detredwin

passports for dependents

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

By the time my wife and I will be filing the condition removal application, both of the K-2 kids' passports will expire (they will be 15 and 6 at that time). My wife's passport is good for 8 more years. My understanding is that the kids get written into our single petition. I also understand that only copies of all 3 green cards are required, not counting the evidence package. Are the copies of the passport required as well, showing that the passport is valid at the time of the application? If not, we won't bother with the expiration of the kids' passports until they become U.S. citizens a year after the conditions are removed and have US passports at that point.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Gary

By the time my wife and I will be filing the condition removal application, both of the K-2 kids' passports will expire (they will be 15 and 6 at that time). My wife's passport is good for 8 more years. My understanding is that the kids get written into our single petition. I also understand that only copies of all 3 green cards are required, not counting the evidence package. Are the copies of the passport required as well, showing that the passport is valid at the time of the application? If not, we won't bother with the expiration of the kids' passports until they become U.S. citizens a year after the conditions are removed and have US passports at that point.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Gary

No, passport copies are not required.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Gary

Passports are not required for the LOC. BUT what you are suggesting is a very bad idea. Renew their passports, NOW would be a good time. They do not magically become citizens on their three year anniversary, you are probably looking at 8-12 months after that before they have a US passport in hand. In the meantime they will not be able to travel.

Think about THEIR options. Ukraine does not allow dual citizenship, BUT if they have a "fresh" Ukrainian passport when they receive their US passport, well, the US doesn't telll Ukraine anything, if you get my drift. And the benefit is...what? A Ukrainian passport gets them into many countries without a visa that US citizens need a visa for. Not that a 6 year old is going to be jetting off to Moscow for the Bolshoi ballet, but why are you cancelling out that option for them when they are 29 or 35 years old? Or 46 years old? Letting the Ukrainian passport lapse while they become US citizens is pretty well guaranteed to forfeit any future Ukrainian passports. As long as they have a valid Ukraine passport, they will always be able to get another one.

You can renew their passports at the Ukrainian consulates in the US in Nw York, Chicago or San Francisco. Check the website.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Gary

Can you say 100% for sure that your wife and kids don't have plans to travel back home? How do you know there won't be a family emergency/ I don't know your situation of course and you may not ever have plans to do that but you should maintain their passports for the country they have citizenship in for now I would think. It's an official document that shows their current citizenship - otherwise what else do you have that proves that? No clue whether they can maintain dual or not...but the poster above seems to have thought of some advantages to keeping it up to date.

Also - your wife can obtain citizenship before they kids can - 3 yrs for her since she's married to you, but 5 for them......someone correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Can you say 100% for sure that your wife and kids don't have plans to travel back home? How do you know there won't be a family emergency/ I don't know your situation of course and you may not ever have plans to do that but you should maintain their passports for the country they have citizenship in for now I would think. It's an official document that shows their current citizenship - otherwise what else do you have that proves that? No clue whether they can maintain dual or not...but the poster above seems to have thought of some advantages to keeping it up to date.

Also - your wife can obtain citizenship before they kids can - 3 yrs for her since she's married to you, but 5 for them......someone correct me if I'm wrong

I believe the kids become citizens too based on the parents application. They will be citizens the day the wife becomes one. They won't have to wait 2 more years after their mother to become citizens.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I believe the kids become citizens too based on the parents application. They will be citizens the day the wife becomes one. They won't have to wait 2 more years after their mother to become citizens.

This is correct. They will need to file the N600 application to receive their proofs of citizenship, however, they would then have derivative citizenship through their mother.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you all for your comments. We may decide to renew, and we have thought of some of the things that were mentioned, but at least we are assured that if we don't (or at least don't do it right away), we won't have the condition removal issues.

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.