Brad and Vika

MIL visa application

119 posts in this topic

Hazah? could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Well I hope it works out for both of us man

Here is one Hazah MIL visa thread MIL1

Here is one of mine, where Hazah describes the rejection of his MIL MIL2

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Strong ties differ from country to country, city to city, individual to individual. Some examples of ties can be a job, a house, a family, a bank account. "Ties" are the various aspects of your life that bind you to your country of residence: your possessions, employment, social and family relationships.

As a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, imagine your own ties in the United States. Would a consular office of a foreign country consider that you have a residence in the United States that you do not intend to abandon? It is likely that the answer would be "yes" if you have a job, a family, if you own or rent a house or apartment, or if you have other commitments that would require you to return to the United States at the conclusion of a visit abroad. Each person's situation is different.

Our consular officers are aware of this diversity. During the visa interview they look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors. In cases of younger applicants who may not have had an opportunity to form many ties, consular officers may look at the applicants specific intentions, family situations, and long-range plans and prospects within his or her country of residence. Each case is examined individually and is accorded every consideration under the law.

You may provide a letter of invitation or support. However, this cannot guarantee visa issuance to a foreign national friend, relative or student. Visa applicants must qualify for the visa according to their own circumstances, not on the basis of an American sponsor's assurance.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/denials/denials_1361.html

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks

Here is one Hazah MIL visa thread MIL1

Here is one of mine, where Hazah describes the rejection of his MIL MIL2

Thanks, I will look at these

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Timeline

Thanks

Thanks, I will look at these

After reading the other threads mentioned here, I had an idea, I have a family member that works for the Border Patrol, do you guys think that a statement from her would help out?

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Timeline

After reading the other threads mentioned here, I had an idea, I have a family member that works for the Border Patrol, do you guys think that a statement from her would help out?

Do you really think she would do it? I would think that it is prohibited.

Once again, the visa applicant has to qualify on there own merits not on the assurances of a US citizen.

YMMV

Timeline

Do you really think she would do it? I would think that it is prohibited.

Once again, the visa applicant has to qualify on there own merits not on the assurances of a US citizen.

I dont know if it would be prohibited or not. I dont see how it would be a conflict of interest, just thinking out loud though

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Timeline

I dont know if it would be prohibited or not. I dont see how it would be a conflict of interest, just thinking out loud though

As a regular USC, no.... but using her position withing the DHS? I do...

Nobody can make someone who has been determined by the consulate to be ineligible to receive a visa magically become eligible... This goes for congressional members as well

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

I have a family member that works for the Border Patrol, do you guys think that a statement from her would help out?

What's she going to write? "My cousin is a really good guy and he'll be sure to ship the people whom I've never met or talked to home after their visit. He tells me he will and I believe him. Signed, Capt. Patrola Irona, US Border Patrol."

Might as well have me write a letter. "Hey USCIS folks in Moscow, this dude on VJ seems legit. Send his in-laws here. Love, Slim."

While it may not hurt the case or their chances of coming here, I don't see how it could help. There was a dude a while back that was going to have his mom sign a letter of intent for him saying how her son really was going to marry this girl he met on the internet. Uh, not saying it hurts the case... but uh, what does that really do to help it?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

What's she going to write? "My cousin is a really good guy and he'll be sure to ship the people whom I've never met or talked to home after their visit. He tells me he will and I believe him. Signed, Capt. Patrola Irona, US Border Patrol."

Might as well have me write a letter. "Hey USCIS folks in Moscow, this dude on VJ seems legit. Send his in-laws here. Love, Slim."

While it may not hurt the case or their chances of coming here, I don't see how it could help. There was a dude a while back that was going to have his mom sign a letter of intent for him saying how her son really was going to marry this girl he met on the internet. Uh, not saying it hurts the case... but uh, what does that really do to help it?

Well, I would say the letter from a mother on intent would buy more than the letter from the border patrol. When applying for a K-1 visa, the fact that the family is on board with the process can mean a lot towards the legitimacy of the relationship. But a border patrol officer who hasn't met the relatives isn't going to be worth much more than the average joe on the street in my opinion.

On the original topic, my MIL just arrived at JFK on Saturday. Her plane landed half an hour early but it took over two hours for a gate to be available and for them to get off the plane. Then there was a huge rush at customs and it was almost 5 hours after landing before she got through customs. Luckily, we took the 5 hour drive to pick her up instead of the connection. There's no way we would have planned a 7 hour connection and she would have had to go through security again and re-check her bags. The strange thing was that it didn't seem there was any sort of extraneous circumstances.

She speaks no English and was able to pass customs without much personal trouble. We gave her a simple letter from us that explained the purpose of her visit and our contact information. The officer read the letter, checked her visa, and let her through within two minutes.

Edited by SMR

Timeline

Well, I would say the letter from a mother on intent would buy more than the letter from the border patrol. When applying for a K-1 visa, the fact that the family is on board with the process can mean a lot towards the legitimacy of the relationship. But a border patrol officer who hasn't met the relatives isn't going to be worth much more than the average joe on the street in my opinion.

On the original topic, my MIL just arrived at JFK on Saturday. Her plane landed half an hour early but it took over two hours for a gate to be available and for them to get off the plane. Then there was a huge rush at customs and it was almost 5 hours after landing before she got through customs. Luckily, we took the 5 hour drive to pick her up instead of the connection. There's no way we would have planned a 7 hour connection and she would have had to go through security again and re-check her bags. The strange thing was that it didn't seem there was any sort of extraneous circumstances.

She speaks no English and was able to pass customs without much personal trouble. We gave her a simple letter from us that explained the purpose of her visit and our contact information. The officer read the letter, checked her visa, and let her through within two minutes.

Well thats great that your MIL got the visa and got through with no problems.

My in laws also speak very very little english, I would say probably only enough to ask where a bathroom is, so this gives me some hope. When I have come back from Russia on my trips there, I always have come through houston or atlanta, and they always had translators at the customs

If you dont mind me asking, your MIL applied for a B2? What documents did she use as evidence of ties to get the B2?

Thanks, its encouraging to hear of somebodies in laws getting a tourist visa

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Timeline

Well thats great that your MIL got the visa and got through with no problems.

My in laws also speak very very little english, I would say probably only enough to ask where a bathroom is, so this gives me some hope. When I have come back from Russia on my trips there, I always have come through houston or atlanta, and they always had translators at the customs

If you dont mind me asking, your MIL applied for a B2? What documents did she use as evidence of ties to get the B2?

Thanks, its encouraging to hear of somebodies in laws getting a tourist visa

Originally, my MIL got a B-2 visa to attend our wedding. She sort of owns an apartment (it isn't privatized but she is the main registrant). I'm not sure if she brought documents to show this. Other than that she doesn't really have any ties (no steady job, no minor children, not studying). She does have some history with Schengen visas of which she has had several and never violated any of them.

The first B-2 visa was good for a year. In February, before it expired, she applied for a new visa. Because she had an active visa, she just had to fill out the application again and pay the visa fee and she got a new visa good for two years without an interview.

Really, both my (now) wife (who was 23, beautiful, and single) and MIL have gotten B-2 visas without much trouble. I know other people that have had problems. Unfortunately, I can't point to any real documents that make the difference. I have always supplied invitation letters and I-134's but it seems they have always been all but ignored in the visa process. The invitations are useful at POE and are almost always asked for.

As you've heard, the whole thing is arbitrary and comes down to whether or not someone got to bed on time.

Timeline

Originally, my MIL got a B-2 visa to attend our wedding. She sort of owns an apartment (it isn't privatized but she is the main registrant). I'm not sure if she brought documents to show this. Other than that she doesn't really have any ties (no steady job, no minor children, not studying). She does have some history with Schengen visas of which she has had several and never violated any of them.

The first B-2 visa was good for a year. In February, before it expired, she applied for a new visa. Because she had an active visa, she just had to fill out the application again and pay the visa fee and she got a new visa good for two years without an interview.

Really, both my (now) wife (who was 23, beautiful, and single) and MIL have gotten B-2 visas without much trouble. I know other people that have had problems. Unfortunately, I can't point to any real documents that make the difference. I have always supplied invitation letters and I-134's but it seems they have always been all but ignored in the visa process. The invitations are useful at POE and are almost always asked for.

As you've heard, the whole thing is arbitrary and comes down to whether or not someone got to bed on time.

Its a shame isnt it...

Well my fiancee has gotten J-1s in the past with no problems, but my in laws have never been to the US.

But again, its encouraging to hear this from someone who has extended family in Russia

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions about bringing my husband's mother for a visit.

My mother-in-law is divorced and lives alone in Yakutsk, Russia. She works as a teacher and owns an apartment there. She has a son who lives in Ukraine and her daughter is married to an American and lives in Florida and her son is my husband and we live in Louisiana. My sister-in-law desperately wants her mother to visit as she hasn't seen her in over 3 years and she hasn't seen her two grandchildren.

My sister-in-law and her husband created an invitation letter and helped her mother put together a packet of evidence. I gave advice based on what I had read here as to what she needed to show - proof of job, apartment, etc., but wasn't really involved in the process. She went for her interview on Aug 3 and was denied. She was told that because of her economic situation and the current recession, she would probably want to stay in America and not return. They also told her that it wouldn't do any good to reapply unless her economic situation changed.

We, of course, have no desire to do that as my husband is eligible to apply for citizenship next April and will be able to bring her here legally if she so desires. One of the purposes of her trip now was for her to decide if she wants to immigrate as she is afraid she won't like it here (yeah, whatever!)

After my MIL was denied, she went to Ukraine to visit her son. Now, my sister-in-law and her husband are calling me asking if she can re-apply in Kiev and what are the chances that she would get a visa so soon after re-applying.

It sounds like a long-shot to me, even if she is able to apply in Kiev in that she is a Russian citizen.

What do you all think? Can she legally apply in Kiev, even if she doesn't live there? Is there any chance they would give her a visa given she was denied so recently?

Edited by Kharkov_Natalie

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions about bringing my husband's mother for a visit.

My mother-in-law is divorced and lives alone in Yakutsk, Russia. She works as a teacher and owns an apartment there. She has a son who lives in Ukraine and her daughter is married to an American and lives in Florida and her son is my husband and we live in Louisiana. My sister-in-law desperately wants her mother to visit as she hasn't seen her in over 3 years and she hasn't seen her two grandchildren.

My sister-in-law and her husband created an invitation letter and helped her mother put together a packet of evidence. I gave advice based on what I had read here as to what she needed to show - proof of job, apartment, etc., but wasn't really involved in the process. She went for her interview on Aug 3 and was denied. She was told that because of her economic situation and the current recession, she would probably want to stay in America and not return. They also told her that it wouldn't do any good to reapply unless her economic situation changed.

We, of course, have no desire to do that as my husband is eligible to apply for citizenship next April and will be able to bring her here legally if she so desires. One of the purposes of her trip now was for her to decide if she wants to immigrate as she is afraid she won't like it here (yeah, whatever!)

After my MIL was denied, she went to Ukraine to visit her son. Now, my sister-in-law and her husband are calling me asking if she can re-apply in Kiev and what are the chances that she would get a visa so soon after re-applying.

It sounds like a long-shot to me, even if she is able to apply in Kiev in that she is a Russian citizen.

What do you all think? Can she legally apply in Kiev, even if she doesn't live there? Is there any chance they would give her a visa given she was denied so recently?

her son can apply to i-130 to her ...he already have green card so he can..he don't have to be citizenship to apply to her.

Beautiful patience.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

her son can apply to i-130 to her ...he already have green card so he can..he don't have to be citizenship to apply to her.

Wrong, you have to be a US Citizen by either birth or Naturalization to sponsor someone to immigrate. A greencard holder is just a permenent resident.

Edited by mandyu1

~ Our Journey ~

10/27/09 - Met online

04/21/10 - Travel to Egypt to meet in person

05/08/10 - Sent I-129F

05/10/10 - VSC receives I-129F

05/11/10 - NOA1

05/13/10 - Touched

05/14/10 - Touched

05/17/10 - Received NOA1 in the mail

07/06/10 - NOA2 - Approved!!!! :)

07/12/10 - Received NOA2 in the mail

07/13/10 - Received at NVC

07/16/10 - NVC changes embassy per our request

07/19/10 - Told we are in AP @ NVC

07/30/10 - Case sent to Cairo embassy

08/05/10 - Case received at embassy

09/07/10 - Received packet 3 - FINALLY!!!

09/15-10 - 2nd trip to Egypt, returned home on 10/5/10

12/14/10 - Received interview date

01/09/11 - 3rd trip to Egypt

01/12/11 - Interview - APPROVED!!!...but AP

01/24/11 - Returned to the states without my habibi :(

04/06/11 - AP was completed!! :)

05/10/11 - Visa has been issued!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.