sivad

pre aos question

133 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
There's a reason the system is like it is. The first step, filing the I-129F, is with USCIS to determine eligibility and perform background checks. You pay USCIS for this service, and this service only.

The second part of the process is done by the State Department to issue a Visa. You pay the State Department for this service, and this service only.

The third part of the process is done by USCIS, and it's to determine eligibility to adjust status. You pay USCIS for this service, and this service only.

How on earth could the process be simplified by sending a large chunk of money to (presumably) USCIS, who would then have to pay the State Department, and then refund the AOS portion if things didn't work out for you? That would be a pretty major accounting change, and it would probably result in increased fees.

Of all the parts that are screwed up in this system, the division of duties (and payments for each) are the parts that actually do work. And a nice side benefit is that it lets you start the filing process faster if you're not lucky enough to have a few thousand dollars just lying around when you decide to file an I-129F.

I do not think that it is necessary to "pre-pay" for future services, but the government should require everyone petitioning for a K-1 visa to guarantee the funds, at least for AOS, plus an extra for extra charges, like a new medical. Something like an escrow account that cannot be accessed unless the government authorizes the bank to return the money after the foreign citizen leaves the country if AOS is not going to happen.

A measure like that will also decrease the number of illegals who stay even though they are not legally allowed to stay, because the USC will have an incentive to work with the government to make sure that the non-USC goes home. Of course, there needs to be provisions for abusive USCs ... maybe that extra money can be used to pay for remedial processes on certain cases.

And regarding credit, I think that credit has its benefits if it is used with measure. But I applaud those who manage their whole lives only with cash.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I do not think that it is necessary to "pre-pay" for future services, but the government should require everyone petitioning for a K-1 visa to guarantee the funds, at least for AOS, plus an extra for extra charges, like a new medical. Something like an escrow account that cannot be accessed unless the government authorizes the bank to return the money after the foreign citizen leaves the country if AOS is not going to happen.

And you're fine with the huge increase in filing fees that such administrative overhead would incur? You're talking about creating an accounting infrastructure, creating a new IT infrastructure, hiring accountants to run it, training them, managing scheduled payments, mailings for late/delinquent payments, and all the other ####### that comes with such a system. Personally, if I'm going to pay increased filing fees, I'd rather existing processes be improved/updated.

A measure like that will also decrease the number of illegals who stay even though they are not legally allowed to stay, because the USC will have an incentive to work with the government to make sure that the non-USC goes home.

I don't understand...are you saying that as an incentive, the USC should forefeit any money in the "escrow" account if she decides to overstay without marrying? That's WAY beyond USCIS's jurisdiction. Why is it the USC's responsibility to police his ex-fiancee's exit from the country? The border agents are very clear when she enters that she has 90 days to marry or she must leave. Come to think of it, the consulate tells her the same thing. Once the 90 days is over, she's no longer your responsibility. If she decides to stay in the country, well she's an adult, and she knows the consequences. I shouldn't have to pay just because she decides to become a criminal, and it shouldn't be my job to help track her down so that USCIS will refund my AOS prepayment.

Of course, there needs to be provisions for abusive USCs ... maybe that extra money can be used to pay for remedial processes on certain cases.

I want my filing fees to go towards a visa and AOS, not social services. I already pay taxes for police to investigate domestic abuse, and for immigration to round up overstayers. If they're underfunded and not able to do their job, then maybe we should raise taxes. But our filing fees need to go towards what we paid for, not more bureaucracy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Planning and acting like a responsible adult is a good thing, and I'm glad we have the freedom to make that choice. More government mucking about with the process is a bad thing. The government can have my money when we file, not before.

You are right. And to avoid making a huge new beauracracy, just add the $1010 AOS fee to the petition fee (for each name on the petition) and be done with it, AOS included. If you do not go through with it, you forfeit the money. Seems to work OK for the petition, you don't get the money back if you back out then either. Then they can get your money when you file, as you wish.

Green card scammers and traffickers would absolutely love that process.

Why? How would paying more up front help scammers? They are still subject top the same rules and risk more if they are denied.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
There's a reason the system is like it is. The first step, filing the I-129F, is with USCIS to determine eligibility and perform background checks. You pay USCIS for this service, and this service only.

The second part of the process is done by the State Department to issue a Visa. You pay the State Department for this service, and this service only.

The third part of the process is done by USCIS, and it's to determine eligibility to adjust status. You pay USCIS for this service, and this service only.

How on earth could the process be simplified by sending a large chunk of money to (presumably) USCIS, who would then have to pay the State Department, and then refund the AOS portion if things didn't work out for you? That would be a pretty major accounting change, and it would probably result in increased fees.

Of all the parts that are screwed up in this system, the division of duties (and payments for each) are the parts that actually do work. And a nice side benefit is that it lets you start the filing process faster if you're not lucky enough to have a few thousand dollars just lying around when you decide to file an I-129F.

Try to follow along Mox.

I suggest including the AOS fee with the petition fee (BOTH paid to USCIS). The consulates (state department) can still collect their pound of flesh for the visa, I never mentioned the visa fee and neither did anyone else. A couple years ago the USCIS combined the AP and EAD fees into the AOS fee, even though not everyne wants or needs an EAD or AP, seems to work Ok for the vast majority of people. Why not combine the petition fee and AOS fee together?

I have yet to see a thread saying "We haven't applied for a visa because we can't pay the $131 visa fee" Yet we see, daily, threads where the AOS fee has stopped people from filing AOS. No it hasn't. This is BS, pure and simple. They NEED to pay the $131 and the $455 to get what they want...their "main squeeze" to the USA. Now they are here and, no kidding!, the AOS is "optional" as to when they file so they do the irresponsible thing and put it off which causes problems for their (supposed) "signifgant other".

There is no reason the fees could not be combined easily and eliminate this problem. Nothing would change in qualification procedures.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
After 5 pages of reading and shaking my head, I feel compelled to chime in.

I'm a firm believer in living within one's means. I always saved and continue to save for a rainy day, have an 8-month emergency fund in my money market account and additional investments beyond that. I never owned a new car in my life, never will, but have 7 vehicles. My fun daily driver is a 1962 Volvo PV544 with 300K+ miles that I will use for the rest of my life. I love it! I also have an older Mercedes Diesel sedan with now 186K miles (the family car) that should serve me for the rest of my life, and I have a Cummins-Diesel-powered pickup (a 1-Million mile engine) with 201K miles that will outlast me by decades.

I never financed anything (save for real estate), never bought or buy anything I can't afford to pay for right away. That's what I learned from my parents, and that is one of the greatest gifts they gave me. Our 20 year-old daughter is in college now and works at Starbucks part-time. Of the meager, minimum wage paycheck she gets, 15% goes into her savings account. If she keeps that up, she will be able to retire early as a multi-millionaire.

It sadens me that many people are financially irresponsible and then wonder why they didn't get anywhere in life, while sitting in front of their financed, 50" big screen TV and trying to make the lease payments for their late model car with blingi 20" chrome wheels. Don't give into the lure of clever advertising that wants you to get stuff now and pay for it later, or whenever!

No matter how much or how little you make, spend less and save 10 to 15% and you will get somewhere, eventually. Sam Walton, the founder of WalMart, drove a rusty, old pickup to work when he already was a Billionaire and Warren Buffet, one of the richest man on this planet still lives in the moderate home he bought decades ago.

Before I got married, I was sure I can provide for a family. Everything else I consider irresponsible, often due to young age and "feeling" in love, but it doesn't change the fact that importing a foreign spouse with no money to even go through the necessary process to get her settled in as a lawful permanent resident, able to work and to travel internationally, is just plain irresponsible and selfish.

Think about it!

:thumbs:

And one of things I cherish about Alla is she is the same way! If we can't write a check for it, or pull the cash out of our pocket, we don't need it!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
:thumbs:

And one of things I cherish about Alla is she is the same way! If we can't write a check for it, or pull the cash out of our pocket, we don't need it!

And call me a kid or whatnot, but I do not share that sentiment.

Given I've only made 1 big purchase in my life just for fun (yes, big effing TV), I saw no issues financing it at 0% for 18 months and paying it off in 4.

I could not afford it right away, but I could easily afford it in 4 payments.

It's all semantics in the end, but yeah, I wouldn't have put that purchase on a credit card that charges APR, for example.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Two of our acquaitances, very whjite Russian women, one a LPR and one legally here on a J1 visa were stopped and detained in St. Albans Vermont because they did not have their passport/green card with them.

That had nothing to do with filing AOS. Anyone can be detained for not having proper ID on their person.

1. AOS is part of the process, you knew that going in

Actually, no I didn't. I was one of the stupid people who thought I was done after the visa and marriage. Only after I'd sent the K-1 paperwork did I realize there was more to it.

3. You had 4-6 months to save the money before you got the visa

Was I supposed to be using the money I was saving for the plane ticket/new housing?

Therefore, if a man is making barely the required 125% over the poverty guidelines, he should think long and hard whether bringing a foreign lady to marry in the USA is the right thing to do.

"Back in my day" the lady could get AOS at the POE and, in theory, start working right away to help pay her own expenses.

if you cannot afford to get married and have a family....DON'T!!!!!!!!

I fully support a 125% law for any new child as well. In my world, you'd have to be licensed parents and then have to apply for a permit for each new kid. Kind of like a deer tag, I guess.

Our 20 year-old daughter is in college now and works at Starbucks part-time. Of the meager, minimum wage paycheck she gets, 15% goes into her savings account. If she keeps that up, she will be able to retire early as a multi-millionaire.

That's pretty admirable that she can pay her own way through school - housing, food, classes, books, etc., all the while saving 15% - while only working part time at Starbucks.

Where is this college, I think I should probably go there too! Sounds like a nice area if rent is that low and food is so cheap that one can completely survive on part time employment at Starbucks alone. - All the while saving 15%.

I have to ask though, why is she going to school if she's going to retire a multi-millionaire just from working part time at Starbucks?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
And call me a kid or whatnot, but I do not share that sentiment.

Given I've only made 1 big purchase in my life just for fun (yes, big effing TV), I saw no issues financing it at 0% for 18 months and paying it off in 4.

I could not afford it right away, but I could easily afford it in 4 payments.

It's all semantics in the end, but yeah, I wouldn't have put that purchase on a credit card that charges APR, for example.

You do not need to share my sentiments regarding credit. It is your money and your life and (hopefully) the money you make in the future, Spend it as you wish. I was agreeing with "Just Bob" and stating my personal belief and practice, it is not a comment on yours.

I am not a kid, my kids aren't even "kids". When Alla wanted a new sports car we wrote a check for it. Then again we don't even have a TV of any kind...not interesting.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
That had nothing to do with filing AOS. Anyone can be detained for not having proper ID on their person.

Actually, no I didn't. I was one of the stupid people who thought I was done after the visa and marriage. Only after I'd sent the K-1 paperwork did I realize there was more to it.

Was I supposed to be using the money I was saving for the plane ticket/new housing?

"Back in my day" the lady could get AOS at the POE and, in theory, start working right away to help pay her own expenses.

I fully support a 125% law for any new child as well. In my world, you'd have to be licensed parents and then have to apply for a permit for each new kid. Kind of like a deer tag, I guess.

That's pretty admirable that she can pay her own way through school - housing, food, classes, books, etc., all the while saving 15% - while only working part time at Starbucks.

Where is this college, I think I should probably go there too! Sounds like a nice area if rent is that low and food is so cheap that one can completely survive on part time employment at Starbucks alone. - All the while saving 15%.

I have to ask though, why is she going to school if she's going to retire a multi-millionaire just from working part time at Starbucks?

Taken in order...

1. It had everyhting to do with AOS and having the proper papers on hand. Your statement was it doesn't happen to Russians. It does. If one does not file for AOS one does not have the "proper ID" It happens to more and more people the closer you get to an international border, we have one right up the road.

2. I support your right to be stupid...at your expense. It does not change your obligations. Lack of prior planning on your part is not an urgency on my part.

3. I really don't care what money you were using. We sat down 8 months prior and did a plan of all our expenses (I wasn't ignorant of what oit would cost) and worked together accordingly to save the money needed, including the plane tickets to get her and the children here (so I did the AOS x 3) and all my visits there during the process. It was a priority and was no probem at all, PLUS purchased and remoceled an old home before she arrived. You can do whatever you decide to do.

4. Actually I do not support licensing for parents or any financial requirement for fiancees. You cannot legislate responsibility. Simply disqualify them from any federal aid and be done with it. I really don't hink you want government licensing of children Slim.

5. Not sure what you mean by AOS at POE. If you refer to the former "employment authorized" stamp that is not AOS and further, never applied to K-1s though the law was vague and could not be enforced until about a year ago. If the woman needs to work because you cannot support her, then the K-1 was always a bad choice, but you need to read the instructions to learn that.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey, it's working out pretty well for China. ;)

Mox you got to be joking!!! i know 2 many chinesse people and it dose not work out well!! so many forced abortions, and now there are not enough women for the young population coming up!! becasuse boys are prized over females!!

that is such a dumb answer.

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Filed: Timeline
Mox you got to be joking!!! i know 2 many chinesse people and it dose not work out well!! so many forced abortions, and now there are not enough women for the young population coming up!! becasuse boys are prized over females!!

that is such a dumb answer.

Which is why it was a joke. (it's why I put the smiley in)

Timeline

Dammit, I wish I was that smart when I went to college! If I only had saved up 15% of what I was making working part time slicing up hoagies I'd be retired now and all my $100K tuition would be paid in full

Oh my, oh my

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

1. It had everyhting to do with AOS and having the proper papers on hand. Your statement was it doesn't happen to Russians. It does. If one does not file for AOS one does not have the "proper ID" It happens to more and more people the closer you get to an international border, we have one right up the road.

Since one of them had filed for AOS, it shouldn't have happened to her then, right? In your example, neither woman had their ID with them. That has nothing to do with AOS or being Russian/Canadian/Mexican/American. It has to do with being unidentifiable at the time of stop.

If a woman was stopped but had a passport with a marriage cert. she would've been just fine. That is the law.

Saying it happens to Russians because you heard a story about two women who were carrying NO form of ID near the international border doesn't confirm anything about waiting to file for AOS causing problems.

2. I support your right to be stupid...at your expense. It does not change your obligations. Lack of prior planning on your part is not an urgency on my part.

How does me being stupid cause urgency on your part? (Or even directly relate to you at all?) If you're implying wating to file for AOS is akin to not meeting an obligation, you're incorrect. There is NO obligation to file for AOS. Let's also not forget that an adult person who is immigrating to a foreign country can be somewhat responsible for themselves without help from their sponsor. The burden is on the sponsor, but the beneficiary is still an adult - who is, in theory, quite capable of contributing to their own well being.

3. I really don't care what money you were using. We sat down 8 months prior and did a plan of all our expenses (I wasn't ignorant of what oit would cost) and worked together accordingly to save the money needed, including the plane tickets to get her and the children here (so I did the AOS x 3) and all my visits there during the process. It was a priority and was no probem at all, PLUS purchased and remoceled an old home before she arrived. You can do whatever you decide to do.

I couldn't find the "pat on the back" emoticon, but if they had one, it would be right here. Let's also keep in mind you didn't import an "average" MOB, your model has some miles on her.

I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, quite the opposite. I mean she has the ambition and drive to do it herself because she knows what she wants out of life and how to get it - probably even without you. Those of us with younger, less "life-savvy" MOBs didn't have the option of "halving" the process. Probably need another "pat on the back" emoticon here for your wise decision to buy a certified pre-owned model instead of one fresh off the assembly line.

4. Actually I do not support licensing for parents or any financial requirement for fiancees. You cannot legislate responsibility. Simply disqualify them from any federal aid and be done with it. I really don't hink you want government licensing of children Slim.

I want govt. licensing of anyone on federal aid. (Sterilization would be better.) Want to have kids? Awesome! Get a f'king job.

5. Not sure what you mean by AOS at POE. If you refer to the former "employment authorized" stamp that is not AOS and further, never applied to K-1s though the law was vague and could not be enforced until about a year ago. If the woman needs to work because you cannot support her, then the K-1 was always a bad choice, but you need to read the instructions to learn that.

Typo on my part. Yes, I meant EAD stamp and yes, it did apply to K-1s. As for the woman needing to work to support herself, I guess I just showed my progressive (read: liberal) side because I'm a firm believer in a woman working to supplement household expenses incurred because of her arrival. It's not a "gift" for me to support her, she can pull her own weight. She's an adult, afterall.

All this ####### about only importing a wife if you're rich enough to support her every whim is hogwash. She can show up and contribute as much as anyone else would be expected to contribute.

Dammit, I wish I was that smart when I went to college! If I only had saved up 15% of what I was making working part time slicing up hoagies I'd be retired now and all my $100K tuition would be paid in full

Yeah, I found it kind of odd that his daughter was able to pay for all that stuff - while still saving 15%.

You hear a lot of stories from people like that. "I don't understand why it's so hard for people to get by in this world. I mean, I did it. I worked my way through college and saved my money and now I'm taking care of all my responsibilities. I just don't see why everyone can't be like me. I mean, yeah, my dad helped me out a little bit, but I still worked and stuff."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Yeah, I found it kind of odd that his daughter was able to pay for all that stuff - while still saving 15%.

You hear a lot of stories from people like that. "I don't understand why it's so hard for people to get by in this world. I mean, I did it. I worked my way through college and saved my money and now I'm taking care of all my responsibilities. I just don't see why everyone can't be like me. I mean, yeah, my dad helped me out a little bit, but I still worked and stuff."

I think we fail at life, Slim. All along the answer was right there - just get a part-time job at Starbucks.

I'm regretting my career choice at this point :oops:

On another, non-sardonic note, I love the stories like you just wrote. Run into that type of sh!t all the time.

-----

And, hey, about MOBs - I love my demo-model :P

-----

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.