rs1971

A few general K1 Petition Questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi,

I am just in the beginning stages of preparing an I-129F and after having read a bunch of the great information in the guides, I have a few questions. First the background: my fiancee is Colombian but currently resides in Santiago, Chile where she is finishing up a Masters degree. She should be finished and back in Bogota by the middle of August, though all that remains is work on her thesis which for the most part could be done anywhere so if there were a pressing need she could always fly back sooner without endangering her studies. Here are my questions:

(1) Given that time frame, is right now a reasonable time to submit the I-129? Having looked at the processing times and considering the four month window, it seems safe, but I wanted to bounce the question in case, there's something I don't understand.

(2) I didn't realize until just recently that the I-129 packet involved original materials from her (at least the letter of intent and the G325-A). This is particularly frustrating given that we were just together in Bogota (she was home for break). I should have begun my research before the trip, but alas, I didn't. So is there any optoin at this point other than having her fedex the materials to me?

Okay, that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any replies (and a big thank you to whoever maintains this invaluable site),

-rs1971

1. Seems reasonable.

2. Original signatures are needed - so mail/courier is the way to go.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

1. You are applying using her Chile address? then yes, it is likely that you would have your interview before she finishes in August, could she remain in Chile for awhile after if the process isn't finished yet? It's likely to be finished in time, but a maybe a little borderline, especially since we don't know what kind of affect the situation in Haiti is going to bring in coming month to timelines. Changing consulates midstream could be a time waster, as one person recently found. Perhaps you could wait a couple of months (since you need to wait on signed forms anyway), and apply using her permanent address in Colombia? Perhaps list an addendum to G-325 that the Chilean address is current school address while Colombian address is permanent address, and include in the cover letter a statement requesting the packet be forwarded to Columbia. Just a thought. Unless she can for certain stay in Chili longer than her school year.

2. signatures required

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you both for the responses. I have a few follow-on questions as we work towards preparing the I-129F. First though a clarification. Though she is currently living in Santiago, she will be returning to Bogota, Colombia in August and our plan is to process everything through that embassy. Okay, now for some specific questions:

(1) She is preparing the things which require her original signatures so that she can have them sent to me here in the states to be included in the I-129F packet. Since this is expensive, we'd like not to have to do more than one mailing. So far she has the letter of intent and her G-325A. Another possibility is the passport photo. Other than those three items, is there anything else that can't be sent electronically?

(2) Regarding the passport photos: I was researching the topic in the archives here and someone suggested taking your own photos with a digital camera, cropping them at www.portraitbooth.com and printing them out at Wallgreens. This seems like a great idea but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that there are no issues?

(3) Regarding the Letter of Intent and the G-325A: Is there any point in printing either of these out on anything other than standard grade, white copy paper? I'm assuming 'no,' but thought that it couldn't hurt to ask.

Okay, that's all for now. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-rs1971

Timeline

Ok, one more :)

(1) On the employment piece of my G-325A, I find that my employers full address won't fit in the alotted space. Is there any reason to think that just city / state aren't sufficient? I know that most of these are probably silly questions, but I really dont' want to make any stupid mistakes.

Thanks.

-rs1971

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.