newtica

Entering the US for the 1st Time

12 posts in this topic

My Costa Rican husband will get his Immigration Visa next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's never been to the U.S.

Does anyone know how long will it take for them to search and check him at the airport port-of-entry? Because there are no direct flights to Chicago, and we have to stop somewhere else in the US first. But how long will we need, if the airport is averagely busy? What do they need to do to check him?

My Costa Rican husband will get his Immigration Visa next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know how long will it take for them to search and check him at the airport port-of-entry? Because there are no direct flights to Chicago, and we have to stop somewhere else in the US first. But how long will we need, if the airport is averagely busy? What do they need to do to check him?

You should fly TACA, they fly to Chicago through El Salvador (or Guatemala). It's a very short layover (about 1 hr) and then he'll go through POE in Chicago. The only thing is that they don't fly every day, it's only about 4 days a week, at least that's the way it was last year. It's a very good airline by the way. I have flown them from JFK to San Jose (nonstop and through El Salvador) over 30 times without any problems.

www.taca.com

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hard to give a definitive answer as it depends on the aiport and the time of day....

YMMV

You should fly TACA, they fly to Chicago through El Salvador (or Guatemala). It's a very short layover (about 1 hr) and then he'll go through POE in Chicago. The only thing is that they don't fly every day, it's only about 4 days a week, at least that's the way it was last year. It's a very good airline by the way. I have flown them from JFK to San Jose (nonstop and through El Salvador) over 30 times without any problems.

www.taca.com

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking about doing this at first, but Spirit Air has complicated things...because they have a $150 flight right now through Fort Lauderdale (though at around 6 pm...worst time probably)....so $300 for the both of us or $800 or more on Taca (their prices have gone wayyy up). Ugh. I mean, he only immigrates once, so the extra money could be worth it.

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking about doing this at first, but Spirit Air has complicated things...because they have a $150 flight right now through Fort Lauderdale (though at around 6 pm...worst time probably)....so $300 for the both of us or $800 or more on Taca (their prices have gone wayyy up). Ugh. I mean, he only immigrates once, so the extra money could be worth it.

Oh, and the layover is 3 hours.

You need to read some message boards about Spirit. I have never flown them but my friends have (to/from Costa Rica). They are the worst. And if there's a problem (with overbooking, luggage, delay, etc), good luck getting somebody to listen or give you any answers. They may have the worst attitudes of any airline in the world.

I have flown Taca over 30 times and I like them. I would rathwer fly AA through Miami or Delta through Atlanta before Sprit through anywhere.

On Taca, you should NEVER buy a one-way fare. Most airlines charge more for one-way, but Taca charges a lot more. Makes you scratch your head. Spirit charges each way separately, so that's why it's still only $150.

Btw, you may be wondering about whether it's ok to book round-trip for him. It's ok for a one-time deal, but I wouldn't do it more than once (with the same airline), they can ban you. The airlines don't like it but there's really nothing they can do about it once. If he uses the first part of the ticket, and doesn't use the return, they will just cancel the second part of the ticket once he doesn't board and the plane takes off. We did it this way with my wife and kids when they came here. My wife has travelled with Taca twice since and no issues.

I just check some fares for you. I have the answer for you (if the dates work for you).

On Taca, there is a special fare to/from Chicago.

For you:

If you travelled Feb 8-12, it would cost you $188 + taxes ROUND-TRIP, $260 total.

For him:

Buy a RT ticket leaving Feb 12, returning Feb 21, for $188 + taxes, $260 total.

Total $520 for both.

On Spirit,

His ticket is $150 and yours would be $301.

Total for both $451.

It's a $70 difference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The only issue is that the Taca fares are only good on certain dates. Use their flex schedule when booking to see the days when the special is good.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Add to that that Spirit Airline charges you to check your bags (more if you pay at the airport) - also charges you to pick your seat - Personally, I will NEVER again fly a connecting flight on Spirit - esp. not thru FLL - I had two nightmare trips with them connecting through there from JA - And when you add in all their extra fees and charges, it isn't that great of a bargain -

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

• 2 weeks later...
Add to that that Spirit Airline charges you to check your bags (more if you pay at the airport) - also charges you to pick your seat - Personally, I will NEVER again fly a connecting flight on Spirit - esp. not thru FLL - I had two nightmare trips with them connecting through there from JA - And when you add in all their extra fees and charges, it isn't that great of a bargain -

Yeah I know I hate Spirit too. What was I thinking lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

check the vj poe reviews for whichever airport he makes his poe at

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hello and Best Wishes!!

Before I respond to your question about the POE, I am curious how long the process took you? How do you know that he will get his Immigration Visa in February...or whenever? (This is not a guaranteed process...some people get the visa and others do not.) Where is your timeline? This would help a lot of us in the forum to understand the timeframes and what happened to you during this process.

My answer to your question is as follows: First: You may want/need to buy a round trip ticket for him. (The times that I've returned to the USA from Costa Rica (twice), it was cheaper to buy a round ticket from SJO to MIA/FLL on American Airlines.) Both of these airports are POE. I'm assuming that you are accompanying him back to the USA since you used the word "we"? IF so, ANY POE airport is acceptable so I'd be checking into fares to the cheapest city for your arrival. (Most will be in the southern part of the USA....Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Houston, etc.) Also, I am assuming that you intend to go to his interview in San Jose and then depart fairly quickly afterwards? What if he's not approved or there is a delay? What if you've already purchased the ticket/s????? The low fares are non-refundable tickets. Second: Once you get into the USA, you can buy tickets from whatever city you use as POE to Chicago....and, many airlines have competitively priced ONE WAY flights to ORD.

This is the way I intend to do it "when and if" my fiance' gets her visa. I'm flying to SJO on a RT ticket to/from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Then, when WE are in the USA, I will buy the one-way tickets to our final destination of DAY. Or, I may drive to Miami and drive back to Ohio with her as a little way of seeing the USA on a car trip. LASTLY, the interview at the POE will be very short. Remember, he has already gotten his visa and has been approved so they will just check his papers to be sure he has everything in order and say "Welcome to the United States of America!!!!" Your "waiting time" at any given airport cannot be ascertained by members on this forum because "it all depends" on many factors...time of day/night, number of passengers on the flights arriving from other countries in the world, whether an immigration officer called in sick that day, whether it is lunchtime/dinnertime, etc.

Regards,

Franc

PS Airfares are ALWAYS in a state of flux...you can check online for a price today and IF you do not book it at that moment, it may not be available in an hour. Your ticket to/from the USA is almost a non-issue....except that you will have a return flight from SJO on a specific airline on a specific date/time. So, you will have to buy a ticket from that airline IF you want to fly back with him. I would not worry about whether you choose Spirit, TACA, American Airlines, Delta or any airlines...for me, the issue is the cost of the tickets and nothing else. How much stuff does he intend to bring to the USA? Suggestion: Take a nearly empty suitcase down with yourself and pack it with his stuff along with 1 or 2 others and be done with it.

12.31.2009 I-129F Visa Petition rec'd at CSC

01.04.2010 I-797 NOA Receipt Notice WAC1006xxxxxx

03.02.2010 Request for Evidence: CSC wanted copy of previous divorce decree. Arrived @ CSC 03.12.1010

03.16.2010 I-797 NOA-2 Approved and sent from California Service Center 71 Days from NOA-1

03.16.2010 USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center.

03.23.2010 NVC sent file to U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica! SNJ2010XXXXXX

03.26.2010 Received NVC letter (hard copy) dated March 24, 2010 in the mail.

03.27.2010 File arrived @ U.S. Embassy.

04.07.2010 Embassy called for Elsie to come and get Packet #3. She will pick up April 13th.

04.08.2010 Embassy e-mailed Packet #3 to me today.

04.15.2010 Interview scheduled for 30 April 2010

04.30.2010 Visas approved...pick up everything on 5/4/2010 @ 3pm.

05.05.2010 Traveling together to the USA...POE Denver, Colorado

07.28.2010 Married today...end to a long journey with more to come!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello and Best Wishes!!

Before I respond to your question about the POE, I am curious how long the process took you? How do you know that he will get his Immigration Visa in February...or whenever? (This is not a guaranteed process...some people get the visa and others do not.) Where is your timeline? This would help a lot of us in the forum to understand the timeframes and what happened to you during this process.

My answer to your question is as follows: First: You may want/need to buy a round trip ticket for him. (The times that I've returned to the USA from Costa Rica (twice), it was cheaper to buy a round ticket from SJO to MIA/FLL on American Airlines.) Both of these airports are POE. I'm assuming that you are accompanying him back to the USA since you used the word "we"? IF so, ANY POE airport is acceptable so I'd be checking into fares to the cheapest city for your arrival. (Most will be in the southern part of the USA....Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Houston, etc.) Also, I am assuming that you intend to go to his interview in San Jose and then depart fairly quickly afterwards? What if he's not approved or there is a delay? What if you've already purchased the ticket/s????? The low fares are non-refundable tickets. Second: Once you get into the USA, you can buy tickets from whatever city you use as POE to Chicago....and, many airlines have competitively priced ONE WAY flights to ORD.

This is the way I intend to do it "when and if" my fiance' gets her visa. I'm flying to SJO on a RT ticket to/from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Then, when WE are in the USA, I will buy the one-way tickets to our final destination of DAY. Or, I may drive to Miami and drive back to Ohio with her as a little way of seeing the USA on a car trip. LASTLY, the interview at the POE will be very short. Remember, he has already gotten his visa and has been approved so they will just check his papers to be sure he has everything in order and say "Welcome to the United States of America!!!!" Your "waiting time" at any given airport cannot be ascertained by members on this forum because "it all depends" on many factors...time of day/night, number of passengers on the flights arriving from other countries in the world, whether an immigration officer called in sick that day, whether it is lunchtime/dinnertime, etc.

Regards,

Franc

PS Airfares are ALWAYS in a state of flux...you can check online for a price today and IF you do not book it at that moment, it may not be available in an hour. Your ticket to/from the USA is almost a non-issue....except that you will have a return flight from SJO on a specific airline on a specific date/time. So, you will have to buy a ticket from that airline IF you want to fly back with him. I would not worry about whether you choose Spirit, TACA, American Airlines, Delta or any airlines...for me, the issue is the cost of the tickets and nothing else. How much stuff does he intend to bring to the USA? Suggestion: Take a nearly empty suitcase down with yourself and pack it with his stuff along with 1 or 2 others and be done with it.

Hello! Thanks for the advice! I never got around to making a timeline, but I probably should! I sent the I-130 around August 30th and our interview is Tuesday! So almost 6 months, minus the 1 month I wasted thinking that we were going to receive a "go-ahead" for the affidavit of support/immigration application (didn't realize that the receipt of payment was enough). I have been in Costa Rica since a month before we married, so since last May. Since everything has gone smoothly, we have an abundance of evidence, and there are no complications, I went ahead and bought tickets for 10 days after the interview (a week from Thursday! ahhh!!!!)

I actually was able to find estimated wait-times for permanent resident/visitor lines for the most common POEs, and the times of arrival basically coincided with the longest lines. With like, a 1 hour layover. As you probably know, there isn't a lot of variation in flight times day to day from Costa Rica. Especially among the cheapest flights.

We ended up buying 1 way tickets on Frontier airlines with a 7 hour layover in Denver, so we will sure have plenty of time, and the price was less than 600 for both...not bad at all. Also, for international flights, Frontier gives you 2 free checked bags! A huge plus!

So good luck with your process! I hope that "if" turns into a "when".

Pura vida,

Rachel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.