DeeBee

Tourist visas for Russians

16 posts in this topic

I have a Russian friend that I'm desperately trying to convince to come visit. He's arguing that the visa process would be close to impossible, and since I have no idea, I thought I would ask...

Additionally, he lives in Switzerland - which means he could get the visa through the embassy there (which I imagine would be fairly easy in comparison to doing it in Russia).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have a Russian friend that I'm desperately trying to convince to come visit. He's arguing that the visa process would be close to impossible, and since I have no idea, I thought I would ask...

Additionally, he lives in Switzerland - which means he could get the visa through the embassy there (which I imagine would be fairly easy in comparison to doing it in Russia).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

If he qualifies for a visa then not so difficult... if he does not qualify then it is impossible

Each visa decision is determined individually based on the person's situation...

He can apply at the nearest US consulate to his current residence

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
Can you elaborate on that?

He needs to be able to demonstrate significant ties to his home country (or Switzerland) and that he is not an immigrant "risk". All visa applicants are assumed to have immigrant intent and he needs to be able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the CO that he will not immigrate when he visits. Some of the items that can be considered are mentioned in Mox's post

YMMV

Is he a Russian citizen or a Swiss citizen (or both)? How old is he? Does he own property and have a full-time job? What about family?

Russian citizen, Swiss resident. 27 years old, family owns a real estate business that he works for full time (with mom, dad, sister). Went to school in Switzerland... No military experience... Fairly wealthy...

Timeline
Russian citizen, Swiss resident. 27 years old, family owns a real estate business that he works for full time (with mom, dad, sister). Went to school in Switzerland... No military experience... Fairly wealthy...

Probably a better than average chance.... YMMV

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

If he's never had issues like a visa overstay in the US, then it sounds like he's got a pretty good chance of getting a tourist visa. At this point the only way to know for sure is for him to apply and attend the interview. He basically needs to convince the consulate that he's got ties in Switzerland that would keep him from overstaying illegally. Sounds like he meets that criteria.

If he's never had issues like a visa overstay in the US, then it sounds like he's got a pretty good chance of getting a tourist visa. At this point the only way to know for sure is for him to apply and attend the interview. He basically needs to convince the consulate that he's got ties in Switzerland that would keep him from overstaying illegally. Sounds like he meets that criteria.

Thanks for the help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My fiancee who was 30 at the time and not my fiancee yet applied for a tourist visa and got it with no problems. As long as he has significant social, financial, family ties and can prove it, he stands a good chance. That does not mean they will just give it to him, it just means he has a better chance then someone who had no ties to their country. He basically should demonstrate the absolute need to go back to Russia.

I wrote a letter of invitation to the consul explaining that she would be staying with me, and I would personally see to it she got on the plane back home to Russia. The consul said this was helpful. I do not think it is as hard as it once was to get a tourist visa in Russia these days. The one thing he kept saying to her over and over was "Make sure you do not get married while you are there.".

Good luck to you and your friend.

Edited by Chris_Жанна

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
If he qualifies for a visa then not so difficult... if he does not qualify then it is impossible

Each visa decision is determined individually based on the person's situation...

He can apply at the nearest US consulate to his current residence

Correct. It will help his cause if he is currently a permanent resident of Switzerland.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Can you elaborate on that?

He needs to be able to convince the consulate there is no risk of illegal immigration. The better the job he has, property, etc., the better his chances of getting a visa. If he shows a compelling reason to return to Russia or Switzerland (a good job, etc.) then he will get a visa. If he does not, he will not get a visa. Because he is (I presume) a legal resident of Switzerland, that would make him a lower risk of illegal immigration (Swiss citizens do not need visas at all) It helps his cause, but he still neds to qualify. There are no "cut and dried" things he needs to do, it is a judgement call by the consulate. The more evidence he has the better.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I respectively disagree based on my personal experiences, but I do think that it is easier to get a visitor visa for a resident of EU.

It's cool, that's what we're here for, to give an assortment of different perspectives. I'm sorry you had trouble getting a tourist visa.

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife's daughter recently (in December) got a visitor visa and came to spend the holidays with us. She is an attractive, 23 year old, unmarried woman, and they didn't even ask her one question at the "interview". She does have a good job and owns property. The only thing I provided was a letter of invitation (not required). Now, she does have a good track record, as she has been to the U.S. three times previously with no problems. I would guess her good record may have been a big factor in how easy it was to obtain this most recent visa, although her previous interview (a year earlier) experience was about the same. BTW, she asked for (and paid for) and received a two year visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.