spongey

Can she live separately ?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a US citizen, my wife is a UK citizen and we are married, we will be applying for CR-1, now i wanted to know one thing, since my wife wants to complete her education can she stay in philly(she is studying there ) while I stay up in new york ( where my business is) until she completes her education? Also will I have to pay for education, since it was her family sponsoring it before we got married but after AOS can she also work and pay for it herself ?

Thanks!

Edited by spongey

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am a US citizen, my wife is a UK citizen and we are married, we will be applying for CR-1, now i wanted to know one thing, since my wife wants to complete her education can she stay in philly(she is studying there ) while I stay up in new york ( where my business is) until she completes her education? Also will I have to pay for education, since it was her family sponsoring it before we got married but after AOS can she also work and pay for it herself ?

Thanks!

Who pays for the education is a personal decision and has nothing to do with immigration

YMMV

Thanks!

Imagine you are a consular officer or USCIS Officer and then read what you have just posted. Do not think as yourself but as an immigration officer. I think you will answer your own question.

As far as who has to pay for her education - her parents can pay for whatever they wish to pay. I am not up on the CR1 but I believe she can work provided you comeplete the proper forms during the process. I would not advise living apart until such a time that she has adjusted status etc ....

Really though, the way your questions are worded and what you ask - I would hope a CO is not browsing the site!!!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

What do you mean by Philly? Philadelphia? If she is here on a student visa you dont need a CR-I you can just adjust the status of her visa.

08/2006 met in GA, U.S.

05/2007 Antje had to go back to Germany

10/2009 got engaged in TN

12/31/2009 got married

1/7/2010 I-130 sent

1/9/2010 I-130 delivered

1/13/2010 check cashed

1/15/2010 NOA 1

3/18/2010 NOA 2

jA5hp1.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
What do you mean by Philly? Philadelphia? If she is here on a student visa you dont need a CR-I you can just adjust the status of her visa.

That would be adjusting the status of a person. Visas don't have status that can be adjusted. In an adjustment of status case, CR1 is a status, not a visa category. In a visa case, it is both.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

If you are filing a CR1 from the USA, then once the visa is granted they do not have to file to adjust status, but they will have to file to remove conditions prior to the 2 year mark. If she is entering as a student and you are adjusting her status from a student to resident, then you will have to show evidence of living as husband and wife. Understandably, there are circumstances where some couple have to live apart for work and school, however I would say that this could be a red flag that there is intent for immigration fraud.

However, if you establish a residence together, accounts together, proof of spending significant time together it is possible to overcome these issues. But living in different states will create some issues with the process.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Other Timeline

Every person lives separately, with the exception of conjoined twins. It gets a bit more difficult in the animal world, but I understand what you were trying to say.

In about 2 years, you guys will have to file for Removal of Conditions (ROC), at which time you will have to show cohabitation. If your wife's formal education is finished before that, you should be able to do this successfully; however, if she needs to stay another 2 years or longer in Philly, you may have a problem.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You just want to be able to demonstrate that you are bona fide a married couple. The scenario is certainly believable. It may require you two to be more diligent in keeping evidence (mail addressed to both of you, joint accounts/memberships, medical insurance, life insurance, etc.

Comingled finances are a big thing in the eyes of the adjudicators. Filing joint tax returns, having joint bank accounts, etc.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

As a student myself with a similar situation I would not recommend living separately. In my case, when I was dating my now husband I moved with my parents to a house literally 2 min from him (walking distance). After we got married I asked my lawyer if we could stay living apart till I finish my degree and could aford to move out to a decent place with my husband (we both have very crowded houses and living with the in-laws was not the ideal scenarios we had planned for). In our case, we would see each other EVERYDAY, and even with that our lawyer recommended us to move in together because if not the immigration officer had no choice but to really dig deep to make sure it was a legitimate marriage(he said that this would raise our chances of having a stoke interview to 95%) . As you can guess, i am living in a tiny room at my in-laws house. I got my greencard though :) I hope that helps.

Is there no way to compromise like living between the two cities or having one of you commute? Isn't it only like 2 hours away? Does she have to go to school every day?

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.