cherylc522

Tax help!!!

4 posts in this topic

I moved to the US Feb 7th 2009 so i only worked jan in canada, I also received 1 payment from EI which wasn't much but i believe i have to claim it. I have never done my own taxes but I have to this year and i have no idea what forms i should be using. i know i have to mail it in, i thought this would be as easy as just doing it online but i see i cant now. I need help finding what forms i need as well as im confused, do i need to claim my husband? we got married in feb so do i have to claim his income from down here and my income from down here? also, im considered a non-resident now right?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not an expert on taxes, but since I just did mine, I'll try :)

Yes, you need to file your Canadian taxes, and yes you will have to claim your husband. Canadian tax forms aren't all that scary. There will be a place on your forms to enter his income. If I remember correctly, it is only to see if you qualify as a low-income family (and thus qualify for tax breaks), so you should include his income. If taxes have been filed in your name before, even if you didn't do them yourself, then you should be able to complete them online. Get your information from whoever did them before to dig up the little paper that tells you how to log in. If you can't find it or have never filed taxes, then you'll probably want to order or print tax forms online at a government site (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1gnrl/llyrs-eng.html) or get a family member to pick some up at their local post office and send them to you - you'll have to send them in in that case.

Since you're pretty young, I'm going to assume your taxes won't be too complicated. You'll need to do the tax form, which is the T1, it's corresponding provincial sheet, and the Schedule 1. If you were a student in 2009, you'll also want to do the Schedule 11. Just follow the instructions, and don't worry or stress.

If you were asking about US taxes, then sorry about that - my mistake. Those should be even easier though since you will get to file a joint return with your spouse. Hope I helped!

thank you for that quick reply, yes i was asking about canadian ones, my mom always did them online for me, but when i signed in it said i didn't qualify to do them online, i didn't understand why, maybe i put the wrong info or something, so i CAN do them online then, i just need to get my logging somehow, i was confused reading all the instructions about the parts where it says about being a non resident and needing other forms

Filed: Timeline

UFILE.CA i think is the site ... if you make under a certain amount it will let you print out your tax return for free .. worked great for me.

I talked to the CRA before i did mine and asked about weather i should put non resident or what on there he told me "we cannot tell you that you have to determine it for yourself" so i put non-resident ..

for your american spouse .. i was told yes you need to add that on there ..but it won't affect your return .. yes you will have to do your US income here too .. on Ufile there is a section at the end that will ask for it.

You cannot Efile from the USA so when you log in make sure you click or check the option you will be mailing it in ...

i'd suggest checking out that site ... if you make over the free limit it will cost you 15 bucks i think .. to print it out but will be all there you just need to sign one page ..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.