NaNaNaNaBooBoo

Do I need to live in the U.S. to have K-1 approved?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Do I have to live in the U.S. to get approved for the K-1? If we were approved tomorrow, could we use the visa in January '07, and then live in the U.S. permanently?

This is why I ask:

My life is so lost and crazy right now. I was offered a job at the U.S. State Department in Washington, D.C., and just awaitng a security clearance, but they just told me yesterday since I lived overseas, I probobly won't get the clearance until January 2007. I took a temp job just until I got this one, but it just doesn't make enough money to support my little family, especially if I need to pay for daycare since my fiance hasn't even been approved yet. Through his tears, my finance told me he is done, if we do not hear anything from immigration by Aug. 31st, I have to move to South Africa, as it will be a year next week since we have seen each other and he still has never met his daughter. So I have 5 months to figure out what to do with my life and my daughter. The best option is to finish grad school in South Africa where I can be with my fiance, get my degree, and be ready for the D.C. the timing is perfect as classes end in December. The challenging part, is that classes start next MONDAY!!!! It would take alot of work in the next few days, but it can be done. Sadly, a visit just wouldn't work as $2,000 for a plane ticket, I don't even make that much in month. Baruti is a Congolese refugee residing in Cape Town, South Africa where my university is.

What do you think, would this screw up our process?

Desparately need to guidence,

Monica

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Do I have to live in the U.S. to get approved for the K-1? If we were approved tomorrow, could we use the visa in January '07, and then live in the U.S. permanently?

This is why I ask:

My life is so lost and crazy right now. I was offered a job at the U.S. State Department in Washington, D.C., and just awaitng a security clearance, but they just told me yesterday since I lived overseas, I probobly won't get the clearance until January 2007. I took a temp job just until I got this one, but it just doesn't make enough money to support my little family, especially if I need to pay for daycare since my fiance hasn't even been approved yet. Through his tears, my finance told me he is done, if we do not hear anything from immigration by Aug. 31st, I have to move to South Africa, as it will be a year next week since we have seen each other and he still has never met his daughter. So I have 5 months to figure out what to do with my life and my daughter. The best option is to finish grad school in South Africa where I can be with my fiance, get my degree, and be ready for the D.C. the timing is perfect as classes end in December. The challenging part, is that classes start next MONDAY!!!! It would take alot of work in the next few days, but it can be done. Sadly, a visit just wouldn't work as $2,000 for a plane ticket, I don't even make that much in month. Baruti is a Congolese refugee residing in Cape Town, South Africa where my university is.

What do you think, would this screw up our process?

Desparately need to guidence,

Monica

Sure.. if you got the visa today, it would expire 6 months later or in February 2007. However, you could not travel to the US until you were ready to use the visa.

But a better option may be for you to get married and then use DCF in Jo'burg. It would result in a Permanent Resident Visa which is much better in your case and would allow your spouse to go back and forth to the US. You could apply for it in person at the Consulate and it would take about 3 or 4 months until your fianceer would get the visa. Since you would be a resident of S. Africa, you would be eligible for this process. Just be sure that you keep your ties to the US...

Go to the DCF forum to get more information. There have been a few individuals who have done DCF through Johannesburg recently.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

Sure.. if you got the visa today, it would expire 6 months later or in February 2007. However, you could not travel to the US until you were ready to use the visa.

But a better option may be for you to get married and then use DCF in Jo'burg. It would result in a Permanent Resident Visa which is much better in your case and would allow your spouse to go back and forth to the US. You could apply for it in person at the Consulate and it would take about 3 or 4 months until your fianceer would get the visa. Since you would be a resident of S. Africa, you would be eligible for this process. Just be sure that you keep your ties to the US...

Go to the DCF forum to get more information. There have been a few individuals who have done DCF through Johannesburg recently.

Thank you so much for this info. This really may be the way to go. When you mention ties to the U.S. do you mean stay in touch with my family in the U.S. who I can live with at any time?

Thank you!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you so much for this info. This really may be the way to go. When you mention ties to the U.S. do you mean stay in touch with my family in the U.S. who I can live with at any time?

Thank you!

The issue is domicile....meaning that your primary residence is still in the US and you are temporarily abroad. Evidence of keeing your domicile in the US is evidence such as valid driver licenses, voter registration, income tax returns, bank statements, investments, etc.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.