Pman's Wife

Lagos Delay: 221(g)

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So, my husband had his interview last week. He received a 221(g) for insufficient documentation. Sorry about the late post, but it was devastating for us. I was really hoping to have him home by my birthday. We worked so hard at putting the files together at each step. We were really expecting the best. The delay really shook us up. We're coming around and getting ready for the next interview--no date yet. In case you are interested in the details, they are as follows:

He interviewed with an Asian lady CO. He said nobody that went to her window was approved. Of the 50 or so candidates for visa, maybe 10 or so got through, but at other windows.. How I wish we were in that number! :(

She asked him some appropriate questions about me like:

1. Where did your wife go to school?

2. What did she study?

3. Where does she work?

4. What does she do at her job?

5. Why was one of my trips to visit him so short? (He correctly cited work.)

6. Why does he love me?

Then things got tough:

She started asking him for the evidence he brought with him (chat logs, emails, phone records, etc.) and then she complained about each item he submitted. For instance, she asked for emails and then complained that there were gaps in our communicaiton because we never spoke of my travels yet I traveled. (She was really reaching on that one.) Then she remarked that he was saying he loved me and wanted to marry me before I said it. He told her the man usually proposes these things and the woman will comply if she's open to it.

In another instance, when we got our case number from the NVC, I sent it to him via SMS. It showed up in our chat logs. She asked how I could have gotten that information so early. (What the??? Don't they know we get the case numbers when they're assigned???)

Then, she asked him some inappropriate questions like, what if I am unable to have kids. He told her that he loves me with or without, but I think he may have shown some emotion on that one because he sounded shaken when he shared this with me.

She then asked for the names and contact information of people living within a certain distance from him and allowed him an opportunity to compile them. I guess home visits or phone calls will be forthcoming.

He left the interview with unsubmitted evidence. I have been picking up the pieces as best I can (albeit remotely) and reaching out to the Lagos consulate via phone and email ever since. :angry:

I am glad for the 2nd interview opportunity, but we are worn out! I have second guessed every detail even wondering if I should get my doctor to attest to my fertility. I'm open to suggestions for preparing for the next encounter. I REALLY want to be there! I hope this helps someone in their preparation. I don't think you can have too much information. You have to be very fluid and familiar with your significant other and ready to defend your relationship because everything is subject to strict scutiny. My husband was ready for the questions, but not for the brusque manner in which they were asked. I might have quizzed him too sweetly.

*I'll try to be more timely with my post updates. Thanks to everyone who inquired via PM. VJers rock!

The Wife :blush:

NVC:

2009-09-11 - NVC received.

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

2009-12-17 - Waiting for an appointment assignment...

2009-12-29 - Interview assigned: February 11, 2010!

2010-01-06 - Case forwarded to consulate.

Consulate:

2010-01-12 - Medical exam part 1 of 2 complete.

2010-01-26 - Medical exam part 2 of 2 complete. Ouchie!

2010-02-11 - Interview results: Administrative Processing 221(g) :-(

2010-04-27 - 2nd interview results: Approved :-)

2010-05-04 - Visa in hand!

2010-05-08 - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Pman's wife,

So you had the infamous Asian CO? She is so popular on this website (not in a good way). I think that she has her days because when my fiancee went for his second interview, she was pretty much ok (I guess because she knew that we got our Senator involved). Girl now Im scared. Well I hope that shes satisfied with the additional documents that she requested from me and my fiancee. Im really sorry that this is happening. I think that being delayed is the worst thing that can happen to anyone. Its very unfortunate. Im on this website every blessed day to maintain my sanity. I pray that you and your husband have a speedy AP. Take care.

Nwanyioma

AOS Timeline
7-23-2010 AOS package mailed priority via USPS to Chicago Lockbox (expected delivery date 7-26-2010)
7-27-2010 AOS package delivered
8-3-2010 NOA 1 AOS/EAD/AP (received hard copy NOA 1's in mailbox 8-7-2010)
8-6-2010 AOS/EAD/AP Touched
8-9-2010 AOS/EAD/AP Touched
9-15-2010 Biometrics walk-in at Alexandria,VA ASC(original appointment date 10-5-2010)
9-15-2010 AOS/EAD Touched
9-16-2010 AOS/EAD Touched
9-22-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-22-2010 EAD card production ordered. Approved!!!!!
9-23-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-30-2010 EAD received in mail
10-4-2010 Received interview letter in the mail
11-9-2010 AOS interview 11:00am in Baltimore, Maryland
11-9-2010 Greencard approved!!

Im sorry for u guys, i feel ur pain and frustrations, but keep fighting all will be well. Be blessed

https://youtu.be/rHQuMoJ3Xrk

Lifting Conditions

Date Filed : 2018-09-12
NOA Date : 2018-09-18

Timeline

Thanks MOMOV31! I can feel myself getting weaker each day. The 221(g) is like an unduly hard punishment. It has been 2 business days and it feels like 2 months. I am just sick with it. All I can do is fight it; take whatever actions are available to me. I am mounting my offense now. Pman feels powerless in this all and is resolved to wait. It is devastating.

I see you are making the trip to Nigeria. Be blessed in your travels. Be sure to visit the consulate and make an inquiry. Take lots of pictures and save/make copies of your travel documents.

Im sorry for u guys, i feel ur pain and frustrations, but keep fighting all will be well. Be blessed

NVC:

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

Timeline

Hi Nwanyioma,

I checked in with both my senators today. They seem cocked and ready to go. My congressman's office was surpised to hear from me so soon and suggested I give the embassy at least 30 days to work. I know it's only been 2 business days :angry:

I also checked with DOS and got an earful about the Lagos consulate and their propensity to give out the 221(g) and then neglect to update or finish the cases in a timely manner :angry: . I asked why nobody is reigning them in on this and was told that it is left with the consular officers. I also got a reply to one of my emails saying "Due to the huge volume of cases here in Nigeria, cases on review take about six to twelve months, as soon as this is completed we will contact him."

I was so expecting to have his travel itinerary by now...

Hello Pman's wife,

So you had the infamous Asian CO? She is so popular on this website (not in a good way). I think that she has her days because when my fiancee went for his second interview, she was pretty much ok (I guess because she knew that we got our Senator involved). Girl now Im scared. Well I hope that shes satisfied with the additional documents that she requested from me and my fiancee. Im really sorry that this is happening. I think that being delayed is the worst thing that can happen to anyone. Its very unfortunate. Im on this website every blessed day to maintain my sanity. I pray that you and your husband have a speedy AP. Take care.

Nwanyioma

NVC:

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

Timeline
So, my husband had his interview last week. He received a 221(g) for insufficient documentation. Sorry about the late post, but it was devastating for us. I was really hoping to have him home by my birthday. We worked so hard at putting the files together at each step. We were really expecting the best. The delay really shook us up. We're coming around and getting ready for the next interview--no date yet. In case you are interested in the details, they are as follows:

He interviewed with an Asian lady CO. He said nobody that went to her window was approved. Of the 50 or so candidates for visa, maybe 10 or so got through, but at other windows.. How I wish we were in that number! :(

2. What did she study?

3. Where does she work?

6. Why does he love me?

Then things got tough:

She started asking him for the evidence he brought with him (chat logs, emails, phone records, etc.) and then she complained about each item he submitted. For instance, she asked for emails and then complained that there were gaps in our communicaiton because we never spoke of my travels yet I traveled. (She was really reaching on that one.) Then she remarked that he was saying he loved me and wanted to marry me before I said it. He told her the man usually proposes these things and the woman will comply if she's open to it.

In another instance, when we got our case number from the NVC, I sent it to him via SMS. It showed up in our chat logs. She asked how I could have gotten that information so early. (What the??? Don't they know we get the case numbers when they're assigned???)

Then, she asked him some inappropriate questions like, what if I am unable to have kids. He told her that he loves me with or without, but I think he may have shown some emotion on that one because he sounded shaken when he shared this with me.

She then asked for the names and contact information of people living within a certain distance from him and allowed him an opportunity to compile them. I guess home visits or phone calls will be forthcoming.

He left the interview with unsubmitted evidence. I have been picking up the pieces as best I can (albeit remotely) and reaching out to the Lagos consulate via phone and email ever since. :angry:

I am glad for the 2nd interview opportunity, but we are worn out! I have second guessed every detail even wondering if I should get my doctor to attest to my fertility. I'm open to suggestions for preparing for the next encounter. I REALLY want to be there! I hope this helps someone in their preparation. I don't think you can have too much information. You have to be very fluid and familiar with your significant other and ready to defend your relationship because everything is subject to strict scutiny. My husband was ready for the questions, but not for the brusque manner in which they were asked. I might have quizzed him too sweetly.

*I'll try to be more timely with my post updates. Thanks to everyone who inquired via PM. VJers rock!

Timeline

2. What did she study?

3. Where does she work?

6. Why does he love me?

Then things got tough:

the wife,sorry about the outcome but i suggest that yu may get the report from yur doctor and yu may as well travel to lagos to have another test and add it to the one from u.s,

make out time to take pixtures more and yur arrival stamp also.

GOD will see yu guys through

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Pman's wife,

My dear do not give up or be depressed. Really thank God for Pman's health and life and also yours. Lets pray together for God to give you the patience to deal with this difficult ordeal. Prayer changes things and God knows best and why certain things happen in our lives.

I have come to realise that. When my petition got denied in 2008 at the USCIS stage, girl i was devastated and did not take it light but i told myself at the time after i had prayed everyday about it for months i came to realise it was all good it happened that way due to some personal reasons. God's time is always the best and we will understand it when it comes. You are my VJ sister and friend trust me i am not saying that because i have my visa approved. I have been a denial stage before, that rejection was not cool.

Yours is not denied thank the lord its just a delay. I will say a prayer for you for strenght and patience.

PLEASE LETS PUT OUR TRUST IN GOD. HE WILL ALWAYS SUSTAIN US. MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF HEALTH, LIFE, PATIENCE AND STRENGTH.

Luv Effieb

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Hi Pman's wife,

My dear do not give up or be depressed. Really thank God for Pman's health and life and also yours. Lets pray together for God to give you the patience to deal with this difficult ordeal. Prayer changes things and God knows best and why certain things happen in our lives.

I have come to realise that. When my petition got denied in 2008 at the USCIS stage, girl i was devastated and did not take it light but i told myself at the time after i had prayed everyday about it for months i came to realise it was all good it happened that way due to some personal reasons. God's time is always the best and we will understand it when it comes. You are my VJ sister and friend trust me i am not saying that because i have my visa approved. I have been a denial stage before, that rejection was not cool.

Yours is not denied thank the lord its just a delay. I will say a prayer for you for strenght and patience.

PLEASE LETS PUT OUR TRUST IN GOD. HE WILL ALWAYS SUSTAIN US. MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF HEALTH, LIFE, PATIENCE AND STRENGTH.

Luv Effieb

Amen..

Timeline

Thank you Effieb!

You always come through with the encouragement! I really gave it my all. Now it is time to lean on a higher source for assistance. I feel like I and my relationship are under siege and on hold. Each day feels like a month.

I am believing for GUIDANCE and FAVOR, always with thankfulness. Honestly, it is getting hard to find the words though. Thanks for standing in the gap with me.

Maybe I need a lawyer after all :blush:

I am brainstorming away here, knocking on any door I can find...

Hi Pman's wife,

Luv Effieb

NVC:

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

Timeline

Hi Damilola!

I was brainstorming when I came up with that one. I am trying to be open, but medicals are not on the top of my list of evidence types. I have never heard of anyone being required to submit such a thing before. I intend to stick with the conventional forms of evidence, but whatever it takes, right?

Thanks for the blessings! May God be with you too!

the wife,sorry about the outcome but i suggest that yu may get the report from yur doctor and yu may as well travel to lagos to have another test and add it to the one from u.s,

make out time to take pixtures more and yur arrival stamp also.

GOD will see yu guys through

NVC:

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

Timeline
Hi Nwanyioma,

I checked in with both my senators today. They seem cocked and ready to go. My congressman's office was surpised to hear from me so soon and suggested I give the embassy at least 30 days to work. I know it's only been 2 business days :angry:

I also checked with DOS and got an earful about the Lagos consulate and their propensity to give out the 221(g) and then neglect to update or finish the cases in a timely manner :angry: . I asked why nobody is reigning them in on this and was told that it is left with the consular officers. I also got a reply to one of my emails saying "Due to the huge volume of cases here in Nigeria, cases on review take about six to twelve months, as soon as this is completed we will contact him."

I was so expecting to have his travel itinerary by now...

Hey Pmans wife,

I told momov31 and Im going to tell you that you two should move to Maryland. Im sorry but your senators suck LOL. My senator Benjamin Cardin was on top of my case. Fiancee denied December 30, 2009, called my senator that same day, got a reply from my senator December 31, and days later got a call from Lagos consulate for my fiancee return for a second interview. I share your frustration girl. Its not easy. Dont give up and think positive thoughts. Take care

Nwanyioma

AOS Timeline
7-23-2010 AOS package mailed priority via USPS to Chicago Lockbox (expected delivery date 7-26-2010)
9-15-2010 Biometrics walk-in at Alexandria,VA ASC(original appointment date 10-5-2010)
9-22-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-23-2010 EAD/AP Touched

Timeline

Girl, it's my congressman that sucks! It felt like I was leading the conversation with the aid. She pretty much refused to take action for 30 days... 30 days!!!! Wow! Maybe I'll just call your senator :lol: J/K. I decided to put my three representatives in play one per week until I have them all involved. Maybe together they can mount as strong a case as Cardin. Then I'll maybe put them in touch with each other so they can exchange notes... Alas, I think I need an attorney too. The logistics are killing me. I am bouncing off the WALLS! It's only been 3 business days, but it feels like 3 weeks.

I'll tell you who the real sucker is: that doggone Asian lady making light of our relationship. She is wasting our time. All her cases need to be reviewed IMO :ranting:

Pman said the other COs seemed reasonable, but this one has 'something to prove.' I read they're rude like that to applicants in the Chinese consulates too. It seems so unneccessary and tacky... Just gimme a 'yes' or 'no', you know what I mean? No need to try to hurt people's feelings with it. That's what really got me riled up. I can't stand it when people abuse their little authority. :angry:

Hey Pmans wife,

I told momov31 and Im going to tell you that you two should move to Maryland. Im sorry but your senators suck LOL. My senator Benjamin Cardin was on top of my case. Fiancee denied December 30, 2009, called my senator that same day, got a reply from my senator December 31, and days later got a call from Lagos consulate for my fiancee return for a second interview. I share your frustration girl. Its not easy. Dont give up and think positive thoughts. Take care

Nwanyioma

NVC:

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

Timeline
Girl, it's my congressman that sucks! It felt like I was leading the conversation with the aid. She pretty much refused to take action for 30 days... 30 days!!!! Wow! Maybe I'll just call your senator :lol: J/K. I decided to put my three representatives in play one per week until I have them all involved. Maybe together they can mount as strong a case as Cardin. Then I'll maybe put them in touch with each other so they can exchange notes... Alas, I think I need an attorney too. The logistics are killing me. I am bouncing off the WALLS! It's only been 3 business days, but it feels like 3 weeks.

I'll tell you who the real sucker is: that doggone Asian lady making light of our relationship. She is wasting our time. All her cases need to be reviewed IMO :ranting:

Pman said the other COs seemed reasonable, but this one has 'something to prove.' I read they're rude like that to applicants in the Chinese consulates too. It seems so unneccessary and tacky... Just gimme a 'yes' or 'no', you know what I mean? No need to try to hurt people's feelings with it. That's what really got me riled up. I can't stand it when people abuse their little authority. :angry:

Pman's wife,

Girl I dont know whats going on in Georgia but I say that you relocate to Maryland lol. Jokes aside. I dont know why they have to wait 30 days!!!! That is simply ridiculous. Pmans wife why dont you try calling the embassy and speak with the chief consulate officer and also try emailing them. I hope that will help you. I know waiting is very frustrating. In the mean time you have us on visa journey that is here to share your frustration with you. Take care.

Nwanyioma

AOS Timeline
9-22-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-23-2010 EAD/AP Touched

Timeline

Thanks for the suggestion lady. You think I didn't when I did? :yes:

I see I need to update this post:

I call the embassy daily. I have yet to encounter the Chief Consular officer though.

I have also emailed them at least three times. What they are shooting back is nonsense:

This file is under administrative processing. Blah, blah, blah... 6 to 12 months!

Here's an up-to-date list of things I have done:

1. Call embassy, daily, just like they're the NVC.

2. Emailed the embassy daily. (Have gotten one response so far).

3. Called DOS, daily, just like when I was at the NVC.

4. Called Senators and inquired about services offered.

5. Called Congressman.

6. Put one senator's office to work acquiring information. Was told to give til the end of the week. So I'm calling her tomorrow.

* Tomorrow is one week since the interview... ALREADY! Gosh, I can't believe it :no:

Calling DOS is a lot like calling the embassy: it takes a long time and then they read you the same case notes and aggravate you :angry:

Pman's wife,

Girl I dont know whats going on in Georgia but I say that you relocate to Maryland lol. Jokes aside. I dont know why they have to wait 30 days!!!! That is simply ridiculous. Pmans wife why dont you try calling the embassy and speak with the chief consulate officer and also try emailing them. I hope that will help you. I know waiting is very frustrating. In the mean time you have us on visa journey that is here to share your frustration with you. Take care.

Nwanyioma

NVC:

Consulate:

2010-05-08 - POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.