mugs

Interview tomorrow/Will they take or invalidate passport?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My wife has her interview for naturalization tomorrow. (Hooray! Finally!!!)

She is worried that they will take away or somehow invalidate her Chinese passport and she knows that she won't be a U.S. citizen until she takes the oath (whenever that might be) so in the waiting period she would like to fly back to China for a couple of weeks for the Spring Festival.

Can anyone ease her mind and tell her that they won't take away or ruin her passport? I don't think they will but I'm not positive...

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

She is worried that they will take away or somehow invalidate her Chinese passport and she knows that she won't be a U.S. citizen until she takes the oath (whenever that might be) so in the waiting period she would like to fly back to China for a couple of weeks for the Spring Festival.

Can anyone ease her mind and tell her that they won't take away or ruin her passport? I don't think they will but I'm not positive...

Thanks!

The US government has no power to remove a passport for another country, only the country the passport is for can do that. Does China permit dual citizenship? The US will send a document to the Chinese government telling them that she took an oath as a US citizen so if they don't permit dual citizenship they MAY revoke her Chinese citizenship.

Timeline

According to this: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/...nationality.htm she will lose her Chinese passport, but not because the US takes it, but because China doesn't recognise dual nationals.

Sorry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She will keep her passport and her green card after her interview. Her passport belongs to her and the Chinese government - the US cannot take it. The US cannot even take away her Chinese citizenship. China, however, can if they do not recognize dual citizenship. Your wife will hold on to her green card until her oath ceremony, then will turn it in at the ceremony and will receive in its place her Naturalization certificate. Good luck on the interview.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

They may want to look at her passport to verify her travel dates. They won't keep her passport.

Whether her Chinese passport remains valid is a question for the Chinese government. I don't know Chinese law. But I suspect that even if China takes away Chinese citizenship of people who obtain another nationality, there would be no effect on her Chinese passport until she actually obtained US Citizenship. Just going to the interview shouldn't have an effect. But maybe I'm wrong. It's worth checking into Chinese citizenship laws.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Good Luck !

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Timeline

Just to make it obvious, she will not lose her passport at the interview but the chinese government WILL revoke her chinese citizenship once the US advises them that you are now a US citizen (which is the policy when you take the citizenship oath).

See here: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/...nationality.htm

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
Just to make it obvious, she will not lose her passport at the interview but the chinese government WILL revoke her chinese citizenship once the US advises them that you are now a US citizen (which is the policy when you take the citizenship oath).

See here: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/...nationality.htm

I don't think the U.S. gives out any information about U.S. citizens to the Chinese government. I'd be surprised if they did.

Timeline
I don't think the U.S. gives out any information about U.S. citizens to the Chinese government. I'd be surprised if they did.

They do. I read it on a US government website advising the US Department of State (I think DOS) sent a letter to your home country advising you had taken US citizenship. The reason it was mention on that site (I'm still trying to find it) was a question regarding dual nationality and how some countries don't rely on that letter to revoke your home country citizenship but instead require you to send in a revocation form (this could be an old site so old information they don't do anymore but I know they DID, and possibly still do).

Until I find it you're welcome to pretend that it doesn't happen, in either event the end result is the same, the Chinese government WILL revoke Chinese citizenship on the acquisition of citizenship of another country.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
They do. I read it on a US government website advising the US Department of State (I think DOS) sent a letter to your home country advising you had taken US citizenship. The reason it was mention on that site (I'm still trying to find it) was a question regarding dual nationality and how some countries don't rely on that letter to revoke your home country citizenship but instead require you to send in a revocation form (this could be an old site so old information they don't do anymore but I know they DID, and possibly still do).

Until I find it you're welcome to pretend that it doesn't happen, in either event the end result is the same, the Chinese government WILL revoke Chinese citizenship on the acquisition of citizenship of another country.

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you find that site. I had the opposite idea because last weekend I was reading a post on this site (for the life of me I can't find it now) concerning a VJ member who had dinner with a Center director and asked alot of FAQ that people were usually curious about. They got to the subject of passports and I seem to recall that the director stated pretty specifically that the U.S. didn't inform other countries about anything concerning new citizens.

I'll keep trying to find that post!

Timeline

Ugh i'm having trouble finding the exact post but I did KIND OF find reference to it, it's a "renunciation letter" and it's mentioned in this: http://www.800citizen.com/dualCitizenship.htm

Also, important for your wife, have her read Q8 and it's answer in the above link, it discusses dangers of travelling after obtaining new citizenship

Here's another list telling you that china responded to the survey about dual nationality: http://www.800citizen.com/dualCitizenship.htm and stated that you lose it.

This link: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/...nationality.htm (I also posted it previously) mentions the specific Chinese law that deals with dual-nationality. It's definitely not allowed, but I'm not sure how they'd find out, and if they DO find out, what punishments there are (another post I read said some countries frown upon it enough that you get fined for not telling them).

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I talked about this with "justbob" on another thread a few months ago. China doesn't allow you to have any other nationality... however the U.S. doesn't give out info (to China at least... I emailed the U.S. embassy in China about this... because of course it directly relates to my wife and I...). BUT Aus, E.U., ECT (I know you like ECT tony lol) might be different. I hope you find the link Tony, it would be an interesting. Because as far as I know, they don't give it to any country... but think about it, isn't giving info to another government a privacy concern? But a Chinese visa is only about $150 and you get the protection of the U.S. government (whatever protection they can really give in China lol). So you would have to be dumb or just really poor to try and use your Chinese passport for a short visa..... a long term move might be different.

Edited by freetv

Timeline
I talked about this with "justbob" on another thread a few months ago. China doesn't allow you to have any other nationality... however the U.S. doesn't give out info (to China at least... I emailed the U.S. embassy in China about this... because of course it directly relates to my wife and I...). BUT Aus, E.U., ECT (I know you like ECT tony lol) might be different. I hope you find the link Tony, it would be an interesting. Because as far as I know, they don't give it to any country... but think about it, isn't giving info to another government a privacy concern? But a Chinese visa is only about $150 and you get the protection of the U.S. government (whatever protection they can really give in China lol). So you would have to be dumb or just really poor to try and use your Chinese passport for a short visa..... a long term move might be different.

Just had to reply.... ETC ETC ETC !!! lol. It's short for ETCETERA PEOPLE!! lol. I know you did it on purpose :P I'll keep looking for that link.

You do raise a valid point about kinda of "hiding" the chinese passport unless you go back permanently or something.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

One quick note...your fiancee must wait until she receives her green card before leaving the U.S. Otherwise she forfeits her AOS petition and can not re-enter the U.S.

K-1 Timeline

08-10-2007 - We first met

05-08-2009 - I proposed

12-01-2009 - 129F sent

12-04-2009 - NOA-1

12-12-2009 - NOA-1 hardcopy received

03-15-2010 - NOA-2 101 days

03-17-2010 - NVC received petition

03-18-2010 - NVC sent petition to embassy

03-20-2010 - NOA-2 hardcopy received

03-25-2010 - Embassy received petition

03-25-2010 - Embassy mailed out Packet 3

04-09-2010 - Received Packet 3 in the mail

04-12-2010 - Packet 3 faxed to embassy

06-17-2010 - INTERVIEW

06-17-2010 - VISA APPROVED!!!

07-17-2010 - POE in Miami

09-25-2010 - Wedding date!

AOS Timeline

11-03-2010 - Express mailed AOS packet via USPS

11-05-2010 - Chicago Lockbox received packet

11-18-2010 - Received notice for Biometrics appointment

12-13-2010 - Biometrics appointment

12-15-2010 - Petition transferred to CSC

01-27-2011 - Received AP and EAD card in the mail

02-07-2011 - Case transferred to National Benefits Center in Missouri from CSC

02-15-2011 - Received interview letter in the mail dated for March 22nd

03-22-2011 - AOS interview date

03-22-2011 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!

03-30-2011 - Received green card in the mail.

the OP was concerned only in the interim period between the interview and oath date. how'd the interview go by the way?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.