Andy and Kayla

I-129f forms questions

10 posts in this topic

This may be a little long-winded but we were starting to fill out I-129f form and the G-325a forms and just had some clarification questions and questions about the proper format for some of these answers.

For the I-129f:

Part B, question 9 - we've come to understand A# refers to alien registration number or something similar. It also is asked for on the G-325a form. I don't have one of these?

Part A, question 10 - for a birth certificate, is there a specific format to fill this out? We have it written in the box as, "number, August xx, 19xx, City, KY" (though obviously with the information filled in :P) Is that the proper way to fill it out or are they looking for mm/dd/yyyy for the date or for the full state name instead of the abbreviation or does it not matter and I'm just overthinking it?

Actually, that goes for any date they ask for where the form doesn't specify mm/dd/yyyy format.

Also, for any question that doesn't apply to us, do I type N/A or none or just leave those fields blank?

Part B, question 18 - how much detail are they looking for here? We have it filled out as "We met online in early 2009. Began talking on the phone in September 2009. Met in for the first time in late October 2009 and were together in December 2009 and January 2010." which I feel is a little short but what sort of answers have you guys given in terms of detail?

And for the G-325a:

For any questions asking for the City and Country, do I also add in the province or state or just City Name, Country Name? For example, for my date of birth I have it typed as Brantford, Canada. Would I leave it like that or change it to Brantford, ON, Canada or Brantford, Ontario, Canada?

Similarly, for people familiar with writing American addresses, is it formally supposed to be written as US, United States or USA? We believe it's USA but just wanted to double check.

The same question as above for the I-129f form, is there a specific way to write dates if it doesn't specify mm/dd/yyyy?

Under fields that say "if none, so state" do I need to type "none" into every field or just the first one for each section?

"Applicant's last address outside of the United States of more than 1 year:" - this doesn't apply for Andy but for myself I'm a little unsure what to put here because my current address in Canada, I have lived at for less than a year but by the time this is processed it may hit the one-year mark. So should I write my current address in anticipation of that or write my address before that?

For the employment section, I'm having trouble fitting the full name as well as the address into that box. I know I could just print it out and handwrite the answers, but even then I feel like it's a small area to fit all of that information and it would be squeezed anyway. How have some of you guys filled out this part? Also, Andy works from home so should we just give the main office address for his company? Do they need a street address or just city/state?

We've been having the same problem on the field for the date and place of previous marriage/termination of marriage. They're tiny fields. :(

"This form is submitted in connection with an application for:" would we check off "Status as Permanent Resident" or "Other" and write K1 Visa Application (or if not that, what should we write there? I-129f package?)

Anyway, if you took the time to read and help us out, thank you so so much. I realize a lot of these are little things and may not actually matter but we just wanted to be sure - I've heard sometimes you need to be very, very specific with these forms and neither of us has done this before. :)

Edited to add: Also, for previous address/employment sections, under the month column, does it matter if we write, for example, Aug or 08?

Edited by Andy and Kayla

Our Journey

The Beginning

Early 2009 -- Met on WoW

September 2009 -- Fell in love

May 14 2010 - Officially engaged! smile.png

K1 Journey

September 17, 2010 - NOA1

March 14, 2011 - RFE

April 18, 2011 - NOA2

August 12, 2011 - Interview - Approved!

August 20, 2011 - POE

September 10, 2011 - Married!

AOS Journey

November 17, 2011 - AOS packet sent

November 21, 2011 - NOA1

December 14, 2011 - Case transferred

December 28, 2011 - Biometrics appt

January 18, 2012 - EAD/AP approved! Card production ordered!

January 28, 2012 - EAD/AP card in hand

July 2, 2012 - AOS approved! Card production ordered!

July 7, 2012 - GC in hand

Removal of Conitions

April 29, 2014 - Packet sent

May 6, 2014 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

For the I-129f:

Part B, question 9 - we've come to understand A# refers to alien registration number or something similar. It also is asked for on the G-325a form. I don't have one of these?

NONE

Part A, question 10 - for a birth certificate, is there a specific format to fill this out? We have it written in the box as, "number, August xx, 19xx, City, KY" (though obviously with the information filled in :P) Is that the proper way to fill it out or are they looking for mm/dd/yyyy for the date or for the full state name instead of the abbreviation or does it not matter and I'm just overthinking it?

Question 10, if birth, the next is blank (refers to naturalization #)

Actually, that goes for any date they ask for where the form doesn't specify mm/dd/yyyy format.

Also, for any question that doesn't apply to us, do I type N/A or none or just leave those fields blank? I followed the guides exactly

Part B, question 18 - how much detail are they looking for here? We have it filled out as "We met online in early 2009. Began talking on the phone in September 2009. Met in for the first time in late October 2009 and were together in December 2009 and January 2010." which I feel is a little short but what sort of answers have you guys given in terms of detail?

We completed a separate page for this. For the answer to 18B: See I-129F Supplement: Part B, Question 18: Has your fiancé(e) met and seen you within the two-year period immediately preceding the filing of this petition?

I-129F Supplement: Part B, Question 18: Has your fiancé(e) met and seen you within the two-year period immediately preceding the filing of this petition?

was the title of the typed paper where we answered this question

And for the G-325a:

For any questions asking for the City and Country, do I also add in the province or state or just City Name, Country Name? For example, for my date of birth I have it typed as Brantford, Canada. Would I leave it like that or change it to Brantford, ON, Canada or Brantford, Ontario, Canada?

We only used city and country

Similarly, for people familiar with writing American addresses, is it formally supposed to be written as US, United States or USA? We believe it's USA but just wanted to double check.

That's what I used

The same question as above for the I-129f form, is there a specific way to write dates if it doesn't specify mm/dd/yyyy? I used mm/dd/yyyy (must have been that way in the guides)

Under fields that say "if none, so state" do I need to type "none" into every field or just the first one for each section? guides

"Applicant's last address outside of the United States of more than 1 year:" - this doesn't apply for Andy but for myself I'm a little unsure what to put here because my current address in Canada, I have lived at for less than a year but by the time this is processed it may hit the one-year mark. So should I write my current address in anticipation of that or write my address before that? I read that ? as if you have lived outside the US for more than a year, what is that last address. For us, it was a non-issue, he had been at the same address for more than a year anyway.

For the employment section, I'm having trouble fitting the full name as well as the address into that box. I know I could just print it out and handwrite the answers, but even then I feel like it's a small area to fit all of that information and it would be squeezed anyway. How have some of you guys filled out this part? Also, Andy works from home so should we just give the main office address for his company? Do they need a street address or just city/state? You can create a supplement form for this too if necessary. we used just cities. I used Main address for the large company I work for.

We've been having the same problem on the field for the date and place of previous marriage/termination of marriage. They're tiny fields. :(

"This form is submitted in connection with an application for:" would we check off "Status as Permanent Resident" or "Other" and write K1 Visa Application (or if not that, what should we write there? I-129f package?) Other I-129F Petition (from the guides)

Anyway, if you took the time to read and help us out, thank you so so much. I realize a lot of these are little things and may not actually matter but we just wanted to be sure - I've heard sometimes you need to be very, very specific with these forms and neither of us has done this before. :)

Edited to add: Also, for previous address/employment sections, under the month column, does it matter if we write, for example, Aug or 08? We followed the guides.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

This may be a little long-winded but we were starting to fill out I-129f form and the G-325a forms and just had some clarification questions and questions about the proper format for some of these answers.

For the I-129f:

Yes, the A# is your Alien Registration number - if you've previously been issued a visa, you probably have one. If not, you should put NONE.

You can download the G-325A form here:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-325a.pdf

Follow the mm/dd/yyyy format. I believe in some of the forms we used dd month yyyy (e.g. 01 January 2010) in the signature parts. It's probably better to follow just one format though - to keep things uniform.

Also, for any question that doesn't apply to us, do I type N/A or none or just leave those fields blank?

Do NOT leave anything blank. Type NONE or N/A depending on the question.

That's pretty much how we filled out ours - on a separate sheet and we ended the statement saying how our relationship has grown and we want to spend the rest of our lives together.

And for the G-325a:

You can probably just leave it as city and country.

You can use United States or USA. :)

The same question as above for the I-129f form, is there a specific way to write dates if it doesn't specify mm/dd/yyyy?

Stick with the same format you've started using - for example, if you've been using mm/dd/yyyy, don't use dd/mm/yyyy

Under fields that say "if none, so state" do I need to type "none" into every field or just the first one for each section?

Do NOT leave anything blank. Type None or N/A depending on the question.

"Applicant's last address outside of the United States of more than 1 year:" - this doesn't apply for Andy but for myself I'm a little unsure what to put here because my current address in Canada, I have lived at for less than a year but by the time this is processed it may hit the one-year mark. So should I write my current address in anticipation of that or write my address before that?

Write the address that you've actually lived in for more than a year at the date of filing - there's a part for the "present address" so that shouldn't be a problem.

For the employment section, I'm having trouble fitting the full name as well as the address into that box. I know I could just print it out and handwrite the answers, but even then I feel like it's a small area to fit all of that information and it would be squeezed anyway. How have some of you guys filled out this part? Also, Andy works from home so should we just give the main office address for his company? Do they need a street address or just city/state?

you should probably use a separate page for this and just attach it to the form because it asks for full name and address of employer.

We just filled in this form by hand because too many fields were too small.

"This form is submitted in connection with an application for:" would we check off "Status as Permanent Resident" or "Other" and write K1 Visa Application (or if not that, what should we write there? I-129f package?)

write "I-129F PETITION"

I felt exactly the same way when we filed our I-129F so ask away! With these things, you can never be too careful ;)

Edited to add: Also, for previous address/employment sections, under the month column, does it matter if we write, for example, Aug or 08?

I think we wrote the words here - "JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH APRIL MAY... etc."

Edited by Fatima and Jim

F & J

I-130 / IR-5 TIMELINE (Petition for Mother)

2016/11/14 — I-130 sent via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-Day

2016/11/15 — I-130 delivered at 11:20 am in PHOENIX, AZ 85034 to BANK ONE, signed for by J LOPEZ; Priority Date  |  2016/11/17 Receipt Date

2016/11/18 I-797C Notice Date; USCIS Acceptance Confirmation Email, case routed to Nebraska Service Center  |  2016/11/21I-797C Postmark

2017/01/18 I-797 Approval Notice Date  |  2017/01/19I-797 Postmark  |  2017/01/23 I-797 Approval Notice hard copy received

Thanks so much, this definitely helped. :)

We just still need some clarification on:

Part A, question 10 - for a birth certificate, is there a specific format to fill this out? We have it written in the box as, "number, mm/dd/yyyy, City, KY". Is that the proper way to fill it out or are they looking for mm/dd/yyyy for the date or for the full state name instead of the abbreviation or does it not matter and I'm just overthinking it?

Re: not leaving things blank. That was definitely something we were wondering. Just to clarify again, for example the section on any children coming with me, there are 12 fields (for names, dates of birth, country of residence, etc). Since I don't have any children and this doesn't apply to me, do I need to write "None" or "N/A" in all 12 of those fields or would writing "None" under just the first one be sufficient?

you should probably use a separate page for this and just attach it to the form because it asks for full name and address of employer.

So in that field would we just write "See attached document" or something? And would we need to add that supplementary sheet to the list on the cover letter?

Also, I am still curious about how whether or not they need a street address for Andy or just the city and state of the main office.

Ooh, and I forgot, do we even need to write "None" or "N/A" for fields like, for example, "Have you ever filed for this or any other alien fiancé(e)

or husband/wife before?" Since we would be checking off the "No" box, does that mean we shouldn't write anything then or does the "don't leave anything blank" rule still apply even if the form asks you if it's applicable?

Edited by Andy and Kayla

Our Journey

The Beginning

Early 2009 -- Met on WoW

K1 Journey

March 14, 2011 - RFE

April 18, 2011 - NOA2

August 20, 2011 - POE

AOS Journey

November 21, 2011 - NOA1

Removal of Conitions

May 6, 2014 - NOA1

I hate to spam but we really just need a little bit of advice from someone who has done this. :)

Our Journey

The Beginning

Early 2009 -- Met on WoW

K1 Journey

March 14, 2011 - RFE

April 18, 2011 - NOA2

August 20, 2011 - POE

AOS Journey

November 21, 2011 - NOA1

Removal of Conitions

May 6, 2014 - NOA1

Part A, question 10 - for a birth certificate, is there a specific format to fill this out? We have it written in the box as, "number, mm/dd/yyyy, City, KY". Is that the proper way to fill it out or are they looking for mm/dd/yyyy for the date or for the full state name instead of the abbreviation or does it not matter and I'm just overthinking it?

You do not need to include the birth certificate numbers for citizenship through birth, only if you checked naturalisation for this. You are including a copy of either the USC's birth certificate or complete passport to prove citizenship. Any USC who gained their status through naturalisation would only have their certificate to prove their right to petition.

Re: not leaving things blank. That was definitely something we were wondering. Just to clarify again, for example the section on any children coming with me, there are 12 fields (for names, dates of birth, country of residence, etc). Since I don't have any children and this doesn't apply to me, do I need to write "None" or "N/A" in all 12 of those fields or would writing "None" under just the first one be sufficient?

No, just complete it once.

So in that field would we just write "See attached document" or something? And would we need to add that supplementary sheet to the list on the cover letter?

Give the document a name or number and then use that name or number at the top of the sheet itself. i.e. See Appendix A. On the sheet write Appendix A and then the question number and words underneath that. On mine, I centered and made bold the sheet 'title'.

Also, I am still curious about how whether or not they need a street address for Andy or just the city and state of the main office.

Yes, they need the full address of the company that employs him. There could be several companies with the same name in the same city, as in 'Smith's' the bakers or 'Smith's' the plumbing firm.

Ooh, and I forgot, do we even need to write "None" or "N/A" for fields like, for example, "Have you ever filed for this or any other alien fiancé(e)

or husband/wife before?" Since we would be checking off the "No" box, does that mean we shouldn't write anything then or does the "don't leave anything blank" rule still apply even if the form asks you if it's applicable?

If you've answered No to a question that Yes requires additional information, then you do not need to complete the additional information box.

Someone mentioned the guides, but their reply wasn't easy to follow because they didn't make the difference between their answers and your questions stand out. Here's the link.

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
I hate to spam but we really just need a little bit of advice from someone who has done this. :)

I followed the Example Forms.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Thanks so much, guys :)

One last thing - we were a little confused by question 12 on the I-129f as if I am with him when we send this, I probably won't have an I-94 as they don't usually give them to us Canadians for just a visit. We aren't completely sure on when we can send this due to some other circumstances but in the event that I am with him when we do is it okay to just leave the I-94 number blank and for the date my authorized stay would be expired, would I just put in the date on my return ticket?

Oh, and for my basic information on the I-129f, where it asks for "State/Country" do I need to write ON/Canada or are they looking for just "Canada"?

Edited by Andy and Kayla

Our Journey

The Beginning

Early 2009 -- Met on WoW

K1 Journey

March 14, 2011 - RFE

April 18, 2011 - NOA2

August 20, 2011 - POE

AOS Journey

November 21, 2011 - NOA1

Removal of Conitions

May 6, 2014 - NOA1

Also, do we both need to sign the cover letter or just the petitioner?

Our Journey

The Beginning

Early 2009 -- Met on WoW

K1 Journey

March 14, 2011 - RFE

April 18, 2011 - NOA2

August 20, 2011 - POE

AOS Journey

November 21, 2011 - NOA1

Removal of Conitions

May 6, 2014 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Also, do we both need to sign the cover letter or just the petitioner?

As the petitioner, I signed the cover letter, and only had my fiance sign the G-325A and letter of intent. Also, on the I-129F, for State/Country (for the fiance) I only put down his country. Good luck finishing up these forms.

11/29/2010 Sent AOS package
12/10/2010 NOA1
01/07/2011 AOS transfer to CSC
01/11/2011 Biometrics
2/08/2011 AOS approved
2/22/2011 Green card in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.