Bosco

Arabic

22 posts in this topic

What websites/books or programs have you found most helpful? What tips can you share?

I think this is the best book for learning the Arabic alphabet The Arabic Alphabet It breaks it down and makes what can seem like a HUGE challenge very easy.

I consider these two the best dictionaries around:

Arabic-English ~ Hans Wehr This one uses the root system. Getting the roots down goes a long way in comprehension, because even if you don't understand a particular word, you can usually derive its meaning. The drawback is that it is only Arabic-English (great to have for the men).

and Al Mawrid English to Arabic and Arabic to English. If you are just starting out, this is a great reference (albeit pricey).

I also find listening to music helps with pronunciation. Anyone else?

Filed: Timeline
and Al Mawrid English to Arabic and Arabic to English. If you are just starting out, this is a great reference (albeit pricey).

This book is great! :thumbs: It's pricey but well worth every penny! The only down side to this book is that it's only Arabic-English so if I want to translate from English to Arabic I have to look in one of my other dictionaries and then look up the Arabic word in this one to make sure it's not slang LOL.

I have Hans Wehr too but it's so small I can barely read anything... especially the Arabic text! :(

The Madeenah University E-books are great for learning to read formal (Quran) Arabic.... these are the actual workbooks they use at Madeenah University, just in e-book form for free download and printing. There used to be a website to accompany them that would teach you how to pronounce the words but it's been down for a while now. I'll check it tonight when I get home to see if it's still down inshallah.

I don't listen to music but there are some vocal or duff only nasheeds that I find helpful in learning to pronounce some things as well.

Of course the number one source for me is to listen to al-Quran being recited and also listening to lectures on CD by the scholars.... they'll give the lecture in Arabic and then someone will translate in English and that's helpful because you start to realize after a while that you're catching words here and there.

Yousuf also helps me practice my Arabic by letting me start our conversations in Arabic and then we'll just take it as long as I can before I run out of words or start getting confused :unsure: by what he's saying LOL.

We (me and the kids) also practice our Arabic around the house by using any Arabic word we know instead of the English word... it's like a game... it sounds something like "spanglish" :lol: We need to come up with a name for the Arabic/English mix! :help:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm an utter failure when it comes to teach yourself arabic. I've tried and stopped so many times it's not even funny. I also was an ardent collector of teach yourself arabic books. I think I have at least 10 different programs sitting on the shelf at home. le sigh.

However, I have had the most sucess with is this - Mastering Arabic. I'm going to kick myself in the butt this weekend (maybe tonight) and buckle down again. I like this book because although I've learned the arabic alphabet on numerous occasions, I have a horrid memory retention, and forget a lot of it. This book introduced 4 or 5 letters each lesson, and keeps the same format throughout - learn the letters, learn some words with those letters, use them in sentences, etc. I unfortunatly don't have the cds or tapes that go with it, but with a native arabic speaker at home, I'm going to have him make up listening activities for me.

I also bought this set a few years ago and haven't even opened it yet. :blush: I may crack that one open this weekend and see if I can stick with it better than my last attempts.

When I actually took an arabic course in college, I found

201 Arabic Verbs in Fully Conjugated Form to be very helpful.

And, I'm pretty sure UW Madison uses this series, and my friends who took it there were pretty happy with them.

I think maybe I need a study partner who'll remind me to keep it up.

Oh, I forgot to add -

I found this book to be the most useful of all :whistle:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

The UW Madison series is what the use at The Arabic Language Institute in Fez. Hmm, now I am torn between this and the Rosetta Stone program. Maybe if I invest in both, I will feel so guilty I will be forced to study. I have also tossed about enrolling online at Arab Academy

Part of the problem is I have learned a fair amount of Darija (Moroccan dialect) and I don't necessarily know which terms are solely Darija and which are both.

I love this site with the Arabic Alphabet Song. :blush:

Maybe if there is a group of us interested, we could work out some type of study group/online meeting time.

Rebecca

I'm an utter failure when it comes to teach yourself arabic. I've tried and stopped so many times it's not even funny. I also was an ardent collector of teach yourself arabic books. I think I have at least 10 different programs sitting on the shelf at home. le sigh.

However, I have had the most sucess with is this - Mastering Arabic. I'm going to kick myself in the butt this weekend (maybe tonight) and buckle down again. I like this book because although I've learned the arabic alphabet on numerous occasions, I have a horrid memory retention, and forget a lot of it. This book introduced 4 or 5 letters each lesson, and keeps the same format throughout - learn the letters, learn some words with those letters, use them in sentences, etc. I unfortunatly don't have the cds or tapes that go with it, but with a native arabic speaker at home, I'm going to have him make up listening activities for me.

I also bought this set a few years ago and haven't even opened it yet. :blush: I may crack that one open this weekend and see if I can stick with it better than my last attempts.

When I actually took an arabic course in college, I found

201 Arabic Verbs in Fully Conjugated Form to be very helpful.

And, I'm pretty sure UW Madison uses this series, and my friends who took it there were pretty happy with them.

I think maybe I need a study partner who'll remind me to keep it up.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

ive found its difficult to learn arabic because of all the differnt accents. my husband of course can tell where a person is from by the accent. he teaches me some words on occasion.

his mom likes to talk to me on the phone and i try to speak a little to her. u know the usual...keefic, salamalakum, allahmack, marhaba. u know the little greetings.

it just tickles her tho. makes her happy.

Edited by donnaal

Timeline

Found this link today - might be worth investigating

The Complete Islamic University Of Medinah Two Year Arabic Curriculum

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'll be in the study group!! Now that I've finished school I have no excuse not to study Arabic! So let's go girls - who's in?

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We (me and the kids) also practice our Arabic around the house by using any Arabic word we know instead of the English word... it's like a game... it sounds something like "spanglish" :lol: We need to come up with a name for the Arabic/English mix! :help:

We call Moroccan/English, Morglish. I'm sure Arabic/English could be either Arglish or Englabic.

I am now just learning some words and finding "Instant Immersion: Arabic" to be fun, and simple. Like I said I'm a very beginnerand would like to understand the words before I write them. As soon as I unerstand the meaning and the pronunciation. I know it seems wierd and maybe backwards or the long way, but I'll learn the written word faster that way. Anyway, I would like to be part of this possible study group. It sounds like it would be a good way to stay on track.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline
This site lists links to downloads to many different Arabic fonts. Not necessarily conducive to learning but they sure are pretty :blush:

Arabic fonts

Ooooo, I'm going to forward it to husband to download on our computer at home :thumbs:

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.