shawny

co sponsor is it better to????

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I wanted to know if it's best to try to submit your I-864 with your first choice as a co-sponsor (who would be my husband) on the I-864a and then if they deny resubmit with an additional co-sponsor or does that delay things considerably. I am in the process of getting up the courage to ask my dad but he may say no but in the chance he says yes is it best to have my husband as the co-sponsor and also submit my dad's info or wait to see if our first option is denied.

This is the hardest thing I have had to do is to ask my dad to co-sponsor so I want to know the quickest and easiest way to proceed,,,

Thanks so much!!!

Edited by shawny

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

The spouse (U.S. Citizen is always the primary sponsor) and if they are using the assets of the intending immigrant, then the spouse files WITH the US Citizens on the same 864.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
The spouse (U.S. Citizen is always the primary sponsor) and if they are using the assets of the intending immigrant, then the spouse files WITH the US Citizens on the same 864.

Hi Christeen,

Thanks again for coming to help. ;) It's great to see you again.. ;)

I am really confused because we don't live together nor do we have combined assets as even my bank wouldn't allow me to add him to my account unless he was a resident and had a social security number. And on the I-864 info on the USCIS site it says this:

"If you are using the income of persons in your household or dependents to qualify as a sponsor, you must also submit a separate Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, for each person whose income you will use."

He really doesn't have any assets left after his divorce. He had to sell his 3 properties during the seperation and pay his legal fees too and now pays $3,000 a month in support so I think he really only has $12,000 in his retirement and he has his children's education fund but can't be used. :(

I would be the primary sponsor but on the I864a it says a spouse can be a co-sponsor if they can show they will be keeping their income which he will as he is keeping his job in Canada due to his support obligations. ;)

Thanks again and if you can help me see something I am missing I appreciate it. :)

Have a great day!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.