maryland and I'm being treated worse than a boat refugee from Cuba!!

Well yes that too of course :)

I mean really U.S. senators don't really care about your spouse and won't until they can vote :hehe:

I'd HIGHLY recommend contacting the Senator as soon as possible. When my wife's case was originally denied we actually got them involved a week after the documents were submitted as you are out of the turn times for review. I was very surprised at the dilligence that our Senator's (Senator Levin) office had with our case. Even with the Consul fighting every step of the way it took about 2 1/2 - 3 months for our stuff to get processed and finally approved. Good luck to you guys, I know how insanely frustrating this is!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline
I'd HIGHLY recommend contacting the Senator as soon as possible. When my wife's case was originally denied we actually got them involved a week after the documents were submitted as you are out of the turn times for review. I was very surprised at the dilligence that our Senator's (Senator Levin) office had with our case. Even with the Consul fighting every step of the way it took about 2 1/2 - 3 months for our stuff to get processed and finally approved. Good luck to you guys, I know how insanely frustrating this is!

"turn times for review"?

K

submitted I-130 May 2009

"turn times for review"?

K

The Senator's office states first and foremost, at least ours did, that your case must be outside of the review times posted on the USCIS website in order for them to get involved. I'm sure quite a few people start emailing or contacting them a week after their docs were sent in to start the process so that's part of the deal in getting them involved. If you've already sent the documentation in so long ago I'd recommend at least contacting the office to see. They'll require you fill out a form to release your info which takes a few days for them to review so the sooner the better :) Good luck!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline

PLUS--Senators love easy cases!! Easy cases = votes in their minds!! How hard is it for a Senators office to contact Mtl and say whats up??? Not very hard at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.