mehra

Those who filed their i-751?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everybody ,

I have a question which you maybe able to answer. In I-751 form there is a section for US citizen spouse and there is a question about A # (if any). My spouse got citizenship through naturalization. Is this number the same number on top right corner of naturalization certificate or this is a N/A question?

Hi everybody ,

I have a question which you maybe able to answer. In I-751 form there is a section for US citizen spouse and there is a question about A # (if any). My spouse got citizenship through naturalization. Is this number the same number on top right corner of naturalization certificate or this is a N/A question?

No, if your spouse is a USC then you leave that blank. This is only needed if your spouse is also a GC holder.

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't leave anything blank, I put N/A for that part.

N-400
05/30/2013 Sent N-400 package to AZ lockbox via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation
06/14/2013 Biometrics letter received
06/17/2013 Early Biometrics

06/19/2013 In line for interview
08/08/2013 Scheduled for interview
08/13/2013 Received interview letter
09/16/2013 Interview (Passed)

10/25/2013 Scheduled for oath

10/29/2013 Received oath letter

11/15/2013 Oath

ROC Process I-751
1/12/2010 Sent I-751 package to CSC via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation
1/25/2010 Received NOA1
2/04/2010 Received Biometrics Letter
3/29/2010 Approved. Card Production ordered.
4/03/2010 Card Received! (Total: 81 days)

I didn't leave anything blank, I put N/A for that part.

That works too.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

If your US citizen spouse received his citizenship through naturalization, then yes the A# that is on his Naturalization papers is his alien number and that is the number you would use. If he was a US citizen by birth he would not have an A number and therefore you would use N/A (not applicable). Since he got citizenship through Naturalization, he does have an A number.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

I am not buying that sight unseen.

At naturalization, the alien surrenders their green card, their alien status, and their alien number. Unlike Mexico, the US does not recognize 2nd class citizens. A US citizen, whether born or naturalized, is a US citizen, and US citizens do not have an alien number anymore.

Proof me wrong with a source.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

US citizens may not have an A number anymore, but they have one tied to them because their naturalization application had to be submitted on the basis of their permanent residency, which by default gives them an A number.

Is the A number relevant to the new US citizen going forward? No. Does it make a naturalized US citizen different from a US born US citizen (as far as their rights, etc)? No.

SA4userbar.jpg

No argument here.

Still not proving me wrong. Show me it's required for a naturalized citizen to dig out his or her old A number and fill it in. I'll bet you can't do that and I'll bet nobody else can do that either. If it were required, USCIS would engage in a discriminatory practice, plain and simple.

This field is for one purpose only: if the petitioning spouse is an LPR but not a citizen. For that very reason proof of citizenship can be provided by birth certificate, naturalization certificate, and passport, the latter one giving no clue to the duration of citizenship at all.

Hence, citizens leave the field open, LPRs fill in their A number.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Timeline

If the form requests the A number I honestly don't see why it is such a big deal about providing it. The application clearly states 'Information about the Spouse or Parent Through Whom you gained Your Conditional Residence". It asks for family name, first name, middle name, address, DOB, SSN (if any) and A-Number (if any). No where does it state - only if your spouse is an LPR do you fill out the A-number. It states, if any. As a Naturalized US citizen you still have an A number, therefore you include it. The instructions state: 3. Answer all questions fully and accurately. state that an item is not applicable with "N/A"; If the answer is none, write 'None"

Following those instructions there is no option for leaving the Spousal A number blank. It is either not applicable or none. Since there is an A number, it is neither of those options, so the person writes in their spouse's A number whether they are a naturalized US citizen or an LPR. In fact, writing N/A or none could be considered misrepresentation, and we all know how USCIS feels about that!

It also wouldn't be the first time that USCIS has engaged in discriminatory practices, either - why should that surprise you?

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I disagree. You're either an alien or a citizen. You can't be both !

If the form requests the A number I honestly don't see why it is such a big deal about providing it. The application clearly states 'Information about the Spouse or Parent Through Whom you gained Your Conditional Residence". It asks for family name, first name, middle name, address, DOB, SSN (if any) and A-Number (if any). No where does it state - only if your spouse is an LPR do you fill out the A-number. It states, if any. As a Naturalized US citizen you still have an A number, therefore you include it. The instructions state: 3. Answer all questions fully and accurately. state that an item is not applicable with "N/A"; If the answer is none, write 'None"

Following those instructions there is no option for leaving the Spousal A number blank. It is either not applicable or none. Since there is an A number, it is neither of those options, so the person writes in their spouse's A number whether they are a naturalized US citizen or an LPR. In fact, writing N/A or none could be considered misrepresentation, and we all know how USCIS feels about that!

It also wouldn't be the first time that USCIS has engaged in discriminatory practices, either - why should that surprise you?

AOS/EAD/I-130 timeline

7/12/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 filed

7/15/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 arrived in Chicago

7/23/2007 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/I-130

7/25/2007 AOS/EAD/I-130 TOUCHED

7/27/2007 NOA1 for AOS/EAD/I-130 in the mail

8/15/2007 RFE Birth Certificate

8/24/2007 RFE Sent

8/27/2007 Biometrics Scheduled for 9/19/2007

8/31/2007 I-485 Touched

9/04/2007 I-485 Touched

9/19/2007 Biometrics

9/26/2007 EAD Approved (76 days)

10/04/2007 EAD Received

10/05/2007 Applied for a Social Security Card.

10/09/2007 Interview Scheduled for 11/15/2007

10/17/2007 Social Security Card Received

11/15/2007 Stoked on first interivew. Got everything right but officer had a problem with age difference.

04/14/2008 Stokes interview. Approved in less than 5 mins with no questions asked.

04/17/2008 Card Production Ordered.

04/22/2008 Received Green Card.

Kat,

I have the highest respect for you, but here I disagree: you are either a US citizen or an alien. US citizens don't have A numbers. It really is that simple.

"What's your citizenship status, maaam?" I'm a US citizen, Officer." What's your Alien number then? You've got to be kidding me . . .

Edited by Just Bob

Filed: Other Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

May be this will help

What is the A# and the Alien Registration Number? Are they the same thing?

Yes, these are two terms for the same thing. The A# is a case number that USCIS assigns to certain people, and then

(usually, for exceptions see below) stays with you for the rest of your life, much like a Social Security Number. Most

people get their A# when they apply for adjustment of status. It is also assigned if you apply for an employment

authorization document (such as an F-1 OPT), a V visa, find yourself in deportation proceedings, and in a number of

other situations.

Many USCIS forms ask for the A#. If you do not have one yet, simply write "None".

There actually are four separate types of A#. You can tell them apart by the number of digits and the first digit. The first

kind is an eight-digit A#. These are manually assigned at local offices. If you have one of these numbers, simply treated it

as if it was "0" plus the number. Nine-digit A#'s that start with the digit 1 are used for employment authorization cards,

usually related to students. Nine-digit A#'s that start with the digit 3 are used for fingerprint tracking of V visa applicants.

All other nine-digit A#'s (these actually always start with a 0) are permanent A#'s and remain permanently with you for

life.

Therefore, the rule is: if you are asked for an A# and have one, always give this A#, regardless of whether it starts with a

0, 1 or 3. If you have both a 0-A# and a 1-A# or a 3-A#, then use the one that starts with a 0.

AOS

July 21st 2006 - I130, I485, and I765 Filed

Aug 10th 2006 - NOA for I485, I765 & I130 received

Aug 14th 2006 - Biometric appointment date for I485 and I765 received

Aug 21st 2006 - Biometrics taken (DAY 31)

Aug 31st 2006 - Received interview notice via mail

Oct 17th 2006 - EAD Approved (DAY 88)

Oct 27th 2006 - Interview (DAY 98)

Oct 27th 2006 - Pending FBI background check

Dec 20th 2006 - Recieved RFE for joint Sponsor

Feb 10th 2007 - Mailed RFE for joint sponsor

Feb 12th 2007 - RFE recieved at USCIS

Mar 23rd 2007 - Recieved RFE for original signature for joint sponsor

Mar 27th 2007 - Mailed RFE

Mar 29th 2007 - RFE received at USCIS

Jun 28th 2007 - INFOPASS appontment

Jul 6th 2007 - mailed I765 renewal

Jul 8th 2007 - USCIS received I765 renewal

Jul 20th 2007 - NOA for I765 renewal

Dec 24th 2007 - NOA 2nd Biometric appointment date for I485 and I765 received

Jan 09th 2008 - 2nd Biometrics for I485 and I765

Mar 12th 2008 received green card approval notice

Mar 21st 2008 received green card

Removal of Conditions Timeline

01/13/2010 ... mailed I-751 packet to CSC

01/14/2010 ... delivered to CSC

01/19/2010 ... check cashed

02/01/2010 ... received Biometrics notice

02/17/2010 ... Biometrics appointment

02/25/2010 ... INFOPASS app. I-551 stamped on passport

03/11/2010 ... Green card approved

Timeline

My US citizenship Certificate has my A number on it. If, as a US citizen I no longer have an A number then it would not be recorded on the document. Since it is, obviously, I do. US citizens who obtain their citizenship through Naturalization do have an A number. There is one difference between Naturalized citizens and born citizens that make retaining the A number a reasonable expectation. Born citizens can never lose their citizenship. Naturalized citizens can under certain specific circumstances - many that relate to misrepresentation on their immigration files - thus, the naturalized US citizen is always going to be tied to their A number and their immigration file for the rest of their lives. So, if you've got it, use it.

No argument here.

Still not proving me wrong. Show me it's required for a naturalized citizen to dig out his or her old A number and fill it in. I'll bet you can't do that and I'll bet nobody else can do that either. If it were required, USCIS would engage in a discriminatory practice, plain and simple.

This field is for one purpose only: if the petitioning spouse is an LPR but not a citizen. For that very reason proof of citizenship can be provided by birth certificate, naturalization certificate, and passport, the latter one giving no clue to the duration of citizenship at all.

Hence, citizens leave the field open, LPRs fill in their A number.

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I was just stating what (to me) seems to be the obvious.

But if you want an argument, by all means keep it up - I'm sure someone will have one with you! :lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.