kristinakiko

How much should we have saved up?

7 posts in this topic

We've just started the K1 process, we are about to start filling out forms. This is my first post I've got a question (many more to come!). My fiance is British, I'm American, and we live in Tokyo so I do not have a job in the US now. We'll both be actively pursuing jobs as the time comes closer to our departure from Japan. We will have saved up around 15k so even though we'll probably be unemployed should my dad cosponsor him? I don't want the K1 to be rejected on the grounds of unemployement in the US. I haven't lived there in about 3 years. If we need to save up more that's totally doable. Thanks!

10-25-07: Met in Tokyo at a party

11-01-07: I like you. Do you like me? Let's get together!

04-??-08: Moved in together

09-??-08: He proposed!

03-08-10: Got married in Tokyo at the ward office (just the two of us)

03-22-10: I-130 appointment in Tokyo

04-14-10: I-130 cleared, received letter in mail

06-07-10: Final interview... Approved!

06-08-10: CR-1 Visa and mysterious brown envelope of power received... they are fast!

09-30-10: POE at LAX. That official sure was rude!

10-20-10: Received Permanent Residency card (w/conditions).

10-30-10: Wedding in front of family and friends in Los Angeles

11-15-10: Moved to San Francisco

07-??-12: Applied to remove conditions on green card

12-27-12: Moved to Los Angeles

03-07-13: ROC approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
We've just started the K1 process, we are about to start filling out forms. This is my first post I've got a question (many more to come!). My fiance is British, I'm American, and we live in Tokyo so I do not have a job in the US now. We'll both be actively pursuing jobs as the time comes closer to our departure from Japan. We will have saved up around 15k so even though we'll probably be unemployed should my dad cosponsor him? I don't want the K1 to be rejected on the grounds of unemployement in the US. I haven't lived there in about 3 years. If we need to save up more that's totally doable. Thanks!

When using assets, you need a ratio of at least 3:1 (assets:income). If 125% of the poverty level income for a family of 2 is $20K, then you need $60K. Look up the poverty level guidlelines (I-864-P) and do the math. I will tell you $15K is well short of the need.

YMMV

Ok, so I'm gonna need my dad to co-sponsor to show we have financial support. I assume this is done on the I-134 Affidavit of Support form. So, possibly a stupid question, but should my dad be filling out this form since he is the one that will be providing the basis of financial support in the eyes of the government with our savings and job applications as secondary back up? I gathered from another thread that the I-134 should be brought to my fiance's interview, should we attach my dad's tax returns as well as our savings account statements? Is there a form earlier on in the process that expresses our intent to use my dad as financial co-sponsor?

(Sorry for the barrage of questions, I really feel this is the only thing that will hold us back from getting a K1 so I'm nervous.)

06-08-10: CR-1 Visa and mysterious brown envelope of power received... they are fast!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, if he is the cosponsor, he must provide his info on the 134 submitted for cosponsor.. you will also complete 1.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your "backup" will not matter. For the I-134 it is a single person's eligibility that is evaluated. Your fiance(e) will present the petitioner's (your) I-134 along with any co-sponsor's I-134 at the interview. Each affidavit must have all needed documents.

Look at the I-864P for the required income levels. Dad's household count will be his plus your fiance(e). If he files a joint tax return he will complete the I-134 for only his income, not the combined income. He can use the joint tax return when submitting documents.

Have you been filing US taxes while in Japan? If not, go ahead and get that taken care of. It will need to be addressed further along at the adjustment of status step, which occurs after you marry in the US.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thanks for the info. I will make sure my fiance brings two I-134 forms, dad's and mine, as well as tax documents with him to the interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Thanks for the info. I will make sure my fiance brings two I-134 forms, dad's and mine, as well as tax documents with him to the interview.

What about the AOS filing fees? Can you afford that? And, living expenses and lots more once they get here?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.