3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the form DS-230, I'm confused whether I should put my wife's last name or whether to put my last name as her Family Name and then where it asks for Other Names used put her maiden name. The I-130 application was filled out with her last name, the reason for this is that in Peru there is no name change for marriage. My spouse is going to get her passport for the first time, for what I'm informed NVC gives you the visa according to what name it states on the passport. But lets say that in Peru they don't want to change her last name in her passport, and she stays with her maiden name, can I still fill out the DS-230 with my last name as Family Name or should I go by what's printed on the passport. Our biggest concern is that we both want her visa to be issued with my last name, this way her green card also has her married name, this way we don't need to be doing any changes afterwards. So basically on her I-130 applicaiton she has her maiden name, on her DS-230 I would be putting my last name as Family Name, and hoping that her Peruvian passport they change her last name to her married name. I hope somebody can help me on this issue, and I hope I was clear enough. Thank you in advance.

Date of Wedding : 11/27/2010

Date I-130 Sent : 12/29/2009

Date I-130 NOA1 (Receipt) : 01/06/2010

Date I-130 NOA2 (Approved) : 03/09/2010

Date Package Received By NVC : 03/12/2010

-- Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 03/17/2010

-- Pay I-864 Bill : 03/17/2010

-- Return I-864 Package : 03/22/2010

-- Return Completed DS-3032 : 03/18/2010

-- Receive IV Bill : 03/23/2010

-- Pay IV Bill : 03/23/2010

-- Receive Instruction Package : 03/25/2010

-- Case Completed at NVC : 04/09/2010

Date Package Left From NVC :

Date Received By Consulate :

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) :

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) :

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4):

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa): 05/17/2010

Interview Result: Approved

Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received : 05/19/2010

Date of US Entry : 05/27/2010

Timeline
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the form DS-230, I'm confused whether I should put my wife's last name or whether to put my last name as her Family Name and then where it asks for Other Names used put her maiden name. The I-130 application was filled out with her last name, the reason for this is that in Peru there is no name change for marriage. My spouse is going to get her passport for the first time, for what I'm informed NVC gives you the visa according to what name it states on the passport. But lets say that in Peru they don't want to change her last name in her passport, and she stays with her maiden name, can I still fill out the DS-230 with my last name as Family Name or should I go by what's printed on the passport. Our biggest concern is that we both want her visa to be issued with my last name, this way her green card also has her married name, this way we don't need to be doing any changes afterwards. So basically on her I-130 applicaiton she has her maiden name, on her DS-230 I would be putting my last name as Family Name, and hoping that her Peruvian passport they change her last name to her married name. I hope somebody can help me on this issue, and I hope I was clear enough. Thank you in advance.

Hey man. We just finished up in Lima. It doesn't really matter what you do on the DS-230. NVC will change it to match the passport. That's what they did in our case. I will just go through whatever I can to get her name changed on everything here. We tried really hard to get the name to be American-style, but RENIEC refused. And once they refused, it was all over but the shouting.

The good news is that I don't think you can mess it up. I used my last name as the family name the whole time, but NVC forwarded the case to the embassy with her name as it appears in her passport.

Good luck.

Mark :)

Timeline

Thank you so much Mark, I'm happy to have this cleared up now.

Date of Wedding : 11/27/2010

Date I-130 Sent : 12/29/2009

Date I-130 NOA1 (Receipt) : 01/06/2010

Date I-130 NOA2 (Approved) : 03/09/2010

Date Package Received By NVC : 03/12/2010

-- Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 03/17/2010

-- Pay I-864 Bill : 03/17/2010

-- Return I-864 Package : 03/22/2010

-- Return Completed DS-3032 : 03/18/2010

-- Receive IV Bill : 03/23/2010

-- Pay IV Bill : 03/23/2010

-- Receive Instruction Package : 03/25/2010

-- Case Completed at NVC : 04/09/2010

Date Package Left From NVC :

Date Received By Consulate :

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) :

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) :

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4):

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa): 05/17/2010

Interview Result: Approved

Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received : 05/19/2010

Date of US Entry : 05/27/2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.