sarahandjason

Interview question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am new to starting the whole process. My boyfriend is Canadian and I am American. I am wondering about the interview process (once we get there of course). He lives in Winnipeg so I believe his interview would be in Montreal? Is he the only one that goes to the interview or is it both of us? Please don't judge, but I have to wait another two years to have my criminal record (a dui 5 years ago) cleared for good in Canada so I wouldn't be able to go for an interview there unless I am granted a waiver. That is why I am asking.

If anyone has any advice as to the best way to go about this, whether it be K-1 or getting married and then filing one of the other visas. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

He is the only one required at the interview.

The petitioners are allowed in, but if you are unable to make it, that's fine. It wont hurt anything at the interview.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Dont be embarrassed about the DUI, my hubby had the same problem, and I went to my interview alone. In fact, the majority of people there were there by themselves :)

Good luck with the process, make sure all your T's are crossed and I's dotted and you will be fine.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm from Winnipeg. If you get a K-1 the interview will be in Vancouver. If you get married first and go for a CR-1 the interview will be in Montreal. There should be no problem with him going to the interview alone. Some consulates, particularly in "high fraud" countries make a big deal of it, but we are very fortunate to be in Canada where it's not a big deal. I was alone at my interview. It's very common in Canada, and not a problem at all.

Your main choice, as I said above, is between a K-1 and a CR-1 visa. With a CR-1 you get married first. (For you this would probably happen in the US, because of the travel concerns you note above.) You would then return to Canada while the visa processes. After the interview and approval, you would travel to the US, and receive a green card in a few weeks. This approach is cheaper, and normally about the same length of time (perhaps 1-2 months longer.) The major downside is that you face a significant period of separation after the marriage. Also, Montreal has been significantly backlogged of late, so it may take a couple of extra months to get an interview, delaying the process.

With the K-1, your American initiates the process of petitioning for you. Eventually the petition is approved, and you get a packet from the Vancouver consulate. When you fax them everything they want, they schedule you for an interview. If all goes well you get the visa and can travel to the US. Once in the US, you have 90 days in which to marry. You cannot leave the US (for ANY reason, period full-stop) until after you marry and file your Adjustment of Status, receiving your AP document, usually 2-3 months after arrival. K-1 is more expensive (the AOS process is an extra thousand dollars) and you have that awkward 2-3 months in legal limbo after arrival, but it will be somewhat faster (particularly because of Montreal's backlog, which doesn't affect Vancouver), and you have the advantage of no separation after the wedding.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Your interview will be in Vancouver...lucky for you. The time from NOA2 to interview is probably only a couple of months. Best of luck! It's nice for some to have their partner there for the interview for moral support, but it isn't something that they have to attend. I attended in Vancouver on my own and I was in and out in a 1/2 hour. I spent 5 vacation days in Vancouver and had a lovely mini-vacation!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

He doesn't have to come in. My Interview is in April, mine is coming with me, but don't worry he does not have to it wont change or effect the visa in anyway your getting the visa not him.

K1 Timeline

I-129F sent to Vermont Service Centre: 08/19/2009

NOA1 Notice Date: 09/03/2009

NOA1 Hard Copy received: 09/10/2009

NOA2 Notice Date: 11/25/2009

NVC Received : 12/01/2009

NVC Left : 12/02/2009

Consulate Received : 12/03/2009

Consulate sent packet 3: 12/09/2009

Packet 3 received by me: 12/15/2009

Packet 3 faxed to consulate: 12/16/2009

Packet 3 sent to consulate: 01/06/2010

Packet 3 received by consulate: 01/08/2010

Packet 3 logged:01/25/2010

Packet 4 Received: 02/10/2010

Medical!: 02/01/2010

Interview: 04/16/2010

POE: Aug 7th, 2010

Wedding: August 14 2010 YAY

SSN Received: September 8th, 2010

AOS Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Sarah! (I'm guessing you are Sarah from the user name :))

Usually when the USC attends the interview it is just for moral support. The interview is for the Canadian, not for the American. My husband came with me but he definitely didn't need to be there... except to hold my hand while I was freaking out :lol:

You're definitely not the first person to be affected by a DUI, no need to be embarrassed. We all make mistakes.

I went with my wife to her interview but they really didn't want to hear anything from me at all :) Welcome to VJ and good luck!!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

welcome to VJ! Glad you're here and that you're asking questions. This whole process can be stressful, and frustrating!! To be sure. However, you'll get lots of support here. The average time for a K-1 is about 6 months. Some can be much quicker, and some longer. Read the guides at the top to know the difference between that and CR-1 and ask us anything.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.