Soph

Particularly complicated case ?

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

We are doing the application by ourself ( about to send the I-129f). Beside one or two questions that we havn't find the answer yet, it's pretty easy to do : We just need to be extra careful and double check everything...

However, I read that sentence many time in VJ "Unless your case is particularly complicated, a lawyer is not necessary".

I overstayed my WVP for 150 days last year : Does it make my case complicated ? My first guess is "I don't think so". But I would like to have your opinion on that and keep my money for the wedding !

Thank you in advance for your answer !

PS: It's true that I am a little bit confused about rather or not I should put an US adress when I overstayed on my WVP in the 325 A. :huh: But for the rest It is easy to figure it out.

03/08/2010 - Apply for K1

07/29/2010 - K-1 Visa Received ! (141 days later)

08/10/2010 - POE

08/13/2010 - Married !

01/17/2011 - Greencard Received !

10/17/2014 - applying for Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My understanding, and you may want to do some more research (search around here, maybe consult with a lawyer) is that previous overstays are not necessarily a showstopper, but failure to report them is. If you don't mention the overstay on your forms, and they discover it, you'll get done for material misrepresentation (lying or omitting important info on a form), and that will buy you a denial, and anything from a few year to lifetime ban on immigrating to the US.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

If you don't mention the overstay on your forms, and they discover it, you'll get done for material misrepresentation (lying or omitting important info on a form),

Thank you for replying so fast !

I will make sure I am not hiding anything and I will put the adress where I stayed when I overstayed.

Still about that G 325a :Regarding the last five years employment, I know there is not really good or bad answer for that on: But is it a "down thing" for our application if I worked months here and there in my country...There is nothing I can do about that question but I am curious to know why they want to know that and if it's going to "hurt" the process because I am unemployed at the moment (job seeking).

Sorry if I ask questions about details ! I am trying to reassure myself that this is going to be fine ! It's hard to be away from him and I would be devasted if we are getting turn down. :(

PS: I did look on the VJ but couldn't find a similar question...

08/10/2010 - POE

08/13/2010 - Married !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

We are doing the application by ourself ( about to send the I-129f). Beside one or two questions that we havn't find the answer yet, it's pretty easy to do : We just need to be extra careful and double check everything...

However, I read that sentence many time in VJ "Unless your case is particularly complicated, a lawyer is not necessary".

I overstayed my WVP for 150 days last year : Does it make my case complicated ? My first guess is "I don't think so". But I would like to have your opinion on that and keep my money for the wedding !

Thank you in advance for your answer !

PS: It's true that I am a little bit confused about rather or not I should put an US adress when I overstayed on my WVP in the 325 A. :huh: But for the rest It is easy to figure it out.

I think 180 days is the HARD line that starts collecting ban time. At any rate, this is not something a lawyer can change.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Is it a "down thing" for our application if I worked months here and there in my country...There is nothing I can do about that question but I am curious to know why they want to know that and if it's going to "hurt" the process because I am unemployed at the moment (job seeking).

My understanding is that they aren't anywhere near as concerned about your career and finances as they are about your sponsor's. If your sponsor is unemployed, they will want your joint/co-sponsor to be rock solid. But you, they don't worry about too much.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Thank you for replying so fast !

I will make sure I am not hiding anything and I will put the adress where I stayed when I overstayed.

Still about that G 325a :Regarding the last five years employment, I know there is not really good or bad answer for that on: But is it a "down thing" for our application if I worked months here and there in my country...There is nothing I can do about that question but I am curious to know why they want to know that and if it's going to "hurt" the process because I am unemployed at the moment (job seeking).

Sorry if I ask questions about details ! I am trying to reassure myself that this is going to be fine ! It's hard to be away from him and I would be devasted if we are getting turn down. :(

PS: I did look on the VJ but couldn't find a similar question...

Wait a second though. When you were on your VWP, you were NOT resident in the US. You were on a tourist visa. Yes, you overstayed it, but I wouldn't go stating you were resident there.

Also, did you work while you overstayed? This isn't clear in your post but is potentially a bigger issue.

I believe, but please someone correct if I'm wrong, but the place that you would tell them about your overstay is in the documents you have to complete for the Embassy. Wait to get more experienced confirmation of this before filing...

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline
Wait a second though. When you were on your VWP, you were NOT resident in the US. You were on a tourist visa. Yes, you overstayed it, but I wouldn't go stating you were resident there.

Also, did you work while you overstayed? This isn't clear in your post but is potentially a bigger issue.

I believe, but please someone correct if I'm wrong, but the place that you would tell them about your overstay is in the documents you have to complete for the Embassy. Wait to get more experienced confirmation of this before filing...

That's a very good point. I wouldn't list the overstay address as a former residence. I would, however, be very diligent to include the overstay and it's full duration in all lists of previous trips to the US.

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

Hi

Thanks for helping me clarifiying this G325a

I entered the US with a WVP on the january 20th 09

my visa expired : april 19th 09

I came home on the september 9th 09

= about 150 days of overstayed or 5 months.

I didn't work while I overstayed.

This is my struggle with the G325a : Applicant's residence last five years :

Choice A :

X rue XXX France : September 09 - Present

X ave XXX USA : January 09 - september 09 Adress where I mostly stayed in Ca but I wasn't technicaly a US resident so ? :wacko:

X rue XXX France : March 08 - January 09

X bld XXX USA : March 07 - March 08 I was an aupair on a J1 in Ca

X bld XXX USA : August 06 - March 07 I was an aupair on a J1 in Mo

Choice B :

X rue XXX France : March 08 - Present

X bld XXX USA : March 07 - March 08 I was an aupair on a J1 in Ca

X bld XXX USA : August 06 - March 07 I was an aupair on a J1 in Mo

X rue XXX France : July 85 - August 06

None

With the choice be I was thinking I could add a letter on the side with the date of my prior overstayed and excuses to the government ?

I tryed to give all the info and organized it. I hope this will help.

Thank you again for your help, I truly appreciate it.

08/10/2010 - POE

08/13/2010 - Married !

Timeline

Honestly, USCIS won't care about your overstay or your excuses. If it becomes an issue it will become one at the embassy (and they won't care about your excuses on paper either, they'll ask you about them) so to me, the paper explaining it is useless

Do not list that you 'lived' in the US during your overstay. You were still a French resident, put your French address for the time you were visiting the US.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Don't lie on the form. You're required to list the number of times you visit the U.S. and the duration of your stay. Mention it there.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Don't lie on the form. You're required to list the number of times you visit the U.S. and the duration of your stay. Mention it there.

Hi

Thank you ! I will follow your advice and put my french adress. I feel so much better now that I know what to write and I suppose the form where I am going to mention the number of times I visited the US will come later with the interview ...!

08/10/2010 - POE

08/13/2010 - Married !

Timeline
Hi

Thank you ! I will follow your advice and put my french adress. I feel so much better now that I know what to write and I suppose the form where I am going to mention the number of times I visited the US will come later with the interview ...!

Yep. Depending on the your local embassy's precise procedures, there will be at least 2 forms to fill out when you apply for the visa itself, both of which will want a complete list of all trips to the US, with durations, and a listing of any and all visas you've ever been issued. For me they were the DS-230 Part 1, and the DS-156. Those both wanted lists of trips to the US (slightly different formats but they both wanted durations). You may do a DS-160 instead of a DS-156, but I'm virtually certain it will want a list of trips to the US as well.

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

Yep. Depending on the your local embassy's precise procedures, there will be at least 2 forms to fill out when you apply for the visa itself, both of which will want a complete list of all trips to the US, with durations, and a listing of any and all visas you've ever been issued. For me they were the DS-230 Part 1, and the DS-156. Those both wanted lists of trips to the US (slightly different formats but they both wanted durations). You may do a DS-160 instead of a DS-156, but I'm virtually certain it will want a list of trips to the US as well.

Anything they want I will give it to them ! Now I just need to be patient.

Thank you for this website, I learned a lot, you guys are great !

08/10/2010 - POE

08/13/2010 - Married !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.