TheDoyles

Best Way

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is my first post in these forums. My name is John and my partner is called Donna. I am in the US and Donna is in London.

I registered a couple of weeks ago and have read over the guides as best I can.

Donna and I have lived in the UK for the last several years as unmarried partners. At our ages neither of us felt the need to marry and would actually like to keep it that way. But family matters in the US have called me back here and it seems I may need to stay for several years. Donna and I have talked about just dealing with the distance but it doesn't seem practical.

I will need assistance in processing her papers to come to the US. I'm very busy with family matters and don't have the time to deal with governmental nonsense.

It's also a bit embarrassing to admit but I am also dyslexic. Paperwork is not my strong suit. It has taken me several minutes to draft this post.

What recommendations are there for people like me?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Firstly, congratulations and good on you for posting a completely error-less post :) Had you not said you were dyslexic I never would have known. I know it's very difficult and there's no need to be embarrassed.

As for your question, it all depends on how you would like her to come to the US. It isn't really possible for her to come to the US as your partner. It needs to be your fiancee and then eventually wife, or as your wife.

There are two option for you, both require your fiancee/wife to remain in the UK until she has the visa. She may visit you but will have her interview etc in the UK. They are:

- K1 visa (fiancee) in which after approval and entry into the US, she has 90 days from entry to marry you. Then you need to adjust status (AOS) so she can get her green card. it is one of the more expensive options, and she will be unable to work until she gets her EAD (employment authorisation document) which will take about 3 months from applying for AOS.

- The other option (and better in my opinion) is the CR-1 visa. This requires you be married first (whether in the UK or US is irrelevant), and then after approval and entry you don't need to adjust status (saves you $1010) and she can find work immediately.

The good part is your fiancee/wife is able to fill in the forms herself. It doesn't HAVE to be you. You can also hire a lawyer if you would like but those are usually a waste of money unless your case is difficult. I did the K1 visa and the only paperwork my husband filled in himself was the initial petition (I could have but it needs to be signed by him and submitted in the US), and then the affidavit of support. Again I filled in the affidavit mostly but he needed to give financial information. The rest they send paperwork to HER to complete. She needs to sign etc.

Given your dyslexia I would have a friend and/or family member check the forms. Or have your partner fill them in for you. It would be easier if you had someone at home to help you out (if your partner isn't visiting you). Another idea is to have your partner visit you, or you visit your partner and have her help you complete the forms.

Both cases it should take around 6 months, sometimes more to get the visa.

I wish you the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
This is my first post in these forums. My name is John and my partner is called Donna. I am in the US and Donna is in London.

I registered a couple of weeks ago and have read over the guides as best I can.

Donna and I have lived in the UK for the last several years as unmarried partners. At our ages neither of us felt the need to marry and would actually like to keep it that way. But family matters in the US have called me back here and it seems I may need to stay for several years. Donna and I have talked about just dealing with the distance but it doesn't seem practical.

I will need assistance in processing her papers to come to the US. I'm very busy with family matters and don't have the time to deal with governmental nonsense.

It's also a bit embarrassing to admit but I am also dyslexic. Paperwork is not my strong suit. It has taken me several minutes to draft this post.

What recommendations are there for people like me?

I think you should get married and then you most likely qualify for direct consular filing at the consulate. You'll have to prove domicile back in the US.

Even with an attorney you still have to provide them with all the information.

AOS Mailed 5-02-2010

NOA1 5-12-2010

Forward CSC 6-06-2010

Biometrics 6-16-2010

AOS Touch 7-10-2010

EAD Approve 7-21-2010

EAD Arrival 7-30-2010

Greencard Approve 9-08-2010

Greencard Arrives 9-15-2010

No Interview

ROC Mailed 6-12-2012

Timeline
I think you should get married and then you most likely qualify for direct consular filing at the consulate. You'll have to prove domicile back in the US.

Even with an attorney you still have to provide them with all the information.

No. He is in the USA. John please ignore this as you are living in the USA now this does not apply to you.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
Thank you Vanessa.

I was really thinking of hiring a professional. There are many distractions right now in addition to my personal challenge.

If it makes you feel better by all means hire a lawyer. There is a LOT of information to read so I think it would make you feel a lot safer to hire someone.

A couple of hints:

- make sure you look around as some lawyers really try to rip people off.

- keep on top of them for information and confirmation of filing. One of the biggest issues is they take a while.

- Proof read the docs (or ask a friend or family member who knows you) before they send anything off because sometimes the secretaries make silly typo's and this slows you down while the USCIS asks you to fix it

Good luck :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
No. He is in the USA. John please ignore this as you are living in the USA now this does not apply to you.

Thanks for the catch, Vanessa&Tony I apologize to the OP. I read the third paragraph thinking that was still the case.

A lawyer could help you, but if your case is rather uncomplicated, as it seems to be, it's almost as much work to hire one then to do it yourselves. It is not difficult if you can follow directions and have someone help you to fill out forms.

You still have to give them all the information, make all the copies, find and print all the receipts and double check the forms. Then you have to wait for them to send you updates when things happen and bug them to do things in a timely manner.

AOS Mailed 5-02-2010

NOA1 5-12-2010

Forward CSC 6-06-2010

Biometrics 6-16-2010

AOS Touch 7-10-2010

EAD Approve 7-21-2010

EAD Arrival 7-30-2010

Greencard Approve 9-08-2010

Greencard Arrives 9-15-2010

No Interview

ROC Mailed 6-12-2012

Filed: Other Timeline

Dear Mr. Doyle,

first of all: congratulations!; your written English is excellent. Many Americans and Englishmen couldn't pull that of if they spent hours writing what you wrote.

Secondly, Uncle Sam doesn't recognize domestic partnerships, the same way he doesn't recognize same sex couples. What that means is that you will have to make a life-changing decision: are you willing to get married, just to make Uncle Sam happy or not?

If you do, filing the necessary IR-1 paperwork is straight forward, and I don't think you'll need to retain an attorney. That said, if you are financially well off and don't mind spending a few hundred Dollars for the comfort of not having to deal with the bureaucracy directly, there's no harm in doing so.

If you, however, would rather not get married, your partner will have to use a B2 (visitor's) visa, which will limit her ability to spend time with you quite a bit.

There you have it: we're living in the 21st Century, yet the influence of the Church is still firmly established in our daily lives.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thank you all for your kind words. My dyslexia however doesn't prevent me from writing. It just slows me down a bit. Many famous people manage with the condition.

What I am really looking for is advice on some professionals in this field to turn too. The family lawyer is not interested in processng the paperwork. He has recommended someone whom I have an appointment with. I'm never one to act in haste however and would like to consult with at least three experts before deciding who I should hire.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Dear Mr. Doyle,

first of all: congratulations!; your written English is excellent. Many Americans and Englishmen couldn't pull that of if they spent hours writing what you wrote.

Secondly, Uncle Sam doesn't recognize domestic partnerships, the same way he doesn't recognize same sex couples. What that means is that you will have to make a life-changing decision: are you willing to get married, just to make Uncle Sam happy or not?

If you do, filing the necessary IR-1 paperwork is straight forward, and I don't think you'll need to retain an attorney. That said, if you are financially well off and don't mind spending a few hundred Dollars for the comfort of not having to deal with the bureaucracy directly, there's no harm in doing so.

If you, however, would rather not get married, your partner will have to use a B2 (visitor's) visa, which will limit her ability to spend time with you quite a bit.

There you have it: we're living in the 21st Century, yet the influence of the Church is still firmly established in our daily lives.

IR1 and CR1 paperwork are the same but since the couple is unmarried, should they pursue a spouse visa, it would be CR1, not IR1.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Me and my partner hired a lawyer over in the states to do the paperwork for us, they have been wonderful and if im totally honest, i dont think we would have had all the paperwork done correctly in the time that they did it in.

www.fianceevisas.com (Holmes and Lolly), if you want to get in contact with them, email kareema@fianceevisas.com, you can say you got the email from gregg and melissa. Good luck with everything.

Timeline

I would like to thank those of you who have taken the time to answer my queries in a community which (it has now become apparent to me) consists primarily of 'do-it-yourself-ers'.

I received a few private messages which were interesting.

I am more likely inclined though to include of a firm which has enough business acumen to put its name and legitimate contact details on it's internet space. I received some advice through private message which pointed me to a visa consultancy. The firm professes to be legitimate and expert yet offers up no information as to who the principals are. They also expect me to fully give them my name, address and telephone number in order to receive information about their services. Frankly, I don't need help that badly.

If anyone else had suggestions for legitimate firms, I'd be most grateful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.