kittens_0117

Passport renewals after marriage (before applications)

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am from Philippines under L1 visa working in MN and I just got married to a US citizen (my husband) a week ago. My passport is about to expire in a few weeks (visa still valid till next year), and I know that I need to get the passport renewed in the consulate somewhere in Chicago. We are also under the process of getting an immigration lawyer to start paperwork for AOS.

I am wondering if there is an ideal timing for me to get my passport renewed, could I do it even if the AOS hasn't started yet or will it be better if I renew when the AOS has been filed. Does it make any difference if I file it before or after the paperwork has started?

Take note that I have changed my name upon marriage. I just want to avoid redundancy in processing - do I have to renew under my new name, or will I still use my original name?

Hopefully this forum could get me some answers. Thanks.

K@

Personal Timeline

N400 JOURNEY

2015/05/02 - sent N-400 packet to USCIS [Day 0] (Saturday mail)

2015/05/12 - check cashed [Day 10]
2015/05/15 - I-797C NOA received [Day 13]

2015/06/01 - biometrics appointment [Day 29]

2015/09/10 - interview appointment [Day 131] - pending N-14 add'l evidence req'd

2015/11/17 - oath taking [Day 169]

GC/ROC JOURNEY

(In essence of keeping my signature short, please check my Timeline)

AOS JOURNEY

I'm new here - hopefully someone could help, please? :blush:

Hi,

I am from Philippines under L1 visa working in MN and I just got married to a US citizen (my husband) a week ago. My passport is about to expire in a few weeks (visa still valid till next year), and I know that I need to get the passport renewed in the consulate somewhere in Chicago. We are also under the process of getting an immigration lawyer to start paperwork for AOS.

I am wondering if there is an ideal timing for me to get my passport renewed, could I do it even if the AOS hasn't started yet or will it be better if I renew when the AOS has been filed. Does it make any difference if I file it before or after the paperwork has started?

Take note that I have changed my name upon marriage. I just want to avoid redundancy in processing - do I have to renew under my new name, or will I still use my original name?

K@

Personal Timeline

N400 JOURNEY

2015/09/10 - interview appointment [Day 131] - pending N-14 add'l evidence req'd

GC/ROC JOURNEY

AOS JOURNEY

Hi,

K@

I am not sure if you can apply for a phil passport with your married name on it... maybe you would have to register it first with the phil consulate to be recognized???

Try calling the consulate in Chicago... They were pretty helpful when I called there before... :)

7b5542f085.png

event.png

Adjustment of Status:

Approval: 2010-02-16

Greencard Received: 2010-02-25

Removal of Conditions:

1-07-12 Sent I-751 application to CSC

1-11-12 CSC received Application

1-13-12 check cashed

Hi,

K@

this is just my idea, since your passport will expire soon plus you got married, i believe you have to apply in person to renew your passport, why dont you just bring your marriage cert w/ you together with your hubby's copy of ID (in san fran consulate when i reported my marriage they asked for a copy of my husband's ID {passport, DL})... that way the consulate of chicago can register your marriage in Phil, by then you can have your name change in your husband's last name.

when i filed for aos, my passport was still on my maiden name and i didnt report my marriage till last june 2009, and have my passport change in phil in my married name last dec... hope this help

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

I am not sure if you can apply for a phil passport with your married name on it... maybe you would have to register it first with the phil consulate to be recognized???

Try calling the consulate in Chicago... They were pretty helpful when I called there before... :)

Thanks for the help... I tried calling the Chicago consulate - couldn't make it past voicemail though - it was hell. Do you have any idea if there's an ideal time to call?

I think I have to file a report of marriage form (ROM), but I'm not sure about the part where I should already renew to the married name if it's the first time I would also file a report of marriage.

Just didn't want to go back and forth if it's possible. If it's not - well it's that's how it goes then. :luv:

K@

Personal Timeline

N400 JOURNEY

GC/ROC JOURNEY

AOS JOURNEY

this is just my idea, since your passport will expire soon plus you got married, i believe you have to apply in person to renew your passport, why dont you just bring your marriage cert w/ you together with your hubby's copy of ID (in san fran consulate when i reported my marriage they asked for a copy of my husband's ID {passport, DL})... that way the consulate of chicago can register your marriage in Phil, by then you can have your name change in your husband's last name.

when i filed for aos, my passport was still on my maiden name and i didnt report my marriage till last june 2009, and have my passport change in phil in my married name last dec... hope this help

:wow: This is good knowledge!

So it means I can still renew under my old name for now then just file an ROM within a year of the marriage, correct? :star:

Personal Timeline

N400 JOURNEY

GC/ROC JOURNEY

AOS JOURNEY

:wow: This is good knowledge!

So it means I can still renew under my old name for now then just file an ROM within a year of the marriage, correct? :star:

why not do it both at the same time? way easier!!! i chose not to change/renew my passport here in the US because i have to appear in person, i live here in colorado and my consulate would have to be in san fran, means time and money... i just reported it (by mail), that way since we regularly go to phil for a vacation (yearly) i just thought to have my last name change there, which i did w/ no trouble (pertaining your marriage is already reported)...

so its up to u. report your marriage by mail or do it together when you renew your passport (bring marriage cert and other important docs needed) ~these are just my thoughts and understanding. good luck!~

Edited by RonMay

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.