The_Dude

Off Topic Part Quatre

3,936 posts in this topic

So, I just went for a job interview, which was more like a job questionnaire. They gave me this 5 page booklet of hypothetical scenarios and theoretical questions and asked me to write up detailed responses. It seriously took me almost an hour to complete it! I mean, it would have been easier for someone to ask me these questions and then have me respond verbally, right? Maybe they're testing out my writing and spelling skills? :lol:

So anyways, I do that, talk to the manager for about 5 seconds, get home, sit down on the computer and the phone rings. It's them. They want me to come back in at 1 for a "formal interview" geez! I mean, I'm happy they called me, I guess my responses worked well enough, but wouldn't it have made more sense to do it all at once? It's not like they're next door!

Oh well, if I get the job then I won't have any problems with this at all... :lol:

:lol: I wouldn't be hired if they saw MY writing skills!! EEEkkk I have terrible penmanship! Cool about them calling you back so soon though...hope it all goes well! :)

I got the job!

:dance:

I've got a brief orientation and walkthrough later today, then it looks like I'll actually be starting tomorrow morning! :o

I'm a little on the fence about some aspects of the position, but it IS a significant job with a high-profile arts organization, so I'm not going to complain. I'm just grateful that I was able to get a job so quickly, and on the arts side of management / administration to boot! :D

That's great!! Sounds like a very interesting job. I'll be happy right now just to ask, "did you want a large coke with that?"

:blink: If I see or hear anyone complain about getting a job, I will freak the eff out. :angry:

You have been warned. :yes: LOL

:rofl: I'm with you! :thumbs:

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is the monstrosity I walked into at work today. Is that not the ugliest thing you have ever seen? It doesn't match with the decor or anything. I get to walk by this every single day for the rest of the summer. Bleh.

Oh and look carefully! Do you see the birds nest and the fake butterflies? :lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

This is the monstrosity I walked into at work today. Is that not the ugliest thing you have ever seen? It doesn't match with the decor or anything. I get to walk by this every single day for the rest of the summer. Bleh.

Oh and look carefully! Do you see the birds nest and the fake butterflies? :lol:

it would look ok if they got rid of that stuff that is sticking out of the top...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

... omg it's like Easter vomit.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

Every season the florist brings us in a new one... she lets us have them in exchange for allowing her business cards sit there alongside. This is by far the worst.

... omg it's like Easter vomit.

EGG SACTLY! :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Woohooooo!

Yay Wyatt, you really are rocking the USA thing, eh? Geez. I can't even get a damn Green card or SSN sent to my house!

;)

This is awesome news -- you give me hope! I am actually in the midst of redoing my resume and stuff as we speak -- it's been awhile, that's for sure.

:)

Congrats Wyatt and congrats Huggles -- hope you get a job soon too!

:D

I got the job!

:dance:

I've got a brief orientation and walkthrough later today, then it looks like I'll actually be starting tomorrow morning! :o

I'm a little on the fence about some aspects of the position, but it IS a significant job with a high-profile arts organization, so I'm not going to complain. I'm just grateful that I was able to get a job so quickly, and on the arts side of management / administration to boot! :D

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

So, apparently Colorado has a bigger Canadian population than expected. The owners of the company I had the interview with today are Canadian... Two interviews, two Canadians, pretty amusing. I'm starting to think these people called me because I'm Canadian... which is an interesting twist! I assumed it would really work against me.

I think it went really well, and I don't think there are many other candidates, so I like my chances. It was a craigslist posting and very very vague... I almost didn't apply because it seemed weird- it was only a sentence. We'll see what happens! Hours are good, benefits are good, paid vacation time pretty much immediately, profit sharing program, I can dig it.

Ashen- I didn't end up doing the Yahoo interview... it seemed kinda weird. Like you said, even if it wasn't a scam do I really want to work for a company that does interviews over an internet messenger? Probably not. No matter how many candidates you have or how busy you are, there really isn't an excuse for not making the phone call, or at least a personalized e-mail.

Sprail- That thing is awful! It looks like a beautiful building with classy architecture... and then a giant fake butterfly nest thingy slapped in the middle. Not very fitting!

Lgg- Thanks! :D Good luck getting your SSN and GC!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on the jobs!! When I first moved to the USA, I truly had no plan to really work as we agreed that if I moved here, I didnt have to work,lol. But of course that gets boring pretty quick! So I put ads on craiglist and my big highlite was that I was CANADIAN,lol And yep, i got a lot of job offers, just because i was Canadian! Now mind you I was only looking for odd jobs just to keep myself busy and nothing that would tie me down to a fixed schedule. Worked out great for me!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

The wisteria came out yesterday along the sides of the roads here - beautiful, cascading curtains of lovely mauve and purple flowers that extend for hundreds of yards in some places along the sides of the road. It is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen - it always makes me feel so happy :)

On the other side of the coin though, the pollen is terrible! Everything is covered with yellow green dust and as you drive down the road you see clouds of pollen dust swirl around the road the same way snow does in winter. I am not allergic to it, fortunately, but it definitely gets into my eyes and nose and I sneeze and my eyes get gritty. The below chart shows what pollen levels are and what we are getting right now - pretty incredible!

Pollen Count Chart:

0-30 = Low

31-60 = Moderate

61-120 = High

120+ = Extremely High

Today's pollen count: 2967

Major Pollens Presents: Birch

Maple

Oak

Sweetgum

Willow

http://atlantaallerg...ollenCount.aspx

ATLANTA (MyFOX ATLANTA) - Spring finally has sprung for Metro Atlanta, but with the blooming flowers and chirping birds, has also come a thick film of pollen. The yellow haze seems to have settled on everything and allergy sufferers are feeling the season's miserable effects.

In several days, pollen counts in Metro Atlanta have seen a dramatic rise. According to the Atlanta Allergy & Asthma Clinic, on Wednesday, the count was 17 particles per cubic meter of air. The count steadily rose to 59 on Thursday and 112 on Friday. By Monday, the pollen count reached a whopping 1633 and that number nearly doubled to 2967 on Tuesday.

http://www.myfoxatla...ufferers-040610

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Congrats on the job Shaun!! :)

And congrats on the second interview Huggles! :)

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

I'm so glad I dont get spring allergies :lol:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I used to get terrible allergies in Canada... I don't get any down here. But my husband gets terrible allergies down here, and used to be fine in Canada... :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Wyatt...congrats on the job!

Huggles....good luck!

Allergies...I have never had any but I am beginning to suspect that I am developing them...must be the clean New Jersey air :)

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

the doctor's appointment went ok I guess.. I spent almost 2 hours waiting in the waiting room but when I finally got called back I only was there for maybe 10 minutes if that... The doctor basically said , " if you have gallstones we remove the gallbladder" ... the way he said it it sounded like there were no other options

so I guess they are going to schedule me for surgery in the next couple of weeks.. :S he said you are in the hospital for about a day and then you need a couple of weeks for recovery....

I don't think my kidney infection is getting better :unsure: it still bothers me... I have about 6 or 7 more days of antibiotics left though.. I see my doctor on Friday so I will tell him about it then..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.