bogartnoir

how much money do you need to get into the states?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hello everyone!

g's moving day to the states is just 2 weeks away and i have a VERY important question for you...

do they ask how much money you have when you cross the border with the k-1 visa? do you need a certain amount to cross?

because my fiance has practically NONE. i mean seriously. is there a baseline requirement or do they just let you pass through without asking questions like that?

thanks again, you guys!

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

they don't care as long as you dont bring more than 10k across, because at that point you would be taxed. I crossed with all my money still in my Canadian account, there was no questions, they only ask if you have money to make sure if its over the tax amount that they get paid.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A K-1/CR-1 is unlike a student visa where you have to prove certain assets to enter the country. You're financially responsible for him, so his assets (or lack there of) are a moot point for denying entry. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
they don't care as long as you dont bring more than 10k across, because at that point you would be taxed. I crossed with all my money still in my Canadian account, there was no questions, they only ask if you have money to make sure if its over the tax amount that they get paid.

You will NOT be taxed on any money over $10,000. You MUST declare it, but it is not subject to any taxes.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline
You will NOT be taxed on any money over $10,000. You MUST declare it, but it is not subject to any taxes.

Oops..thanks for the correction!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Is that a special 'Candien' thing?

Cause I know it's 10K and under - not need to DECLARE it at CUSTOMS, but thats NOT for TAX Purposes.

IMO, you can carry 300K of US Currency, and even more, and not be TAXED on it, at the BORDER.

there is no 'tax amount' - perhaps is different 'label' ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

i already said i was wrong.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Is that a special 'Candien' thing?

Cause I know it's 10K and under - not need to DECLARE it at CUSTOMS, but thats NOT for TAX Purposes.

IMO, you can carry 300K of US Currency, and even more, and not be TAXED on it, at the BORDER.

there is no 'tax amount' - perhaps is different 'label' ?

Read my above post.

It's not a Canadian thing. It's a US Customs thing.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

Just make sure he has $6 or 7 dollars US to pay for the I-94. Other than that they won't care.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think over 10K triggers a question at the bank when it's deposited, like where is this large amount coming from?

Like maybe it's from illegal drug sales or some other unusual activity.

So have fun makin money in the US the taxes are lower, the potential is unlimited, and for helpful, hard working detail oriented Canadians there are lots of jobs to be had in the great Capitalist machine called the USA!

Happy Dreams!

12-14-2009 I-129F Petition sent

12-21-2009 Petition received CSC

12-24-2009 NOA1

12-28-2009 "touched"

12-30-2009 Check cashed

04-20-2010 NOA2 approved!

04-24-2010 NOA2 received hard copy

04-26-2010 NVC received petition

04-28-2010 NVC sent case to Montreal consulate?

05-07-2010 Montreal transferred case to Vancouver consulate!

05-18-2010 Vancouver received case and sent out Packet 3

05-21-2010 Received Packet 3 letter from Vancouver consulate

05-25-2010 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver consulate

05-31-2010 Received Packet 4 Vancouver consulate interview letter

06-09-2010 Medical exam appointment

06-23-2010 Vancouver consulate interview

08-24-2010 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP

08-31-2010 NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

09-30-2010 Appointment for Biometrics

12-06-2010 AOS Appointment in Sacramento

12-10-2010 AOS Approved!

12-20-2010 Recieved Green Card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I think over 10K triggers a question at the bank when it's deposited, like where is this large amount coming from?

Like maybe it's from illegal drug sales or some other unusual activity.

So have fun makin money in the US the taxes are lower, the potential is unlimited, and for helpful, hard working detail oriented Canadians there are lots of jobs to be had in the great Capitalist machine called the USA!

Happy Dreams!

It has to be reported to the IRS when an amount over $10000 is deposited into a bank account.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No amount of money is required. 10K does not trigger a tax. 10K triggers a "raised eyebrow" and maybe some questions as to how it was obtained, "you are moving to the US?" No problem. The money you bring from a foriegn coutry, which was earned and taxed in a foreign country is not "income" and is not subject to tax.

That said, we just left money overseas and withdrew by ATM as needed.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
It has to be reported to the IRS when an amount over $10000 is deposited into a bank account.

Wow, where does all this come from. Banks report depsoits of over $3000 cash (which is not in a business account) or $10,000 in any form to the dept. of the Treasury, this is NOT the same as the IRS. This in turn gets reported to Homeland Security. It is not a tax matter per se, it is a matter of a means to catch criminal activity. It is how they caught the Governor of NY paying for protitutes. Not only is he strange he is really stupid.

A single depost of large amounts, say after selling a home or a big bonus at work will not trigger an investigation, particularly if it from a known source (an insurance settlement for example) But multiple large deposits from strange sources or unknown sources may have the DEA coming to talk to you.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.